Portable headgate??

Help Support CattleToday:

groveman14

Reaction score
I have two holding pens, and chutes that are 3-5 miles apart, but don't yet have a head gate. Am planning to get a new Priefert HG91(manual/auto). At 180 pounds it isn't something I can load up myself at my age. Does anyone with a Priefert use it as a portable and have some type wheel arrangement which could make it easier to load.and transfer? Appreciate your help, as usual.

We have one of those with the grate deal so that the cow is standing on it to help hold it in place. I also drive t-posts on either side and chain the headgate to it so the can;t slide it or carry it off.
Now to your question, I just sling it from a chain on the tractor loader and carry it like that. I tried tipping it and sliding it into the back of the truck but lifting the bottom is a backbreaker.

dun

I have welded 3 inch pieces of tube steel to the top of my chute and tube steel panels. I can lift them with the tractor bucket and drop them on a trailer. My 20 foot cut gate is welded to the side of my chute and once the chute is pinned, it is enough weight to suspend the gate.

All my panels are fabricated out of 3 inch tube steel with sheep panel welded to them. 2 inch tube steel eyes are welded to the ends to pin them together.

I can load all the coral up in about 20 minutes, chutes and all on a flat bed. If I am just traveling a few miles, I don't even have to secure it down. It takes about 30 minutes to set it up. If I haul it to the house 20 miles away, I have to chain it and bind it. It is about a 2 hour transition since I have loading/unloading capability at both places.

groveman14 as a stand alone headgate(no chute) it wasn't engineered to be portable(with wheels and hitch) as a single unit. You could add these and make it work with some trail and error thought. BUT you still have to dismount it and mount it when you get to the new location. So you will still be dealing with manhandling the thing. Unless you have tractors/loaders, forklift, or mechanical means to do this at each place.
I realize the cost is enough to make most choke. By the time you re-engineer it you might be money and labor ahead to go ahead and get a portable chute with the headgate mounted to it. Or buy two headgates.

The mentor is right as always, but if you handle many cattle, I would suggest a portable squeeze chute for your safety and theirs. Working by yourself they will prevent many mishaps.

take a look at http://www.for-most.com ....check the 450-w chute with a model 30 headgate....greatest thing i have ever used, and SAFE to as fault. I can have it up in the air and behind a tractor in less than 15 minutes, and back down and ready to go in 10 or less....that is if i can back it into position correctly :D ....the wheels lower and raise by crank and cable and are a cinch to work.