Polled Hereford Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

jhambley

Reaction score
I visited a ranch this weekend that has linebred Trask & GDQ bloodlines for about 30 years. Here are two of the bulls for you to critique.

JH

Hodge Bull
hphbull1.jpg

Hodge Bull
hphbull2.jpg

Hodge Bull
hphbull5.jpg

Hodge Bull
hphbull6.jpg

Spot Bull
hphbull3.jpg

Spot Bull
hphbull4.jpg

he'd suit my rinking dink outfit, well muscled bull.. although i see somethings i aint crazy about. but im no judge and ill leave it to the pro's.

he is 1 heck of a big nice stout well muscled polled hereford bull.did you ask how much he weighed.im guessing he will go over a ton.

There's two different bulls there, 1st one I like pretty good, second one in pics 3 and 4 I wouldn't give two cents for, don't like his hip, the way he cuts up at his flanks or his head/eye set.

Good catch...the one with the spot on his head is called Spot and the other is called Hodges. There are both in excess of a ton.

JH

I am guessing hodges is also pictured in five and six. Like almost everything about hodges except his sheath. Would like to see his feet as well. Nice bull. Don't care for spot a bit.

GDQ = George D. Queener. He's an older gentleman that used to work with Mr. Trask and owned a lot of Trask cattle. He is out of Herefords now but the best of his herd went to the ranch that I visited.

JH

jhambley":d25o3zwv said:
GDQ = George D. Queener. He's an older gentleman that used to work with Mr. Trask and owned a lot of Trask cattle. He is out of Herefords now but the best of his herd went to the ranch that I visited.

JH
george queener? he's a customer of ours from chickamauga georgia... raising angus now

jhambley":3gh5lkyo said:
That's the one. What's his Angus herd look like?

JH
actually i havent seen em, just talked too him here at the dealership.. when i first knew of him he was raising brafords . that been probably 15-20 years ago... nice man , was his braford herd from this line or do you know

Perceptions:

These pictures present a fine example of the importance of knowing what you are seeing and looking at when judging cattle and selecting cattle for ANY purpose.

Pictures #1 and #2 are of the same bull. Pictures #3 and #4 are of a different bull from #1, but #3 and #4 are of the same bull. Picture #5 is different from BOTH the first two bulls, and #6 is facing in a different direction from bull #5, so it can't be determined if it is the same bull as #5.

All of these bulls are fine examples of excellent breeding practices over a period of time, and should be able to improve most average herds from the point of view of Phenotype factors for the producing of BEEF cattle herds. Each of these three bulls (or perhaps - four bulls) could show improvement in depth of flank, spring of rib ( heart girth depth is not bad), and, at least with #1, could stand straighter on his hind legs - he seems to be slightly cow hocked - from observing THESE pictures.

Taken all in all, In My Opinion, THESE three (or four) Hereford bulls are better, phenotypically (what they LOOK like) than most Hereford bulls being used as Commerecial herd sires today. Inasmuch as some of their legs ands feet are not apparent in these pictures, those characteristics are a guess at best. Naturally, their FUNCTIONAL traits should be examined, as well as SOME EPD's, depending on those specific traits that the breeder requires for the particular shortcomings of his herd.

That said - PICTURES are NEVER acceptable for a final selection decision for a Herd bull, which is at least 50% of next year's bottom-line PROFIT! Don't depend on "Guess-work" when buying Bulls!

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":3nhp8vt8 said:
Perceptions:

These pictures present a fine example of the importance of knowing what you are seeing and looking at when judging cattle and selecting cattle for ANY purpose.

Pictures #1 and #2 are of the same bull. Pictures #3 and #4 are of a different bull from #1, but #3 and #4 are of the same bull. Picture #5 is different from BOTH the first two bulls, and #6 is facing in a different direction from bull #5, so it can't be determined if it is the same bull as #5.

All of these bulls are fine examples of excellent breeding practices over a period of time, and should be able to improve most average herds from the point of view of Phenotype factors for the producing of BEEF cattle herds. Each of these three bulls (or perhaps - four bulls) could show improvement in depth of flank, spring of rib ( heart girth depth is not bad), and, at least with #1, could stand straighter on his hind legs - he seems to be slightly cow hocked - from observing THESE pictures.

Taken all in all, In My Opinion, THESE three (or four) Hereford bulls are better, phenotypically (what they LOOK like) than most Hereford bulls being used as Commerecial herd sires today. Inasmuch as some of their legs ands feet are not apparent in these pictures, those characteristics are a guess at best. Naturally, their FUNCTIONAL traits should be examined, as well as SOME EPD's, depending on those specific traits that the breeder requires for the particular shortcomings of his herd.

That said - PICTURES are NEVER acceptable for a final selection decision for a Herd bull, which is at least 50% of next year's bottom-line PROFIT! Don't depend on "Guess-work" when buying Bulls!

DOC HARRIS

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I visited a farm this weekend that has linebred Trask & GDQ bloodlines for about 30 years. Here's one of the bulls for you to critique.

when i first knew of him he was raising brafords . that been probably 15-20 years ago... nice man , was his braford herd from this line or do you know

I don't know anything about his work with Brafords. All I've heard about was his work with Trask and Victor genetics.

JH

I'm thinking you may be right George. I really like the first one, maybe could stand some better eye pigment though?

RD-Sam":17a4o50o said:
I'm thinking you may be right George. I really like the first one, maybe could stand some better eye pigment though?

It sure is hard to find a PERFECT one, isn't it? I really like the first bull as well.

George

Herefords.US":2za3t6fx said:
RD-Sam":2za3t6fx said:

It sure is hard to find a PERFECT one, isn't it? I really like the first bull as well.

George

I haven't found a perfect one yet, but I'll post it when I do! :cowboy:

Herefords.US":1b2bpt99 said:
Hmmm.... I thought pictures #1,2,5 and 6 were the same bull when I looked at them.

George

George-

You may be right. I have looked VERY closely, comparatively, and I have said, "Yes - No - yes - no", and now I don't know. But, whatever!

Doc

Latest posts