Potential donor cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

Kimblecattle

Reaction score
Anyone have any opinions on this cow? I am looking to use her as a donor for my own cows as well as sell embryos from her, is she good enough quality to sell embryos? Also what angus bull would make the best cross for her genetics in your opinion? Just looking for opinions, Thanks!

This is her, she just weaned off her first calf, it sucked her down alittle but still in decent flesh

The pedigree is one of many. She has proven nothing with one calf. Wait until she is 8 YO, has calved and raised 7 natural calves and the calves have been in successful production. Then she might be worthy to be a donor. All she is right now is the first 5 minutes of an hour's dream. Will also give you 6 years to figure out which bulls you will know to use without asking here.

Any "special" reason she was not bred back already? How old was her calf that was just weaned? Sire? Weaning wt? Would make a difference on how you might breed her back, and whether she would even be a good candidate for a donor. I kind of like her pedigree, and not offended by her photo, just a bit questionable on the fertility/production part without knowing all the details.

kdhansen":l01alxie said:
Any "special" reason she was not bred back already? How old was her calf that was just weaned? Sire? Weaning wt? Would make a difference on how you might breed her back, and whether she would even be a good candidate for a donor. I kind of like her pedigree, and not offended by her photo, just a bit questionable on the fertility/production part without knowing all the details.
Well she does have a 30 milk EPD...

She was left open due to her pedigree and being a candidate for flushing, I feel she is a very marketable cow with many traits that are rather impressive, my main question is if you had one bull to breed to that pedigree what bull would it be,really just looking for ideas

What do you see as impressive? What isn't? Find a bull to fix what isn't and maintain what is and breed her to him. See how she does and give her time. With one calf on the ground and her pretty much unproven, doesn't justify a donor cow in my humble opinion.

Ebenezer":cy0yxh9p said:
The pedigree is one of many. She has proven nothing with one calf. Wait until she is 8 YO, has calved and raised 7 natural calves and the calves have been in successful production. Then she might be worthy to be a donor. All she is right now is the first 5 minutes of an hour's dream. Will also give you 6 years to figure out which bulls you will know to use without asking here.

i might have been a bit more gentle but i agree. iv2e n2ever u2nderst2ood the rus2h to ma2ke donors 2out of cow2s2 2that2 don't have2 an2y cal2ves2 to sh2ow 2for themse2lves.2

btw2 my tw2o key is2 stuck

Kimblecattle":r8ltt44i said:
my main question is if you had one bull to breed to that pedigree what bull would it be,really just looking for ideas

occ embla2zon or pa2xton -just guessing wi2thout seeing wh2at2 the calv2es need.

Ebenezer":228zqdwt said:

If you're merely trying to grow numbers as quickly as reasonably possible ... OR ... you're trying to enter the expensive world of promoting specific cattle ... then your objectives are quite different. In the first case, take the cows (regardless of age) you like the best and try to flush them to the best bulls you can find who'll help you meet your objectives. In the second case, either look for super outcross genetics so you can hopefully make and sell some sons -- or -- find and use the fancy bulls everyone else is using and try to out-promote the other guys doing the same sorts of things you're trying to do.

If, on the other hand, you're trying to make some spectacular and productive cattle for you and your clients, the best cow to flush is 8-10 years old (or older) and you have known production records out of several of her natural daughters and have seen the calves by (and possibly grand-calves by) at least one of her sons.

Good luck to you.

If wanting to sell embryos, then listen to what others have said. If she will greatly improve your existing herd, then flush her and use your existing cows as recips if they produce enough milk.

Kimble

Nice pedigree on the cow and phenotype looks good. I have to admit I am not a fan of flushing a young cow, however I have been guilty of purchasing embryos from young cows and have to tell you 95% of the time have been very disappointed with the outcome. You can go to our website and look at embryos we have for sale and you will find that they are all out of old proven cows. At this point you have a nice cow that hasn't accomplished anything on her own as yet. Heck you don't even know if she would have bred back since you held her open to flush. I guess when you have a bad experience with ET and young cows it does change your opinion. I sent two really high pedigree high dollar ET first calf heifers to the sale barn along with their first calves this year due to bad feet. Based on their pedigrees I could have sold embryos all day heck if I took pictures of the cows in tall grass they would have still looked great but the truth was they needed their feet trimmed right behind the ears. If your going to spend $ on setting up recips to get ET calves I would sure recommend putting in eggs out of cows with a track record.

gizmom

Latest posts