Polled Hereford Cattle Plan III – Expansion Phase

Help Support CattleToday:

HS wrote:
Maybe we can retire by buying culls of excellent bloodlines. I researched filial degeneration a tad, I what I have realized in thinking about this concept in the context of line breeding, ….. is if I use inexpensive initial seed stock, their progeny should revert to the mean and the odds of me breeding a standout are very low but the cull factor should also be low. On the other hand, if I use expensive initial seed stock, their progeny should also revert to the mean and the odds of me breeding a standout are higher as long as the majority of lower performing animals are culled.

MY Reply:
BINGO! Scatterbred animals are not very predictable producers of their own traits. If they appear to, most often you are not breeding and inheriting from the individual sire or dam as much as you are his entire ancestry within the first 7 generations or so. I might add that it need not be traits from direct lineal ancestry that will manifest either. I have observed plenty of inbred offspring that favor non-lineal ancestors such as a great uncle for example. The key is being familiar enough with a breeding program to identify the origins of traits from within the family. There is no subsitute for time in this regard.

HS Wrote:
The real question may be …can the marginal animal produce pre-potent progeny greater than the prior most superior animal in the entire herd (the best performing animal so far)? I would think it is possible, but the odds would be drastically reduced relative to focusing on the higher level animals.

MY wrote: Great question! In the beginning you can get away with a lot, as you are really focusing on the genetic purification of major underlying faults. You need all of the hidden genetic junk to surface, so breeding nearly everything is a good idea so as to give you some basis and understanding on what you are dealing with genetically. It's kind of like tearing down an engine, only way to know what is inside and what shape it is in is to tear it down! As time moves on in a linebreeding effort, one needs to become increasingly more selective. As you increase the coefficient of inbreeding percentage, the statistics become much greater that the traits you will inherit actually come from a parent rather than another ancestor. (e.g. 26% COI means that you have a 26% chance that the traits will come from a parent. It usually takes 3 or 4 generations of direct inbreedingto get to this level. If you linebreed more cautiously from a wider genetic base it will take much longer.) Thus, it behooves us to increase our COI% so that we have the true predictability we seek in our sires and dams. Most people make a breeding decision based on something like the following. "She is a little flat in the rear end and he has a lot of butt on him, so he will clean up what she lacks". While that is a dandy little theory, it is lauaghable from a statistical perspective. Most of the bulls and cows out there have less than a 1% chance of contributing their own traits directly to their offspring. Now, some defy the odds, and this IS called prepotency. That is the perfect type animal to begin a linebreeding program upon, the picture of perfection with the ability to gentically stamp the progeny. Back to your hypothetical question..... as time moves on, we must become increasingly stringent with selection so that we build upon true excellence in our generations. As we progress in increasing COI% we begin to see the sires and dams play a greater direct role in contributing to the actual traits of calves.

HS wrote:
I was under the impression I was already using a tightly inbred lines…but after considering your wording closely, I want to get tighter than my original thinking. If I focus on Felton's 517 or maybe MSU Prospector 508 instead of 3008, I could reduce the variability somewhat in which you refer in exchange for the competition being fiercer. I will also focus on finding a higher inbreeding coefficient as I do want to my an ground shaking impact.

MY reply:
It would behoove you to start with as deep of linebred genetics as you could, as much of the legwork is already done for you. I would recommend looking to the Lents Anxiety 4th Herefords. They trace back to the original importations of Simpson and Gudgell without any outcrossing. Coincidentally I just got an e-mail from Jim yesterday regarding his long awaited new edition of his book The Basis of Linebreeding.

I would highly recommend that you read this book. I have been waiting for my copy for a long time now, as have others.

For domestic shipment the cost per book is $30, and for shipment outside the United States the cost is $40US. Both figures include shipping and handling.

Address all orders to:

Jim Lents
25398 SW Coombs Road
Indiahoma, OK 73552

With your order please include the name and postal address where the book(s) are to be delivered along with your payment. Personal checks and/or money orders are fine for domestic orders; however, books shipped to addresses outside the United States require an International Money Order denominated in US dollars and payable in the United States for payment. These can be purchased at most commercial banks in your country. If you have a special request such as an inscription or an autograph include them with your order.

I think after talking with Jim, reading his book and newsletter, and seeing his cattle (UNREAL thick Hereford Cattle!) which finish naturally on grass, you will be sold on his approach. They have a COI of about 94%, determined through actual DNA tests, not just statistical probabilities. Another way to put it is that there is only about 6% variation in his entire herd genetically, or they are 9$% clones of one another. I'll never go purebred unless I can deal exclusively with Jim's cattle. One day Imight be sitting well enough off to buy a bull and some cows and have them shipped. I am absolutely sold on his program because his philosophies already mirrored what I know from my own experience breeding dogs. (Incidentally, dogs are much tougher to breed for than cattle due to the higher number of chromosomes and multi-faceted performance traits. Eating grass and making gains just aint that tough in the grand scheme of things!)

HS wrote:
I hope you stick around awhile and continue to contribute as I value your experience very much.

MY Reply:
Thank you for the kind words. I'l likely be around as I have been, although I lurk more than I post. I just can't get excited about most breeding topics. Your post was just interesting enough for me to come out of my cocoon. 8) I'm going to check out your site.

"She is a little flat in the rear end and he has a lot of butt on him, so he will clean up what she lacks". While that is a dandy little theory, it is laughable from a statistical perspective. Most of the bulls and cows out there have less than a 1% chance of contributing their own traits directly to their offspring.

MY could you explain this statement a little more? I don't understand how a bull or cow can have less than a 1% chance of passing on any trait. For instance the polled trait is passed on 50% of the time from a heterozygous polled bull bred to a horned cow. Is your statement based on the fact that most traits are controlled by several genes? Thanks for any explanation.

Really liked this quote from Dr. Witherspoon on his site. He described some of what I was trying to state above with much more eloquence.

"The point I am trying to make here is that if we become too absolute and too rigid about even important traits, we are going to inevitably sacrifice progress toward universal excellence. Therefore, it is important to eliminate insignificant breeding priorities and to not take significant ones to any greater extreme than is functionally necessary."

In the inbred effort, we're not so much focusing on producing a superstar, as we are towards producing an entire team of solid individuals that collectively outperform the average run of the mill herd, or mean averages of the breed.

Gberry,

The traits of a heterzygous polled bull being passed is not only attributed to the bull himself, but from his ancestry also. Some traits like horns or polled, white faces, and others are well defined with "rules" that apply, because they have become "absolutely fixed" (homozygous) or partially fixed with some regularity that occurs frequently in the ancestry(heterozygous). I was referring more to specific traits unique to the individual, and not a large number of ancestors or the breed en masse as well. I'm no scientist but a practitioner. However, this brief quote derived from a scientist might better answer your question.

Is there a way of measuring inbreeding? Wright developed what is called the inbreeding coefficient. This is related to the probability that both copies of any given gene are derived from the same ancestor. A cold outcross (in dogs, probably a first-generation cross between two purebreds of different, unrelated breeds would be the best approximation) would have an inbreeding coefficient of 0. Note that this dog would not be heterozygous at every locus. There are genes shared with every multicellular organism, genes shared with all animals, genes shared with all animals with backbones, genes shared with all four-limbed animals (including most fish and all amphibians, reptiles, birds and mammals) and with all mammals. Although the DNA might differ slightly, the proteins produced would be functionally the same. Further, the chances are that our dogs with inbreeding coefficient = 0 would still be homozygous for some genes shared by all dogs. The inbreeding coefficient thus specifically refers to those genes that are variable (more than one possible form) in the species and even the breed being considered.

This is best observed outwardly through color markings, but the same statistical chances apply to other traits such as carcass qualities. The scatterbred individuals won't reproduce their own unique traits very often unless much of their ancestry has many of the same traits. Hope that helps explain some of what I was trying to convey.

The prolapse came out on the dams side but just last year we had a couple prolapse and we traced it back to the sire.

How are you identifying the bad genetics?

No we did not make money on the 400# calves. We were getting $.60 a lb for them. Last year we got $1.24 a lb for our steers.

If I am not mistaken, feeder prices are on the verge of escalating.

Largants are about 500-700 miles away.
Cooper is about 250 miles, same with Feddes. Holden is about 80-100 miles away.
We are probably about 175 miles from Canada.

You are in the midst of heavy competition. How do you differentiate your product? Do you form alliances with the big boys? How far are you from Olds Alberta Canada?

I really like Remital. I liked his color, length, thickness and his EPD's. The second bull was just a little too compacted, other then that he was a really good looking bull. Reading the cows EPD's gave me a picture of a nice cow that could raise a very gooid size calf. I liked all three. What can I say.

View this bull at the lower half of the page and please let me know your opinion. By the way, look at the semen price.

http://www.buyagro.com/cats/2005/rem05/15.htm

Also, what do you think of this bull?

http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-bin/i ... 6&9=5C5A5F

The 20 is just a rule of thumb anymore. When you are breeding a bull to a cow and that cow raises a so-so calf you want to improve the milk and growth. We have had some cows raise theses so-so calves and by looking for that number 20 I know we are going to increase the milk ratio in our replacement heifers.

OK, I see. You are relatively and logically solving an issue.

The bad with a inbred program is that one bad breeding choice will leave you bankrupt in about 3 years.

I am an "on the edge player". The way I look at it is this....I am no spring chicken, err...uhh...I am a rooster (foghorn leghorn)! More than half of my life is over. It is time to take action. When I was your age I knew I had many years to think about things. I no longer have that luxury. I have about 15 years of programming computers left and that is it. I don't have time to play games anymore. I cannot afford to put my cash in US Treasuries drawing five points per year for 15 years or more. With the rule of 72 it takes about twelve years to double an investment @ six percent. I can't live on that when I am 60 to 80 years old!

Since you mentioned bankruptcy....I think you really meant to write "losing money", because in order to go bankrupt, you usually have to not be able to make payments. Since you don't know how much cash I have saved and how much debt I have, I will go with the thought of "losing money" instead of "bankruptcy".

First of all, I came from a middle class large family. There were 11 of us and we grew up during the Vietnam war. I remember eating at our large dinner table hoping to get more than one piece of fried chicken to mix with a whole bunch of potatoes. We were taught the value of money and how to make money last.

Secondly, I have no personal overhead. I have one credit card I pay off every month. I have no vehicle payment. I have no house payment. I have no child support payment as my twins are adults. I save 20% of every paycheck. I receive 100% refund of all income taxes I pay. I do without! I sacrifice!

I do owe on the land and cattle at very very low historic interest rates. My salary covers these items which appreciate in value. As rumor has it, the same amount of land next to me almost was sold for $2,000,000. I have been around computer for 25 years with the first PCs came out. I know how to write good quality code fast. I work with the 3??th largest company in the USA in the research and development department over an engineering software product used by our techical offices in China, India, Mexico, and spread across the USA from a little watermelon podunk cow chicken town.

So how can you even mention the word bankrupt without knowing enough information is beyond me. Losing money is a normal process for any startup business. The grass the cows eat grows on the land. The corn and the purple hull peas grows on the land. I bale the hay. I harvest the corn. I pay for medicine and health supplies. I run the cows through the chute. I do all the work unless it is impossible and I have to hire someone. I run a feed store bill which is paid in full every month. I run fences, paddocks, pod work, mowing and beutifying, ....

The trick is low overhead.

I am sharing this with you because you are ignoring my prior friendly questions. I am showing you what kind of person I am.

Scatterbred animals are not very predictable producers of their own traits. If they appear to, most often you are not breeding and inheriting from the individual sire or dam as much as you are his entire ancestry within the first 7 generations or so. I might add that it need not be traits from direct lineal ancestry that will manifest either. I have observed plenty of inbred offspring that favor non-lineal ancestors such as a great uncle for example. The key is being familiar enough with a breeding program to identify the origins of traits from within the family. There is no subsitute for time in this regard.

When you write seven generations or so, that would be two to the power of seven or 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64 animals, correct? That is a lot of animals to know trait origination if no two animals is the same or some are the same. That would be like looking at a chess board since there are 64 squares on the board, but there may be a gazillion differences in scatter bred cattle. If I take DNA samples from each animal, transfer the DNA data into digital form when born, and accumulate these samples from each of the 64 animals, I think it is possible to write a small program to locate trait origination in a matter of seconds. If this is not possible in today's era, I believe it will be soon. Therefore, as times are changing very fast it may be possible to substitute time in this regard either now or in the near future.

http://www.genome.gov/12512874

In the beginning you can get away with a lot, as you are really focusing on the genetic purification of major underlying faults. You need all of the hidden genetic junk to surface, so breeding nearly everything is a good idea so as to give you some basis and understanding on what you are dealing with genetically. It's kind of like tearing down an engine, only way to know what is inside and what shape it is in is to tear it down! As time moves on in a linebreeding effort, one needs to become increasingly more selective. As you increase the coefficient of inbreeding percentage, the statistics become much greater that the traits you will inherit actually come from a parent rather than another ancestor. (e.g. 26% COI means that you have a 26% chance that the traits will come from a parent. It usually takes 3 or 4 generations of direct inbreedingto get to this level. If you linebreed more cautiously from a wider genetic base it will take much longer.) Thus, it behooves us to increase our COI% so that we have the true predictability we seek in our sires and dams. Most people make a breeding decision based on something like the following. "She is a little flat in the rear end and he has a lot of butt on him, so he will clean up what she lacks". While that is a dandy little theory, it is lauaghable from a statistical perspective. Most of the bulls and cows out there have less than a 1% chance of contributing their own traits directly to their offspring. Now, some defy the odds, and this IS called prepotency. That is the perfect type animal to begin a linebreeding program upon, the picture of perfection with the ability to gentically stamp the progeny. Back to your hypothetical question..... as time moves on, we must become increasingly stringent with selection so that we build upon true excellence in our generations. As we progress in increasing COI% we begin to see the sires and dams play a greater direct role in contributing to the actual traits of calves.

If we can identify a pre-potent animal for example, we can defy the odds. Do you have a few pointers to identify an animal like this which may not be so obvious? In order to derive the inbreeding coefficients in which I will choose to begin with, I may need to get access to the AHA database so I can run all animals in question through my algorithms. Otherwise, I will have to do it by hand which could take quite a while. The formula(s) for calculating the coefficient appear to be straight forward. If I could do this programmatically, I could save years like you previously mentioned. I will contact the AHA to see what kind of deal I can make to access their database.

It would behoove you to start with as deep of linebred genetics as you could, as much of the legwork is already done for you. I would recommend looking to the Lents Anxiety 4th Herefords. They trace back to the original importations of Simpson and Gudgell without any outcrossing. Coincidentally I just got an e-mail from Jim yesterday regarding his long awaited new edition of his book The Basis of Linebreeding.

Thank you. I placed a check to Jim in the mail. How do I get the newsletter? Does he have a web site?

I think after talking with Jim, reading his book and newsletter, and seeing his cattle (UNREAL thick Hereford Cattle!) which finish naturally on grass, you will be sold on his approach. They have a COI of about 94%, determined through actual DNA tests, not just statistical probabilities. Another way to put it is that there is only about 6% variation in his entire herd genetically, or they are 9$% clones of one another. I'll never go purebred unless I can deal exclusively with Jim's cattle. One day Imight be sitting well enough off to buy a bull and some cows and have them shipped. I am absolutely sold on his program because his philosophies already mirrored what I know from my own experience breeding dogs. (Incidentally, dogs are much tougher to breed for than cattle due to the higher number of chromosomes and multi-faceted performance traits. Eating grass and making gains just aint that tough in the grand scheme of things!)

What frame size are his cattle? How much do they weight? Does the 94% increase each year? I bred a couple of miniature schnauzers not too long ago. One parent was a brother and one was a sister. Now I have three little ones sucking hind teat with the grand sire and grand dam the same on each side. The pups appear very healthy.

Because if you get up to 300 registered cows and 100's of recieps, or whatever it was you wanted. You are right I don't know the situation. But I know that it can happen to anyone that gets in over their head.

oakcreekfarms":3tuvvxc4 said:
Because if you get up to 300 registered cows and 100's of recieps, or whatever it was you wanted. You are right I don't know the situation. But I know that it can happen to anyone that gets in over their head.

Your right, you have to be careful how fast you expand a registered herd. I have been to several dispersals where the guy has 200-400 reg head and even though I read every page of 'Cattle Today' and our state Cattlemen's mag. (for years) I was completely unaware he even existed until the going out of business sale. It is easier to expand the cow herd than expand the repeat cattle buyers.

Really liked this quote from Dr. Witherspoon on his site. He described some of what I was trying to state above with much more eloquence.

"The point I am trying to make here is that if we become too absolute and too rigid about even important traits, we are going to inevitably sacrifice progress toward universal excellence. Therefore, it is important to eliminate insignificant breeding priorities and to not take significant ones to any greater extreme than is functionally necessary."

In the inbred effort, we're not so much focusing on producing a superstar, as we are towards producing an entire team of solid individuals that collectively outperform the average run of the mill herd, or mean averages of the breed.

The old saying "strongest as the weakest link" comes to mind. There are many times when I am in the pastures inspecting the weakest animal. I have watched and watched this one heifer when I noticed she was a dink. She never had the size and weight of the others. However, in the last couple of months she blossomed. She now has the best looking coat of hair on the entire farm. She is close to being the most structurally correct female I have. Needless to say, she is not the weakest link anymore.

On the first page of this thread I wrote the following to Brandon for clarity:

Actually, the 350 represents females. The females would consist of one of more of the following: heifers, donors, replacements, cows, recipients, registered, and non-registered. The 350 females are only the first five years. I am projecting "air castle" females in the thousands along with a projected 5000 acres I intend to accumulate. I have an idea in my head about exporting to China. Do you know Mandarin?

It appears you are referring to irresponsibility or maybe immaturity, or maybe something you had a close experience with. Anyone can get over their head especially if they drink, use drugs, or swim. How many people do you know doing something I am about to do or have recently done to the magnitude in which I have done?

350 * $100 profit = $35K. Can you live on $35K per year?

HS wrote:
That is a lot of animals to know trait origination if no two animals is the same or some are the same. That would be like looking at a chess board since there are 64 squares on the board, but there may be a gazillion differences in scatter bred cattle. If I take DNA samples from each animal, transfer the DNA data into digital form when born, and accumulate these samples from each of the 64 animals, I think it is possible to write a small program to locate trait origination in a matter of seconds. If this is not possible in today's era, I believe it will be soon.

MY Reply:
Yes it is a lot of animals, and there are gazillions of differences, thus the great challenge of being a successful breeder! Plenty of people turn a bull out, or mate animals of various kinds, but few understand the "art of breeding". I don't profess to understand everything myself; in fact I don't believe anyone but God understands fully, but I am a serious student of the art of breeding. I do agree that DNA anaylsis coupled with computer science may take much of the guesswork out out of things.

HS wrote:
If we can identify a pre-potent animal for example, we can defy the odds. Do you have a few pointers to identify an animal like this which may not be so obvious? In order to derive the inbreeding coefficients in which I will choose to begin with, I may need to get access to the AHA database so I can run all animals in question through my algorithms. Otherwise, I will have to do it by hand which could take quite a while. The formula(s) for calculating the coefficient appear to be straight forward. If I could do this programmatically, I could save years like you previously mentioned. I will contact the AHA to see what kind of deal I can make to access their database.

MY reply:
My best tool for identifying prepotent producers has been hindsight! :D Some animals can throw some great ones mixed with some poor ones, some can produce a high percentage of really nice ones, but no really great ones, nor poor ones. Who is the better producer? Selection is key! I want consistency, not spotty producers. The one who throws me very few bad ones with plenty great ones behind him will give me the foundation to improve with. The great ones will resurface. I am worried about eliminating substandard producing individuals to the extent possible. By doing so are we not improving our program? As a young breeder, I used to cull 70-80% of offspring. Today I cull about 20-30%. Is that not progress? Admittedly, I haven't had a performance Champion in 13 years though, although I have 2 that are going to make it this fall. You see, had I become discouraged in the program and started outcrossing to get Champions, I would have had some great performers earlier, but I would still be culling 70-80%! Now I have a clean genetic base that produces a high percentage of keepers, and is once again starting to duplicate the Superstars I began with some 4, 5, to 6 genertions later. As far as a database, I hand entered all of my dog pedigrees of 2 working breeds into a database that will figure inbreeding coeffcients to the 10th generation. There are programs that go to the 30th generation to caluclate this. If you could get a preloaded database going back to foundation animals from AHA you will save a lot of tedious work. Even if you have to hand enter them though, the result is worth it as you are much better equipped to plan for the future. Not all breeding decisions can be made around COI%, or any single aspect of the goals of the breeder. That is why I like Dr. Witherspoon's quote regarding "universal excellence". In the linebred program we are gently nudging the program forward in all areas, making some compromises as we go for the greater good of the program. This is in contrast to a best to best effort where one is trying to produce a few high profile superstars. I want a whole family of better than average animals, and can live without a superstar. However, the linebred family will still give you the occasional superstar as I illustrated above, and those are important flagship animals to breed upon. The principles of breeding quality never change. The inbreeding effort most closely resembles nature. Our job as breeders is play the cruel role of nature in deciding who gets bred and who does not. Look at wild mustangs as a classic example of how nature and inbreeding work to produce a very sound animal. The finest bred 6 figure horses do not compare to the soundness of mustangs in many regards.

HS wrote:
I placed a check to Jim in the mail. How do I get the newsletter? Does he have a web site? What frame size are his cattle? How much do they weight? Does the 94% increase each year?

Just e-mail him [email protected] tell him you have ordered the book and ask if he will put you on the mailing list for his newsletter "The Lamplighter". If you lay out some of your breeding goals and tell him you are in the market for Herefords, he might just send you a CD with some photos of his cattle too! He does not have a website. His phone number is out there in cyberspace. Jim's cattle are very moderate in frame size, 4's and 5's. They are very heavy for their size though, unlike most cattle you see today. As far as increasing inbreeding percentage, you will find as you begin to inbreed that the ascent from 0 to about 40% COI is rather easy to attain. The jump from 40-60% takes about 3 times the effort as the first 40%. It took the Anxiety 4th Herd 126 years to get to the 94% level. I seriously doubt that they will increase that inbreeding percentage much in the short term as a herd.

Lots of posts and pages by one or two people who's writings are a lot alike in context and spelling.
Lots of postulating, cutting and pasting really makes me wonder how many people are one and the same?
I will admit that some of it makes sense but if it were me i would be on the phone instead of spending all this time typing :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

MY...

While I am preparing a reply...

I am accumulating passion for this subject. Could you please write a little article about the Art of Breeding for a newbie yet get complex? When there are many pre-potent animals, and the weakest link of these pre-potent animals keeps improving over time, do you think this affects the intelligence level of each animal just the same as visible physical traits or performance traits, etc.? Also, have you ever experienced an obvious mutation that excelled in performance?

MY":rd6gs9m0 said:
Look at wild mustangs as a classic example of how nature and inbreeding work to produce a very sound animal. The finest bred 6 figure horses do not compare to the soundness of mustangs in many regards.

You and I have obviously been attending different Adopt a Horse events. The ones I saw weren't as sound as the typical $800 grade ranch horse. There are some diamonds in the rough in the bunch; but not many.

Your right, you have to be careful how fast you expand a registered herd. I have been to several dispersals where the guy has 200-400 reg head and even though I read every page of 'Cattle Today' and our state Cattlemen's mag. (for years) I was completely unaware he even existed until the going out of business sale. It is easier to expand the cow herd than expand the repeat cattle buyers.

Was the seller's name HerefordSire? :cboy:

Now you are referring to marketing. I have not published my marketing plans yet as the special marketing plans will not take effect until five years is over. However, if I am retaining 350 females as a goal over five years, that means I am liquidating little non-special boys. The quantity may be around

350 = females after five years
100 = initial femal count
----
250 female increase or 250 bullocks I would have to market

Some of these special bullocks would be retained and the majority would be BWF. Generally, I would need to liquidate 200 males up to year five. Therefore, I will have a little local exposure but not national exposure. My official marketing plan will blow your mind, and you will know when I put it in action, believe me.

Yes it is a lot of animals, and there are gazillions of differences, thus the great challenge of being a successful breeder! Plenty of people turn a bull out, or mate animals of various kinds, but few understand the "art of breeding". I don't profess to understand everything myself; in fact I don't believe anyone but God understands fully, but I am a serious student of the art of breeding. I do agree that DNA anaylsis coupled with computer science may take much of the guesswork out out of things.

Have you studied the old testament bible where the author writes (implies) about the Jewish people inbreeding for 400+ years increasing their population to over 600,000 people from very few originally? If so, what do you think the consequences would be for the weakest link over this 400+ year time period for this specific race of people?

My best tool for identifying prepotent producers has been hindsight! :D Some animals can throw some great ones mixed with some poor ones, some can produce a high percentage of really nice ones, but no really great ones, nor poor ones. Who is the better producer? Selection is key! I want consistency, not spotty producers. The one who throws me very few bad ones with plenty great ones behind him will give me the foundation to improve with. The great ones will resurface. I am worried about eliminating substandard producing individuals to the extent possible. By doing so are we not improving our program? As a young breeder, I used to cull 70-80% of offspring. Today I cull about 20-30%. Is that not progress? Admittedly, I haven't had a performance Champion in 13 years though, although I have 2 that are going to make it this fall. You see, had I become discouraged in the program and started outcrossing to get Champions, I would have had some great performers earlier, but I would still be culling 70-80%! Now I have a clean genetic base that produces a high percentage of keepers, and is once again starting to duplicate the Superstars I began with some 4, 5, to 6 genertions later. As far as a database, I hand entered all of my dog pedigrees of 2 working breeds into a database that will figure inbreeding coeffcients to the 10th generation. There are programs that go to the 30th generation to caluclate this. If you could get a preloaded database going back to foundation animals from AHA you will save a lot of tedious work. Even if you have to hand enter them though, the result is worth it as you are much better equipped to plan for the future. Not all breeding decisions can be made around COI%, or any single aspect of the goals of the breeder. That is why I like Dr. Witherspoon's quote regarding "universal excellence". In the linebred program we are gently nudging the program forward in all areas, making some compromises as we go for the greater good of the program. This is in contrast to a best to best effort where one is trying to produce a few high profile superstars. I want a whole family of better than average animals, and can live without a superstar. However, the linebred family will still give you the occasional superstar as I illustrated above, and those are important flagship animals to breed upon. The principles of breeding quality never change. The inbreeding effort most closely resembles nature. Our job as breeders is play the cruel role of nature in deciding who gets bred and who does not. Look at wild mustangs as a classic example of how nature and inbreeding work to produce a very sound animal. The finest bred 6 figure horses do not compare to the soundness of mustangs in many regards.

Hind sight is much better than hind teat. :cboy: Nature does seem to have a way of purifying genetics. My thoughts sure have changed after reading your posts. I think I would rather pay the price first, rather than pay the price later...specifically, I would rather intentionally defer breeding a superstar until later than initially thought because the numbers of quality progeny will be projected to be higher overall, in quantity and quality in the long term relative to the short term. After reading all your text over and over, I am thinking to focus on the weaknesses only by throwing the numbers against the wall for quite some time, being very patient with the under-performers compared to normal culling practices, and then get rid of the obvious weaknesses. I think I could also speed this process up by turning the generations over faster than normal. For example, if it takes nine months to produce a calf, try to turn her over in 10 months or so instead of the 12 months which is what the dam of distinction is based upon. In that way I could save a year every 4 years. So if it took me say normally eight years to get rid of all the obvious trash, maybe I could do the same in 6 years.

Jim's cattle are very moderate in frame size, 4's and 5's. They are very heavy for their size though, unlike most cattle you see today. As far as increasing inbreeding percentage, you will find as you begin to inbreed that the ascent from 0 to about 40% COI is rather easy to attain. The jump from 40-60% takes about 3 times the effort as the first 40%. It took the Anxiety 4th Herd 126 years to get to the 94% level. I seriously doubt that they will increase that inbreeding percentage much in the short term as a herd.

What do you think of me purchasing semen from his herd in an attempt to save years of breeding time and crossing with some of my other genetic ideas?

:stop: :cboy: Apparently Hereford Sire, there is a contingent here who's dander is raised due to our exchange. :cry: Invariably in my message board experiences, it seems whenever some few individuals put cohesive thoughts together that continue past a few lines of simpleton drivel, someone is not happy. :roll: Thus my choice to lurk most of the time here rather than post.

Therefore why don't you drop me an e-mail and I shall reply to you there. I enjoy sharing ideas, but in regard to a response here, another Biblical verse comes to mind regarding "pearls and swine". ;-)

HerefordSire":20bmx4bh said:

Was the seller's name HerefordSire? :cboy:

Now you are referring to marketing. I have not published my marketing plans yet as the special marketing plans will not take effect until five years is over. However, if I am retaining 350 females as a goal over five years, that means I am liquidating little non-special boys. The quantity may be around

350 = females after five years
100 = initial femal count
----
250 female increase or 250 bullocks I would have to market

Some of these special bullocks would be retained and the majority would be BWF. Generally, I would need to liquidate 200 males up to year five. Therefore, I will have a little local exposure but not national exposure. My official marketing plan will blow your mind, and you will know when I put it in action, believe me.

I was just bringing up the point that a marketing plan is essential if you are going above ~80 registered head. Sadly a lot of promising registered herds (heck and whole breeds for that matter) seem to fizzle out before they really establish themselves. IF you can sell bulls you can generally sell females. I am no marketing guru so am not qualified to comment on the specifics of your marketing plan. ALL I know is that you generally NEED a marketing plan.

HerefordSire":6xsntvei said:
Have you studied the old testament bible where the author writes (implies) about the Jewish people inbreeding for 400+ years increasing their population to over 600,000 people from very few originally? If so, what do you think the consequences would be for the weakest link over this 400+ year time period for this specific race of people?
[/i]

There ARE longterm effects to excessive inbreeding in humans.

http://talk.dnadirect.com/category/ashk ... -diseases/

I don't know if they had these problems in Moses's time or NOT.