• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Possible replacements, pic em apart..

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 2, 2004
Messages
3,857
Reaction score
3
Location
Kentucky


1/2 Angus 1/2 Char heifer 5 1/2 months old



6 1/2 month old Reg. Angus
 

DOC HARRIS

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 26, 2005
Messages
3,256
Reaction score
0
Location
Ft. Collins, CO
#1 - Yes

#2 - No. She has sloping rump which will NOT improve with age, fine boned, "breedy head", reasonably good top line for a calf, sickle hocked. Depending to great extent on her dam, she probably will not be too successful with "Feed Efficiency" testing results. How successful is her dam in the "Great Breeding Cow" classification department? Successful is as Successful DOES!

DOC HARRIS
 

KNERSIE

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 16, 2006
Messages
7,058
Reaction score
0
Location
3rd World
Really like the first one.

The second heifer lack to balance and substance I want. I don't see the slight slope she has from hooks to pins as a problem, although her structure isn't perfect her sickle hockedness is still well within the accepted limits.
 

ANAZAZI

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 29, 2007
Messages
2,946
Reaction score
0
Location
Sweden
The first one is great. The black heifer is not on her level but she is not hopeless, merely a little thinner in conformation imo.
( and I am no fan of either angus nor charolais)
 

mnmtranching

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 29, 2006
Messages
5,061
Reaction score
0
Location
MN
Both heifers will work just fine for replacements. How the heck did you get a black calf from 1/2 char 1/2 Angus. I've had 100's of the F-1 cross and never seen it. Sometimes from the F-1 cow bred black we get a black calf.
 

grand chaser09

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 3, 2008
Messages
428
Reaction score
0
#1 a deff yess, good bone, width and depth. nice heifer.
#2 needs more bone, lacking in muscling in the rear, keen boned, and note very level from her hooks to her pins.
 

3waycross

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 10, 2007
Messages
14,448
Reaction score
0
Location
Colorado
mnmtranching":kjvwsmtn said:
Both heifers will work just fine for replacements. How the heck did you get a black calf from 1/2 char 1/2 Angus. I've had 100's of the F-1 cross and never seen it. Sometimes from the F-1 cow bred black we get a black calf.


You have the tags mixed up. The first one is the 1/2&1/2. The second is a reg Angus
 

billy

Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2009
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
To answer your question about getting a black charolais angus cross.
You need to get a registered/papered purebred Homozygous Black charolais bull. You can only get them in Canada right now but youll see them quickly in the states Three trees Ranch out of Georgia has some they bought from Canada and I have heard of some females going into Alabama also. Grace farms out of missouri has a few purebred black charolais out of Canada as well as some people down by Kansas. It will be the way to go pretty soon since the angus cross commercial breeders want to add frame and size to there commercial heard. The more pounds they can put on there calves = more$ in there pocket with still retaining the black hide. Talked to one breeder in Canada who uses these black bulls and he said he would not go back to the angus sires because he gets more weaning weight on his calves out of the black charolais bulls and in his words "they still sell calves by the pound". He also followed some of his calves through the feedlots and said ALL of the angus /black char calves were sold to the packers and went AAA and choice angus beef because they fit the criteria and had black hides which I found quite interesting.
 

*Cowgirl*

Well-known member
Joined
May 19, 2006
Messages
2,924
Reaction score
0
Location
Middle Tennessee
billy":20loogc4 said:
To answer your question about getting a black charolais angus cross.
You need to get a registered/papered purebred Homozygous Black charolais bull. You can only get them in Canada right now but youll see them quickly in the states Three trees Ranch out of Georgia has some they bought from Canada and I have heard of some females going into Alabama also. Grace farms out of missouri has a few purebred black charolais out of Canada as well as some people down by Kansas. It will be the way to go pretty soon since the angus cross commercial breeders want to add frame and size to there commercial heard. The more pounds they can put on there calves = more$ in there pocket with still retaining the black hide. Talked to one breeder in Canada who uses these black bulls and he said he would not go back to the angus sires because he gets more weaning weight on his calves out of the black charolais bulls and in his words "they still sell calves by the pound". He also followed some of his calves through the feedlots and said ALL of the angus /black char calves were sold to the packers and went AAA and choice angus beef because they fit the criteria and had black hides which I found quite interesting.
oxymoron? - how do you ever get a black 100% char calf?
 

3waycross

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 10, 2007
Messages
14,448
Reaction score
0
Location
Colorado
*Cowgirl*":rxb1gn26 said:
billy":rxb1gn26 said:
To answer your question about getting a black charolais angus cross.
You need to get a registered/papered purebred Homozygous Black charolais bull. You can only get them in Canada right now but youll see them quickly in the states Three trees Ranch out of Georgia has some they bought from Canada and I have heard of some females going into Alabama also. Grace farms out of missouri has a few purebred black charolais out of Canada as well as some people down by Kansas. It will be the way to go pretty soon since the angus cross commercial breeders want to add frame and size to there commercial heard. The more pounds they can put on there calves = more$ in there pocket with still retaining the black hide. Talked to one breeder in Canada who uses these black bulls and he said he would not go back to the angus sires because he gets more weaning weight on his calves out of the black charolais bulls and in his words "they still sell calves by the pound". He also followed some of his calves through the feedlots and said ALL of the angus /black char calves were sold to the packers and went AAA and choice angus beef because they fit the criteria and had black hides which I found quite interesting.
oxymoron? - how do you ever get a black 100% char calf?

Not an oxymoron. He didn't say full blood. He said pure bred. There is a difference. He also didn't use the term 100%. I could be wrong but I believe in most breds that are " bred up " they are considered purebred at 94% which I believe os the 4th cross back to the original blood
 

tom4018

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 2, 2004
Messages
3,857
Reaction score
3
Location
Kentucky
DOC HARRIS":3n3zjc69 said:
#1 - Yes

#2 - No. She has sloping rump which will NOT improve with age, fine boned, "breedy head", reasonably good top line for a calf, sickle hocked. Depending to great extent on her dam, she probably will not be too successful with "Feed Efficiency" testing results. How successful is her dam in the "Great Breeding Cow" classification department? Successful is as Successful DOES!

DOC HARRIS

Both calves are the second from each cow. I had the mother of the Charolais cow, she raised heavy weaning calves. I thought the Angus calf was really not that bad, she is fairly thick but I agree she is a little finer boned than I like. Her mother is a nice looking cow, although they all have their faults. I may feed a few heifers a little while and see what they look like as they grow a little more. We only feed them just a little grain and free choice hay so they are not going to set a growth record.
 

RD-Sam

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 28, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
0
I like the first one, don't care for the second one at all.
 

tom4018

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 2, 2004
Messages
3,857
Reaction score
3
Location
Kentucky
Here are the same 2 heifers from the rear view:

Charx--


Angus--
 

DOC HARRIS

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 26, 2005
Messages
3,256
Reaction score
0
Location
Ft. Collins, CO
KNERSIE-

The second heifer lack to balance and substance I want. I don't see the slight slope she has from hooks to pins as a problem, although her structure isn't perfect her sickle hockedness is still well within the accepted limits
Not the way that I see this second heifer! The slope is more than slight, the sickle hockedness is NOT within MY accepted limits. In analyzing potential replacements, I am not going to select an individual who has all the ear-marks of breaking down after two or three calves, and lacks beefiness to the point where I am going to have to select a bull to correct a flaw that should not have been there in the first place.

DOC HARRIS
 

Putangitangi

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 28, 2007
Messages
902
Reaction score
0
Location
Aotearoa - New Zealand
I grow a fair number of heifers like your Angus and by the time they're calving the second time they look just fine. Maybe my eye is crooked, but her legs don't look so bad to me.

Do your cows work in your environment? Do they get in calf easily, calve each year and raise acceptable amounts of beef? Is their disposition acceptable?

There are a lot of cattle posted on here and sometimes I think there's not much difference between some of those which are praised and those which are thoroughly shot down.

Disclaimer: a number of people told me my cattle were crap, so I'm full of sour grapes. ;-)
 
Top