POLL: Why Do You Have Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Crowderfarms":rxuea9zi said:
Wondered Your Reasons For Having Cattle?
1. It's in my Blood
2. I have em' for a Land Tax Advantage
3. It's my Hobby
4. I make my Living by em'
5. I supplement my day Job With Cattle
6. Beats the heck outta me?

Used to be #5, but forced cutback in pasture and herd size made it more 6 and 1. Add in a good dose of not wanting corn all the way around the house in the summer, and I've got to have something to do with my land.

Why we have cows:
1. I enjoyed showing steers when I was in 4-H, so I bought heifers and stayed with it.
2. Don't have any other interests at this point.
3. Enjoy working with them.
4. Gives the development residents something to look at on the way past.
5. Its a hobby.
6. Meeting different people at the shows.

Have to go with it's in my blood. Was raised around them. Had some time without them. First chance I had to get some - I jumped. Can't imagine not having them. Would like to say I make a living on them some time though.

As Ollie said, "Would you ask a meth addict why he uses meth?" On Saturday I went to the sale with no intention of buying anything and came home with a bred cow and a pair. At that time I was talking to myself about cow addiction. If I start stealing to support the habit I will get myself into a twelve step program for rehabilitation. But I would probably just do like Dun and relapse.
Dave

It used to be 1 & 3 but lately it seems more like 6. Some days I love it & some days I am not sure why? It is a lot of work & my husband is so busy with his actual job & I hate to bother him when I need help. It is hard for one person to do everything by myself. Especially in the bitter cold , long winters we can have.

My uncle milks about 200 goats. Now my dad thinks that would be great fun and profitable. Hang out with 200 goats for awhile. Then go back to the cattle. That is why I have cattle.

TheBullLady":36ppuvgn said:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Excellent insight as usual Bez!

Hubby and I enjoy the heck out of the cows (MOST of the time). For me it's relaxing without having to be nice to people, which I have to do most of the time. :)

This afternoon we walked through the cows to check everyone on the way to the paddleboat for a quick tour of the stock tank and to wet a hook. What a life!! :lol:

The "Most of the Time" reminds me of something my dear ole Dad ( 50 +years in the cattle busness) used to say when things weren't going so well.

" Son, it ain't all scratching calves and cashing checks".

;-)

My husband & I were both born & raised in the city. Would NEVER go back. Cattle are my full time income (supplimented by husband's full time job).
WHY do we have cattle. Have to agree with most of the above posts - specially Bez. Can't think of anything more rewarding than to walk thru the pastures, and admire the cows and their new calves running & sneaking up to us for a close smell. What a great feeling.

some days 1, some days 6... talking to a guy at the sale barn a while back, concerning the high prices, and he made the comment, i oughta sell out while the prices are so good,... i kinda nodded and asked him... then what would we do?? :lol:

jt

I am so envious of you. Cattle was the one thing I was good at. I knew every cow and calf and who belonged to whom. I knew what to do, just didn't always know why. Now, I have forgotten a lot of what I knew and things have become so commercialized with epd's and everything that I'm not sure I can catch up. Not to mention the fact that I'm no longer a spring chicken. I'm happy for all of you, I am. There is no better life than ranching.

Crowderfarms":3f1vqamn said:
1. It's in my Blood
3. It's my Hobby

It's # 4 for me. Not much, but tryin'

It's in my blood-have always had them and can't imagine not having them. Even with all the unexpected things that can happen with raising cattle it's still a very fulfilling venture for me. I have to deal with people all day at work so I'm eager to get my butt home at night so I can get to the pasture and do whatever needs to be done that day. I can cuss and throw rocks at them (the cows when they get out) and I feel so much better and they could care less. :D :D :D

Because I enjoy running tractors and equipment and don't have the guts to try row crop farming

As far as the poll - #5 should read "I supplement Cattle with my day job"

subsoil, it's kind of funny that you should mention the equipment aspect. Around here some of the dairymen dairy so they can farm, i.e. run the equipment, and some farm so they can dairy.

dun

Crowderfarms":23eooygz said:
1. It's in my Blood
3. It's my Hobby

Guess I gotta say #1. My Dad was the first of our family to change careers. I mean he was the first non-fulltime cattleman anyone can remember. He always was involved which made me involved with them even though he had another job. Now we do it together and he just loves that we do that.

Me, it's in my blood, I love livestock of all kinds, keeps me out of trouble, keeps me off the couch, keeps me outside, and everyone knows you should save a horse............

Hmm..why do I have cattle?

An honest way to make a living doing what I like. Seemed like a good idea at the time comes to mind... ;-) Does that count?

(Still like them, just wish they would have paid some bills.)

Take care.

Thanks to all that responded! I was Glad to see no one chose the Land Tax Advantage.I've known a few people that had Cattle, strictly for that reason.They were in another State that had a property assesor that wanted to see cattle for basing a Greenbelt or Agricultural status to keep their taxes at a minimum.

Latest posts