Poor Lazyboy

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
I was feeding my calves today, and noticed the last cold snap froze a half in of Lazyboy's ears off... I don't know why he's the only one that froze them either.. He did have long ears to begin with, so it's not a big loss to him, he'll still have plenty there.. I've just never seen it happen on a grown animal before (except our cat). It wasn't that terribly cold or windy here either, but it did snow, and I think that melted and froze on the tips of his ears.

I've had mature cows lose their ears, happens when you get the conditions you did - wet ears and then a hard freeze.

I guess he's the moron of the bunch to pull that off... Oh well, he'll be OK.. might look a little funny, I think only the bottom 2/3rd of the ear froze.. I'll try and get a picture at some point

Nesi, in my experience when a older animal loses some ear is that there is an underlying problem usually they have a fever or something. A calf older than a month or two should have good enough circulation to keep its ears and tail end supplied with blood. When I see that here I give them a shot of LA and they do pick up even if I didn't notice something wrong before.

He's doing just fine in all other aspects.. eats heartily (he *loves* eating), he's growing well too, no sniffles or anything... I will keep an eye on him though. Long term forecast is just below freezing for the next 2 weeks, no major thaw and no major freezing... Sounds good to me!

How've you been doing up there?

Latest posts