Mini Cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

neumans0707

Reaction score
Hoping someone has experience with this - we just rescued a cow from our breeder which was bred out of a full size cow and bull but is just TINY. I've attached a few pictures. He is 5 months old and probably 24 inches tall and weighs less than 50 lbs. He is super healthy, active and friendly. Has anyone had this before? How big may he get? Do we need to be concerned with other health problems?
IMG_20220404_092756.jpgIMG_20220404_092737.jpgIMG_20220404_092733.jpg

Well, you have a pet. 50 pounds at 5 months old is not normal. Things that are not normal usually have more challenges, including health issues. Most everyone here is in the business of producing calves that grow and enter the food chain. This one won't be that. Is he weaned from his mother? Not nursing anymore? I assume that is a steer in the pen with him. If he is not several weeks weaned from milk, he may try to nurse other cows or heifers if you have those. Watch out for that.

What are your plans for him?

Hoping someone has experience with this - we just rescued a cow from our breeder which was bred out of a full size cow and bull but is just TINY. I've attached a few pictures. He is 5 months old and probably 24 inches tall and weighs less than 50 lbs. He is super healthy, active and friendly. Has anyone had this before? How big may he get? Do we need to be concerned with other health problems?
View attachment 15236View attachment 15237View attachment 15238
He's cute, good bone structure :)

Well, you have a pet. 50 pounds at 5 months old is not normal. Things that are not normal usually have more challenges, including health issues. Most everyone here is in the business of producing calves that grow and enter the food chain. This one won't be that. Is he weaned from his mother? Not nursing anymore? I assume that is a steer in the pen with him. If he is not several weeks weaned from milk, he may try to nurse other cows or heifers if you have those. Watch out for that.

What are your plans for him?
He is weaned, not nursing. Our plan is exactly that - he will be just a pet. No plans other than that. We only do show steers and just bred our first heifer so we have only 4 cows at our place right now. So ultimately we raise cows to enter the food chain also. When we bring new steers home its great to have a little emotional support cow for them - so thats our plan for him.

He is weaned, not nursing. Our plan is exactly that - he will be just a pet. No plans other than that. We only do show steers and just bred our first heifer so we have only 4 cows at our place right now. So ultimately we raise cows to enter the food chain also. When we bring new steers home its great to have a little emotional support cow for them - so thats our plan for him.
He will be perfect :)

Thanks - we thought he would be perfect also. Since we raise market animals its kinda nice to rescue and just keep one.

Internet says miniature cattle are 42" tall. Vaccinate, deworm, etc like his full-sized mates. I hope it works out. Be careful he doesn't get trampled.

Internet says miniature cattle are 42" tall. Vaccinate, deworm, etc like his full-sized mates. I hope it works out. Be careful he doesn't get trampled.
Yeah thats what i'm wondering - he just appeared out of full size cow and bull so not sure he qualifies as a true 'mini'. We will be careful, thanks!

Is he a pure bred Scottish Highland? I have lots of experience with this... in fact it wasn't long ago I was on here asking the very same thing! I'd love to chat more with you!
Sheila

View attachment 15236View attachment 15237View attachment 15238
Lends an entirely new perspective to, "Throw another shrimp on the barbie... "

And is "our" breeder still using that bull? I'd be sending both sire and dam to slaughter.