POSSIBLE SIRES FOR SHOW STEERS

Help Support CattleToday:

Avalon

Reaction score
I'm interested in opinions here. We've always raised purebred Angus. Now that my son is in college he wants to take some of the more showy heifers and cows and breed them to a steer bull. I need a low birth weight bull we can use on anything. Ali is out (price and availablility) and so is paddy o malley (possible calving issues). we are looking at SVF star power. What are the thoughts out there.

Who Made Who is good for thickness and style and if some come out heifers they are also very good. Doctor Who (a Who Made Who son) is also good and stylish.

Hard Core has some very nice calves with great hair. Low birth wieghts.

I also like Kadabra, his calves are thick and have lots of style, I don't hink he is known as a big steer bull. Also the Maine bull Money Man is very good on bithwieghts and also has good claves steers and heifers.

New design 878 ,In Focus, N Bar Prime Time are just a few on the ABS Global directory for calving ease and carcass merit. or you can go to absglobal.com to look for something that catches your eye that would cross with your herd, happy picking.

I think that you would be very pleased with Star Power, I have seen his dam and we have had calves out of his sire and they will give you the growth and power that your looking for. An added bonus is that when selling them you can let the buyers know that they can be showed in all the simmental junior programs for the steers and the heifer can even be shown as a percentage at shows like the NAILE, Kansas City, Houston, and Denver. Plus your not ruling out the heifer calves because that F1 cross will make you great momma cows. As you can tell I'm not a big fan of club calf bulls unless they are purebred or F1's because they are so unpredicable.

If you are trying to jump right in and raise some show steers I would go directly to a clubby bull. WMW will downsize a bit, but definately add muscle , hair, and that showy look to your steers, and, his females can be very valuable in the showcalf world when you get a good one, WMW is the sire of many clubby bulls He's $20. His son DRwho is arguably better, throwing sound, functional females and steers that are real pretty. He's $25. I really like Ali and have had some great showcalves out of him. There are some places where he is $25 I believe. I have also seen some real nice Hannibal calves this fall, good made and hairy. If you are willing to wait a couple years I would suggest to use a simmi bull on ur angus to get some good simangus girls to raise some showsteers....good luck

Simme Valley Macho As U, ASA #2,178168 - homozygous black, homozygous polled, trait leader for Birth weight, frame 5.6. Throws extemely structurally sound, big butted, big loined, show calves. Angus & Simmental breeders love him.
Cattle Vision, Genetic Horizon SEK, Bull Barn & Bull's Eye have his semen.
You can check him out at:
http://www.SimmeValley.com
Black heifer in pic is a Macho daughter:
Tequila__Tokyo_Rose_10-07_pix.jpg

Thanks for all the replies. We've opted to go with Star Power. My firts goal was to maintain Heterosis on this cross, which this bull helps us to do. Another factor was that a local simi breeder has allready offered us a deal on any resultant weaned heifers. How can I refuse??????
I've seen the reccomendations from some of you guys on the more clubby bulls. My question to you is do you know that you can rely on them do deliver a low birthweight calf that wont kill a heifer? Yhanks again for all the input.

My personal favorite would be kadabra. i've always done really good with his calves and they end up with a ton of hair. [my kadabra calf this year had about 2 inches of the wooly stuff on him].

WMW for a steer isn't a good choice IMO. he throws alot of steers with bad walking problems. i had a calf sired by him and his hooves didn't develop past a certain weight and he didnt' grow he finished out at 1025. lots of hair though.

now DrWho i haven't had any problems with i have a bull calf out of him right now and i am verry impressed with how he is doing. he strides out and has a ton of hair.

then again you can always look at The Golden Child and Home Brew. their 3/4 brohters and out of heat wave X wmw. they throw big sound hairy calves. and both are PHA free.

Grand Chaser":mmd1ey7m said:
My personal favorite would be kadabra. i've always done really good with his calves and they end up with a ton of hair. [my kadabra calf this year had about 2 inches of the wooly stuff on him].

WMW for a steer isn't a good choice IMO. he throws alot of steers with bad walking problems. i had a calf sired by him and his hooves didn't develop past a certain weight and he didnt' grow he finished out at 1025. lots of hair though.

now DrWho i haven't had any problems with i have a bull calf out of him right now and i am verry impressed with how he is doing. he strides out and has a ton of hair.

then again you can always look at The Golden Child and Home Brew. their 3/4 brohters and out of heat wave X wmw. they throw big sound hairy calves. and both are PHA free.
How are those calving ease bulls?? yes doctor who and who made who, but the others???

I have not had any calving issues with Hard Core (65-75 lb calves) , Money Man (65-75 lb calves), Kadabra (65-75 lb calves), Who made Who (70-80 lb calves) or Dr. Who (70-80 lb calves).

i [/b]highly recomend in focus im 13 and i show simmental but i had a couple angus heifers i got them aied to him and the calves were beautiful his calves have a low birth weight but grow like weeds :D i would only use him for heifers though

my 2 calves placed grand champion and reserve grand champion i think hes your best luck for heifers :p

National Treasure
Godfather x Taz (Heat Wave's Dam)
Birth Date: 3/8/05
Birth Weight: 85 lbs.
TH Free!!

If you want a steer you won't want to cross Ali with an angus anyway. I haven't used this bull yet, but i plan to. 85 lbs. might be more than you want.

Latest posts