pork spare ribs. educate me

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 5, 2012
Messages
19,602
Reaction score
451
Location
Cleveland Tx
I've never been a fan of spare ribs, (too fatty) but they're cheap and wife likes them. Mostly to cook in the oven. (she prefers them slathered with honey type BBQ sauce) I usually use a brisket type rub on any meat I cook--applied 'generously' .
How to?? How long? What temperature? Marinate 1st?
 

M-5

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 14, 2015
Messages
7,338
Reaction score
3
Location
AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers
greybeard":b3d895zm said:
I've never been a fan of spare ribs, (too fatty) but they're cheap and wife likes them. Mostly to cook in the oven. (she prefers them slathered with honey type BBQ sauce)
How to?? How long? What temperature? Marinate 1st?
Google crock pot ribs . they are as many ways to do it. I prefer a dry rib and you can do that in a crock pot also
 

M.Magis

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 28, 2010
Messages
1,972
Reaction score
68
Location
Cambridge, Ohio
I don't have any particular recipes, but it's hard to go wrong braising at low temps (maybe 300) for a couple hours. Just need to have some sort of liquid in the bottom, and foil or lid on the pan. I like to cook them with the rub on, and the BBQ sauce can be added at the table by those that want it.
 

Hunter

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 22, 2016
Messages
282
Reaction score
0
Location
KC, MO
Do you have the ability to smoke them?
If so I smoke them at about 250 for 3 hours give or take or until the meat starts to pull away from the bone.
Score the backside of ribs prior or they will curl up while cooking.
I do not marinate or put bbq sauce on while smoking. Rub them up with whatever you like and if you want to use yellow mustard to hold the rub on you can as it has zero taste after cooking. Some will even add brown sugar which is not bad tasting.
Hickory or Apple wood is what I use the most but to each their own.
Good luck with however you cook them and hope your wife likes them.
 
OP
greybeard

greybeard

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 5, 2012
Messages
19,602
Reaction score
451
Location
Cleveland Tx
Yes, I have a smoker. I like that path & Thanks for the tip about scoring the underside.
From what I'm reading here...I'm probably not cooking them long enough to break the fat down. They're cooked, but not tender and falling off the bone and still too much concentrated fat, which is another one of the reasons I don't cook meat in a slow cooker anymore. I'm supposed to be watching my fat intake, especially meat soaked in fat or the fat cooked in to it. Heart disease..LDLs..diabetic....I'm just fallin apart like the ribs are supposed to do.
 

Hunter

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 22, 2016
Messages
282
Reaction score
0
Location
KC, MO
greybeard":bqdvgb0g said:
Yes, I have a smoker. I like that path & Thanks for the tip about scoring the underside.
From what I'm reading here...I'm probably not cooking them long enough to break the fat down. They're cooked, but not tender and falling off the bone and still too much concentrated fat, which is another one of the reasons I don't cook meat in a slow cooker anymore. I'm supposed to be watching my fat intake, especially meat soaked in fat or the fat cooked in to it. Heart disease..LDLs..diabetic....I'm just fallin apart like the ribs are supposed to do.


Personally I like baby back ribs a touch better but about .10-.20 cents more per pound. Scoring does work but if you can remove the membrane it is supposedly better. I have never been able to remove it so I just score them.

Some even wrap in tin foil after 2 to 2.5 hours and put back on the smoker. I don't but just another option.
 

Fire Sweep Ranch

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 12, 2012
Messages
2,707
Reaction score
3
Location
SW MO
I have a Masterbuilt smoker that I LOVE. I smoke meat weekly, so I am getting pretty good. Ribs are the kids favorites, so we do them a lot. The secrete is low and slow. Here is what I do:
Put your favorite rub or dry seasoning on your ribs. Remove the membrane from the inside of the ribs, they are more tender when you eat them if it is gone. Place ribs in smoker and cook for 3 hours. After 3 hours, remove the ribs and wrap in heavy-duty aluminum foil (Optional: You can baste with your favorite BBQ sauce at this time). Return to smoker and cook for an additional 1- 1 ½ hours, or until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees.
My smoker has a thermometer that is awesome, however I do not typically use it with the ribs, I just go by time.

Secret to remove the membrane; grab the corner with a dry paper towel, and pull slowly. It comes off every time, the paper towel allows you to grasp it.
 

Jogeephus

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 17, 2006
Messages
24,228
Reaction score
0
Location
South Georgia
Fire Sweep Ranch":22uq3z44 said:
Secret to remove the membrane; grab the corner with a dry paper towel, and pull slowly. It comes off every time, the paper towel allows you to grasp it.

That's how I do it. Makes a big difference in the end whether its left on or not I think.
 

1982vett

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 3, 2008
Messages
9,351
Reaction score
112
Location
Central Texas
Fire Sweep Ranch":268gjw0q said:
I have a Masterbuilt smoker that I LOVE. I smoke meat weekly, so I am getting pretty good. Ribs are the kids favorites, so we do them a lot. The secrete is low and slow. Here is what I do:
Put your favorite rub or dry seasoning on your ribs. Remove the membrane from the inside of the ribs, they are more tender when you eat them if it is gone. Place ribs in smoker and cook for 3 hours. After 3 hours, remove the ribs and wrap in heavy-duty aluminum foil (Optional: You can baste with your favorite BBQ sauce at this time). Return to smoker and cook for an additional 1- 1 ½ hours, or until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees.
My smoker has a thermometer that is awesome, however I do not typically use it with the ribs, I just go by time.

Secret to remove the membrane; grab the corner with a dry paper towel, and pull slowly. It comes off every time, the paper towel allows you to grasp it.

Pretty much my "recipe" also. I salt and pepper mine then rub them down with Tones Cajun Spice. It suits my taste and I don't have to go to the trouble to mix up a rub. 3-4 hours @ ~285-300 using oak for the "fire" and add pecan or mesquite when we put the meat on. Wrap it up tight in foil and put it back on for another 3-4 hours. Really depends on how consistent your heat is and your taste for falling off the bone or if you still like a little bite. After you wrap it up in foil you could finish in an oven but that makes it to easy as you don't have to watch the fire.... :lol: My family likes the ribs "dry" without the sauce but when you unwrap the foil they are far from "dry". Lots of tasty bullion so don't poke a hole in the foil when wrapping.

I'm most likely doing brisket or pork butt along side the ribs. The ribs get the cooler end of the pit.
 

quartermeter

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 1, 2014
Messages
125
Reaction score
0
For falling off the bone tender you have to do this after smoking for 3-4 hrs with indirect heat. Place several in a deep aluminum throwaway pan. Put a cup of apple juce in pan and Cover with aluminum foil so it is airtight.
Put the pan back on the fire with indirect heat at 200F for 1-2 hrs. They should simmer for at least an hour. This is how the pros make them tender. Butts also.
 

Jogeephus

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 17, 2006
Messages
24,228
Reaction score
0
Location
South Georgia
I thought it was good. Pull off the bone tender but I'm told that's not what the "experts" want anymore. They are now looking for a gentle tug to get it off the bone. I think they are wrong.
 

Latest posts

Top