Poor Hunting

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
My son and I hunt the week between Xmas and New Years every year. Last year we were in coveralls and running heaters. This year... it hit 90 deg today... we are sweating in the blinds. Not a decent buck in sight.

The only thing moving is the rattlesnakes. We saw a solid 5' yesterday and another one today.

Not what we were hoping for. We are putting the rifles away and going after doves tomorrow.20211228_162629.jpg

First season in my life that I haven't burned powder.
I have seen one shooter buck since gun season started.
Only know one person that killed a nice buck over here this year.
We haven't even had a frost this year.
I remember a super mild winter years back when the wind never stopped out of the west like this year.

It was 9 yesterday morning and the whole country is white. But I haven't seen a rattle snake in 3 months. That is one of the good things about winter here.

The quail guys are hating this. It's hot for them and the dogs and the snakes are out... none of which are good.

We were at this place in October scouting in jackets because a cool front had blown in. Here we are in late December back in tshirts. That's a nasty trick.

We didn't have much luck in the blinds this morning so we grabbed the shotguns and the 243 and went riding to shoot quail, doves, rattlesnakes, hogs, etc. It actually stayed overcast fairly late. We were hitting the corn button every so often at ROW intersections. As we looped around one area we noticed some bucks chasing does on one of the corned, intersections. We eased down a ROW and popped out in hopes to be in shooting range. Sure enough this mature 7 was in the mix. My son kneeled in the road, wrapped the sling around his arm just like they did in 4H, and took the shot. He hit him right in the kneck and dropped him at 150yds with the 243.

I think my buddy and I were more excited then he was.😄 I'm going to have a hard time getting them back in the blinds to hunt. 20211229_140643.jpg

Congrats to your grandson!! I shoot a 243 also. Love it.
Our weather is crazy also. It's DECEMBER almost JANUARY. And really no winter. Really anxious for the ground to freeze up - mud everywhere. Cold enough for cattle to want to cuddle up around the feeders which is making the slop worse. Need a good long hard freeze couple days, then a foot of snow.

OH LORD thanks ya'll I feel like rattlesnakes are crawling up my legs!!! I've saw 2 in my life... I saw them first from a good distance. I used to go stomping around the woods like a fool now I think twice. 😒 it's all fun and games like a young child before somebody takes away the fun. ☹😝 Pumpkin time again. Ya'll have a good night.

OH LORD thanks ya'll I feel like rattlesnakes are crawling up my legs!!! I've saw 2 in my life... I saw them first from a good distance. I used to go stomping around the woods like a fool now I think twice. 😒 it's all fun and games like a young child before somebody takes away the fun. ☹😝 Pumpkin time again. Ya'll have a good night.
What, is it midnight Sharon and your Chevy is turning back into a pumpkin.

Ken

HOLD UP WAIT A MINUTE... I used to think I wanted to go down to Galveston to the beach. Nope forget that.... never crossed my mind rattlesnakes. Wait do yall do that church snake dancing stuff?! 🤔
Google the videos of the rattlesnakes swimming in the bay or getting in people's bait buckets or trying to crawl up the motor to get in the boat. 😜

I guarantee you, that the $42 meal/person/day is substantially lowballing it.
(May be accurate, if you eat at fast food joints or buy picnic stuff at H-E-B)
Add fees just to get on the beach, chair/umbrella rental, BEER and mixed drinks, suntan lotion, floaties, etc etc and it adds up quick. The only thing that is free there is the ferry ride, but plan to sit in a long line to get aboard.

waittime.jpg

There IS a tourist season, but we aren't allowed to shoot 'em...

Latest posts