Poor Milkin Mamas ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Have an old cow that is not milking well, and running age cow with two balloon tits that is also not milking well. Their calves are 3 weeks old and falling behind...

Any good option here other than splitting them? Any reason to delay the splitting?

Isolate them and pump the feed to them. Do some milking out and see what quarters are producing/working. I can't see a 3 week old calf being worth anything to sell it this time of year. And if your just talking about putting them on replacer, I don't see much benefit. This is why I say commercial guys won't put up with crap udders/teats - was talking to neighbor yesterday who said most would let calf fend for itself and if it dies, ship the cow. You might be best off finding a neighbor with a loving Jersey cow.

I agree to get the cow in the chute to see what's going on. It may be as simple as a mastitis treatment (I use Today or get something from the vet) and if you catch it early, usually clears up. At three weeks old I don't, however, agree with letting them fend for themselves.

Son of Butch":2hmr1ohz said:
Aaron":2hmr1ohz said:
I can't see a 3 week old calf being worth anything to sell it this time of year.
beef calf 1.90 - 2.30 lb at local sale barn last week, so about $190 and the buyers put them on milk replacer

What is it worth to wait and split them at about 8 weeks?

That age calf would bring around 600 dollars here, have seen up to 800 last yr. Heck they pay 400 for the good black dairy cross week olds.

Stocker Steve":1xa8ja75 said:
Son of Butch":1xa8ja75 said:
Aaron":1xa8ja75 said:
I can't see a 3 week old calf being worth anything to sell it this time of year.
beef calf 1.90 - 2.30 lb at local sale barn last week, so about $190 and the buyers put them on milk replacer

What is it worth to wait and split them at about 8 weeks?
More... and if you take them up to Canada apparently you can retire.

Still suckers in the East. Won't get anymore than a couple hundred for it here and it better be good. Dairy calves are $100 or less.

More concentrated feed would help the old cow, and I could also try creeping the calf if they were sorted off.
Have to check the other cow to see how functional she is.
These cows did OK last year, but obviously I kept them one year too long.
Thanks for the tips.

Latest posts