• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Polled Hereford Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

jhambley

Reaction score
I visited a ranch this weekend that has linebred Trask & GDQ bloodlines for about 30 years. Here are two of the bulls for you to critique.

JH

Hodge Bull

Hodge Bull

Hodge Bull

Hodge Bull

Spot Bull

Spot Bull

alacattleman

Reaction score
he'd suit my rinking dink outfit, well muscled bull.. although i see somethings i aint crazy about. but im no judge and ill leave it to the pro's.

bigbull338

Reaction score
he is 1 heck of a big nice stout well muscled polled hereford bull.did you ask how much he weighed.im guessing he will go over a ton.

rocket2222

Reaction score
There's two different bulls there, 1st one I like pretty good, second one in pics 3 and 4 I wouldn't give two cents for, don't like his hip, the way he cuts up at his flanks or his head/eye set.

OP
jhambley

jhambley

Reaction score
Good catch...the one with the spot on his head is called Spot and the other is called Hodges. There are both in excess of a ton.

JH

capt

Reaction score
I am guessing hodges is also pictured in five and six. Like almost everything about hodges except his sheath. Would like to see his feet as well. Nice bull. Don't care for spot a bit.

OP
jhambley

jhambley

Reaction score
GDQ = George D. Queener. He's an older gentleman that used to work with Mr. Trask and owned a lot of Trask cattle. He is out of Herefords now but the best of his herd went to the ranch that I visited.

JH

alacattleman

Reaction score
jhambley":d25o3zwv said:
GDQ = George D. Queener. He's an older gentleman that used to work with Mr. Trask and owned a lot of Trask cattle. He is out of Herefords now but the best of his herd went to the ranch that I visited.

JH
george queener? he's a customer of ours from chickamauga georgia... raising angus now

alacattleman

Reaction score
jhambley":3gh5lkyo said:
That's the one. What's his Angus herd look like?

JH
actually i havent seen em, just talked too him here at the dealership.. when i first knew of him he was raising brafords . that been probably 15-20 years ago... nice man , was his braford herd from this line or do you know

DOC HARRIS

Reaction score
Perceptions:

These pictures present a fine example of the importance of knowing what you are seeing and looking at when judging cattle and selecting cattle for ANY purpose.

Pictures #1 and #2 are of the same bull. Pictures #3 and #4 are of a different bull from #1, but #3 and #4 are of the same bull. Picture #5 is different from BOTH the first two bulls, and #6 is facing in a different direction from bull #5, so it can't be determined if it is the same bull as #5.

All of these bulls are fine examples of excellent breeding practices over a period of time, and should be able to improve most average herds from the point of view of Phenotype factors for the producing of BEEF cattle herds. Each of these three bulls (or perhaps - four bulls) could show improvement in depth of flank, spring of rib ( heart girth depth is not bad), and, at least with #1, could stand straighter on his hind legs - he seems to be slightly cow hocked - from observing THESE pictures.

Taken all in all, In My Opinion, THESE three (or four) Hereford bulls are better, phenotypically (what they LOOK like) than most Hereford bulls being used as Commerecial herd sires today. Inasmuch as some of their legs ands feet are not apparent in these pictures, those characteristics are a guess at best. Naturally, their FUNCTIONAL traits should be examined, as well as SOME EPD's, depending on those specific traits that the breeder requires for the particular shortcomings of his herd.

That said - PICTURES are NEVER acceptable for a final selection decision for a Herd bull, which is at least 50% of next year's bottom-line PROFIT! Don't depend on "Guess-work" when buying Bulls!

DOC HARRIS

HerefordSire

Reaction score
DOC HARRIS":3nhp8vt8 said:
Perceptions:

These pictures present a fine example of the importance of knowing what you are seeing and looking at when judging cattle and selecting cattle for ANY purpose.

Pictures #1 and #2 are of the same bull. Pictures #3 and #4 are of a different bull from #1, but #3 and #4 are of the same bull. Picture #5 is different from BOTH the first two bulls, and #6 is facing in a different direction from bull #5, so it can't be determined if it is the same bull as #5.

All of these bulls are fine examples of excellent breeding practices over a period of time, and should be able to improve most average herds from the point of view of Phenotype factors for the producing of BEEF cattle herds. Each of these three bulls (or perhaps - four bulls) could show improvement in depth of flank, spring of rib ( heart girth depth is not bad), and, at least with #1, could stand straighter on his hind legs - he seems to be slightly cow hocked - from observing THESE pictures.

Taken all in all, In My Opinion, THESE three (or four) Hereford bulls are better, phenotypically (what they LOOK like) than most Hereford bulls being used as Commerecial herd sires today. Inasmuch as some of their legs ands feet are not apparent in these pictures, those characteristics are a guess at best. Naturally, their FUNCTIONAL traits should be examined, as well as SOME EPD's, depending on those specific traits that the breeder requires for the particular shortcomings of his herd.

That said - PICTURES are NEVER acceptable for a final selection decision for a Herd bull, which is at least 50% of next year's bottom-line PROFIT! Don't depend on "Guess-work" when buying Bulls!

DOC HARRIS

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I visited a farm this weekend that has linebred Trask & GDQ bloodlines for about 30 years. Here's one of the bulls for you to critique.

OP
jhambley

jhambley

Reaction score
when i first knew of him he was raising brafords . that been probably 15-20 years ago... nice man , was his braford herd from this line or do you know

I don't know anything about his work with Brafords. All I've heard about was his work with Trask and Victor genetics.

JH

OP
jhambley

jhambley

Reaction score
Only two bulls here. Photos 1,2,5,6 are of the Hodge bull. Photos 3 and 4 are the Spot bull.

JH

RD-Sam

Reaction score
I'm thinking you may be right George. I really like the first one, maybe could stand some better eye pigment though?

Herefords.US

Reaction score
RD-Sam":17a4o50o said:
I'm thinking you may be right George. I really like the first one, maybe could stand some better eye pigment though?

It sure is hard to find a PERFECT one, isn't it? I really like the first bull as well.

George

RD-Sam

Reaction score
Herefords.US":2za3t6fx said:
RD-Sam":2za3t6fx said:

It sure is hard to find a PERFECT one, isn't it? I really like the first bull as well.

George

I haven't found a perfect one yet, but I'll post it when I do! :cowboy:

DOC HARRIS

Reaction score
Herefords.US":1b2bpt99 said:
Hmmm.... I thought pictures #1,2,5 and 6 were the same bull when I looked at them.

George

George-

You may be right. I have looked VERY closely, comparatively, and I have said, "Yes - No - yes - no", and now I don't know. But, whatever!

Doc

Latest posts