cooking pork chops

Help Support CattleToday:

M-5":1wtolern said:
Since the steak thread keeps me hungry every day. My second favorite is a pork. I like pretty much Like any cut of chop but my favorite is a slice butt grilled to med rare.

I like tenderloin. Cooked and pulled. Made into a chili.

Pork is another favorite go to. One of my favorite winter meals is 3/4" chop, breaded and fried in oil with mashed taters and country gravy. I will eat that until I'm in terrible pain.

M-5":3qottcg9 said:
Since the steak thread keeps me hungry every day. My second favorite is a pork. I like pretty much Like any cut of chop but my favorite is a slice butt grilled to med rare.
I like pork too. Butt is hard to beat.

I always heard you were supposed fully cook pork.

HDRider":3vsb8k3y said:
M-5":3vsb8k3y said:

urban legend -- how did folks eat meat before fire .

HDRider":32nff6ll said:
M-5":32nff6ll said:

I cook mine well, but a hog raised on concrete in a closed herd is probably not that big of a deal to eat it a little undercooked.

M-5":2mo6oiua said:
HDRider":2mo6oiua said:
M-5":2mo6oiua said:

I have to have mine cooked well chicken and pork expecially steak I like well and charred but will eat it other ways pork and chicken has to be well.

M-5":p28b70bx said:
HDRider":p28b70bx said:
M-5":p28b70bx said:

So Trichinella Spiralis is only a risk with wild or free range pork but not confinement pigs?

I am not sure about that eating before fire thing.

Is eating raw bacon ok?

HDRider":3kp3cgda said:
M-5":3kp3cgda said:

That's not the case anymore. The reason was trichinosis but modern farming practices have pretty well eradicated it and the only cases in recent years has been from eating wild game - bear in particular. (I'm waiting for all the liberals who are pushing for free range pigs to learn a thing or two about trichinosis) Even the USDA has lowered their recommended cooking temperature to 145F but biologically trichinosis is killed at 137F but the USDA seems to think it is deader at 145F. Or is that more deader.

FWIW - with wild hogs I'll cook them well past these temps cause trichinosis scares me but I will eat farmed pork raw.

Margonme":3msmixzb said:
M-5":3msmixzb said:

That might be good, but it ain't chili. If it's not beef or venison it's just soup. I suppose you put beans in it too?

Bone on center cut about 3/4". Seasoned with Cavender's all purpose Greek w/extra granulated garlic, then seared on both sides to an internal temp of 140.

Pork cooked well done is garbage and hardly worth feeding to the dogs. A thin chop fried quickly is hard to beat. And frying a thin chop is quick and easy, when you see blood turn the chop over count to 30 slowly and pull the chop out of the grease. Pork and venison need to be cooked in the same manner.

Rafter S":wfncnn6r said:
Margonme":wfncnn6r said:
M-5":wfncnn6r said:

That might be good, but it ain't chili. If it's not beef or venison it's just soup. I suppose you put beans in it too?

Yes. I learned the recipe on Outdoors Montana. Out west, I could get Anasazi Beans. They are a variety of pinto.

slick4591":3t3vv9fv said:
Bone on center cut about 3/4". Seasoned with Cavender's all purpose Greek w/extra granulated garlic, then seared on both sides to an internal temp of 140.
That sounds really good Slick!

Margonme":2lxp5sen said:
Rafter S":2lxp5sen said:
Margonme":2lxp5sen said:

Yes. I learned the recipe on Outdoors Montana. Out west, I could get Anasazi Beans. They are a variety of pinto.

I don't care if they come from Mars. Beans don't belong in chili. The only vegetables that do are tomatos, onions, garlic, and peppers. :banana:

Rafter S":2t4ispzj said:
Margonme":2t4ispzj said:
Rafter S":2t4ispzj said:

I don't care if they come from Mars. Beans don't belong in chili. The only vegetables that do are tomatos, onions, garlic, and peppers. :banana:

I am obviously no chili expert. Does anyone put beans in chili?

Ron, I've never had chili without beans. Guess I'm no chili expert either.

I'm gonna go against the grain on the pork with Sky. I ain't eating it if it ain't done. But to each their own. And I love chicken, but I want it almost overcooked. Chicken is a nasty bird. Steak, I will eat as raw as it can be as long as it's warm.

M-5":1s6pjegf said:
HDRider":1s6pjegf said:
M-5":1s6pjegf said:

In the dark ,freezing their azz off..

Try spaghetti sauce with half ground beef half ground pork it rocks. Adds a richness from ground pork meat. I guess I also put a little red wine in my spaghetti sauce too and drink the rest! ;-)