Poor lil' mini cow.........

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
I A.I.'d one of my mother's mini-cows this evening. She is a little short, sawed off cow that is wider than she is tall. She didn't take too kindly to my left arm. I am a pretty big feller (though not 6' 6" and 270 lbs or bulging muscle like some previous poster) and my forearm ain't no tooth pick. Poor girl's eyes got big when I eased up behind her :shock: She is probably still hating on me. I am trying to talk my wife (who is 5' and 100 lbs) to learn how to A.I. as she would fit these little minis perfectly. Fortunatley for the cow I got lucky and it was only a 20 second process.......breeding on a natural heat is SO much easier.

Gale Seddon":viof2gxc said:
Hi Hoss, a chondro-carrying Dexter? Who'd you AI her to? Fingers crossed for you that she takes!
Gale, this particular midget is actually a Belmont or what some call an Irish Jersey (Dexter x Lessor Jersey). I AI'd her to a miniature Jersey. The Dexter half of this cow is the short legged variety. Her sire was a Dexter bull my mother had named Tojo. He was about 38" tall and just a ball of muscle. I am not sure if she is a chondro carrier or not. Every calf she has had so far has been normal.

hoss you sound like a friend of mine.he is 5`10 an used to weigh 350lbs.his arms was as big as logs,an he used to AI his dairy herd.so i bet his cows hated his big arm in them.

My friends got a dexter bull calf to breed their two jersey cows... he's 10 months old and I doubt he's 500 lbs, but by golly does he have "short man syndrome", he thinks he's hot stuff, came up to me all pissy and huffing.. until I moved and he nearly crapped his pants. He needs to spend some time with the Saler bull we had who was 2400 lbs, that would put him in his place. I'm going to loan my friends the "yellow heeler", they just need to get the batteries for it.

Nesikep":ftkz9pzk said:
My friends got a dexter bull calf to breed their two jersey cows... he's 10 months old and I doubt he's 500 lbs, but by golly does he have "short man syndrome", he thinks he's hot stuff, came up to me all be nice and huffing.. until I moved and he nearly crapped his pants. He needs to spend some time with the Saler bull we had who was 2400 lbs, that would put him in his place. I'm going to loan my friends the "yellow heeler", they just need to get the batteries for it.

The Dexter bull that my mother had, Tojo, was the same way. He was about 800 lbs of pure muscle. He waould strut and get all puffed up like he was king of the hill. We put our herd bull, who was about 2,300 lbs, in with him after the cows were bred. The first thing that Tojo did was strut up to the herd bull and butt him right in the side. The herd bull just ignored him but three butts later and he rolled Tojo like a bowling ball through the woods, through a woven wire fence and into the next pasture. When Tojo regained his footing he ran back into the woods and hid. He hid behind a big tree and would poke his head around to look every few minutes. He stayed in the woods for several hours before coming back out and he stayed on the other side of the pasture away from the herd bull for about three days before he figured he was safe from more abuse.

Disappointed to read that anyone would put a bull in with another bull that outweighs it by a factor of three.

One either does not give a horse's patootie about the animals or likes paying vet bills.

Gale Seddon":11rhcmt0 said:
Disappointed to read that anyone would put a bull in with another bull that outweighs it by a factor of three.

One either does not give a horse's patootie about the animals or likes paying vet bills.
But they threw some boiled eggs to it I'm sure ;-)

Animals learn the law of the land real fast. Us humans we are a little slower, I guess it's because we can reason.

Gale Seddon":2a5kzsag said:

They learn the pecking order pretty quick. Rarely will a big one really hurt a smaller one from what I have seen..........where the real danger is is when you put two equally sized bulls together. Neither one wants to submit......that is when real injury occurs. I have put yearling bulls in with mature bulls many times, they shove, push and act mean but the smaller one knuckes under pretty quick. I have never had a bull hurt a smaller one or a boss cow hurt a new heifer either. I have one of my mom's minis in with my regular herd right now. She knows her place and they leave her alone. We have been putting minis in and out of the "full-sized" herd for 7 or 8 years now without an incident of injury. They are better at taking care of themselves than we think we are at taking care of them.

We had an incident with our 2 bulls last spring, they were getting along fine in their pen... until there was a cow in heat (which wasn't expected)... Young bull got a couple ribs cracked, we separated them out until it was breeding time and they were in a more open area. I only noticed the cracked ribs a couple months later when I was rubbing my hand down his side and felt the lumps. He's been fine since and we've also got better holding facilities for them now that are much larger. Animals need to know who's boss, whether it's between themselves or with you... I've learned that roosters just don't learn though. On the other hand, One cow of mine went lame over the last day, one of the real fighters of the herd, maybe she got what was coming to her, and was payback for the one she injured last spring... moved her to the corral and we'll see how she does.

Gale Seddon":1lu2nbq9 said:

Yea, nothing like that would ever happen in nature :roll:

Roll your eyes all you want! Since I'm the one who has to deal with the consequences of any stupid decisions on this farm, I take precautions not to put my animals in harm's way. I'm fully aware that bulls can establish a pecking order and survive. I'm also aware that they can seriously injure each other in the process.

Gale Seddon":m1c67ys4 said:
Roll your eyes all you want! Since I'm the one who has to deal with the consequences of any stupid decisions on this farm, I take precautions not to put my animals in harm's way. I'm fully aware that bulls can establish a pecking order and survive. I'm also aware that they can seriously injure each other in the process.

Yeah i am gonna agree with everyone else. i have seen alot of yearling and two year old bulls put in with mature ones and never seen a problem. Matter in fact i know alot of poeple who will put a yearling bull in the pasture with the mature ones for breeding season just to keep the older ones on thier toes and have never seen a problem with it. On a side note though i did hear of a guy that put a ramboulette (however thats spelt) ram in with a big old holstein bull one time on a little farm and said i think that bull should leave him alone cause he is small enough. they said wasnt to long later that they was in there trying to get the ram out of there cause he went to just bashing into the side of the bull wich was to big to keep up and got put down on his knees from the ram.