post hole digger

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I need to dig some holes where i cant get my bobcat or tractor. The dirt is like concrete here since its so dry... I have new cutting edges on my one may auger and it still doesnt dig any lower than 6 inches... does anyone know of a trick to get it to dig down further or should i just saturate the ground where i want to dig with water and dig a lil bit at a time ?

skyhightree1":23npmaxv said:
I need to dig some holes where i cant get my bobcat or tractor. The dirt is like concrete here since its so dry... I have new cutting edges on my one may auger and it still doesnt dig any lower than 6 inches... does anyone know of a trick to get it to dig down further or should i just saturate the ground where i want to dig with water and dig a lil bit at a time ?
That's how it's done

It's not all that bad, just fill to hole with and wait until the water seaps down. Keep working the hole down until you're deep enough. I've had to dig several holes in this manner and waiting on the hole to dry up trys one's patience. I usually have to wait until the next day to resume digging.

Another thing I'd suggest is to go to a farm & ranch store to look for a digging bar. The bar that I have is 6' long, roughly 1 1/8" in diameter, a flat 2 1/2" round end on the top (for tamping) and a 2 1/2 chisel point on the bottom for digging. It's a lot of fun to use as it weighs about 15 pounds or so. The bar will cost between $20 and $30 depending where you buy it, but it's worth it!

Good luck and have "fun" with it.

Fly-guy":105wgxkz said:
Another thing I'd suggest is to go to a farm & ranch store to look for a digging bar. The bar that I have is 6' long, roughly 1 1/8" in diameter, a flat 2 1/2" round end on the top (for tamping) and a 2 1/2 chisel point on the bottom for digging. It's a lot of fun to use as it weighs about 15 pounds or so.

Your definition of fun and my definition of fun are quite a bit different :D

jkwilson":j1ry4am7 said:
Fly-guy":j1ry4am7 said:
Another thing I'd suggest is to go to a farm & ranch store to look for a digging bar. The bar that I have is 6' long, roughly 1 1/8" in diameter, a flat 2 1/2" round end on the top (for tamping) and a 2 1/2 chisel point on the bottom for digging. It's a lot of fun to use as it weighs about 15 pounds or so.

Your definition of fun and my definition of fun are quite a bit different :D

It is surprising what high humidity and a little bit of heat will do to you isn't it? My wife claims that it has warped my mind.

Use a water blaster. If you want you can control the size of the hole by using a pipe. Blast the dirt away with the wand inside the pipe. Most of the dirt will flow out with the water. The pipe will drop down as you blast away the dirt. Clean out what is left of the dirt when the water is soaked up, or displace the water with the post and fresh sand gravel or concrete.

well it was supposed to rain but it didnt... but i guess tomorrow i will start the water and wait method and use my digger bar... luckily i only have 5 holes to do. Someone needs to share some rain with us out here.. im dropping hay this weekend for the cattle.

Latest posts