POLL: Why Do You Have Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Crowderfarms

Reaction score
Wondered Your Reasons For Having Cattle?
1. It's in my Blood
2. I have em' for a Land Tax Advantage
3. It's my Hobby
4. I make my Living by em'
5. I supplement my day Job With Cattle
6. Beats the heck outta me?

Crowderfarms":3jhw5f5g said:
1. It's in my Blood
3. It's my Hobby

Guess I would pick one through five as they all apply excluding number four.
Mainly I just love the way of life.

lets see 1 i grew up with cattle 2 dairied for 28yrs 3 cattle are all i know had a reg polled hereford herd for a while then sold them out have a crossbred beef herd now in the thinking stages of getting reg beefmasters right now scott

bigbull338":2u7dsmup said:
lets see 1 i grew up with cattle 2 dairied for 28yrs 3 cattle are all i know had a reg polled hereford herd for a while then sold them out have a crossbred beef herd now in the thinking stages of getting reg beefmasters right now scott

Funny you should say that as I am debating going back to strictly commericial. I love my Herefords and I will stay with them or British whites just tired of all the garabage that goes with the registered side.

reging the cattle wont be such a big deal to me since i dont get into back scratching and all of that i got to thinking since ill be in cattle ranching till i die might as well go back to reg cattle and build a herd the way i want scott

Bez":2wydjvf3 said:
Figure I am just a bear for punishment!

Bez

Or just Sadistic . If you look at all the money tied up in the hateful beast.
Sometimes makes you wonder why you don't live on one of those postage stamp lots in town and fish and hunt every weekend. Except then you would have to deal with all the perverts,liberals, and nuts of the world called neighbors ha.
No way around it its in my blood.

I would have to go with number 6 with a little, "maybe I'm an idiot" thrown in. Had over 600 acres of corn blown flat 3 years ago, so I thought I'd buy some cows to clean up the corn, and ship them right before they calved. Well.... 5 semi loads and 3 years later they are still here. It was like a gambling addiction. The Mrs. tells people she was excited to get a few cows, but then the trucks just kept coming and coming.

Caustic

Wife and I were on our way to the other farm today. We were out to assess the winter damage to fences on the yearling pasture.

Passing through town I see at least 25 people on the driving range - pounding balls into the outfield.

I says to her: "Some folks have entirely too much time on their hands".

She says to me: "Looks like they could stand to do something productive with their time".

So we ran around the pasture - made a few romantic moves (thats all you need to know) - after 27 years of marriage it should be allowed - had coffee on the tail gate (we do that a lot) and figured what would be required to fix the fence before we run 'em out - and then we stopped for an ice cream on the way home.

That evening we walked the last of the calvers - tagged and needled the latest addition and went for supper. Pretty standard day for most country folks.

71 year old Mom is here visiting - she made supper and then she said something that stopped me in my tracks.

"You two have been working all day together. You know those folks in the city very seldom do that."

In the end I think that is why I keep animals. Working with the family makes it all worth while - the bad days are still better than a good day in one of those high rise chicken coops they call an office building.

Bez

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Excellent insight as usual Bez!

Hubby and I enjoy the heck out of the cows (MOST of the time). For me it's relaxing without having to be nice to people, which I have to do most of the time. :)

This afternoon we walked through the cows to check everyone on the way to the paddleboat for a quick tour of the stock tank and to wet a hook. What a life!! :lol:

I was raised around them. Sometimes I wonder why I have them.

Saturday evening at the lease I stood at the gate in the country quietness, and watched those sleek beautiful cows wander off across the lush green pasture, their sides wide with forage, and I knew what it was all about.

guess i would have to say "in the blood" and "make a living" (however meager :roll: ).....not much to live off of and therefore "supplement" by haying and growing wheat...at least if makes the ends closer together...will probably never get them to meet, though ;-)

After having retired from the "business" several times I still can't imagine the day when we don;t have at least a few cows around.
I have no idea where that fits in the orignal question.

dun

dun":1av5mm8g said:
After having retired from the "business" several times I still can't imagine the day when we don;t have at least a few cows around.
I have no idea where that fits in the orignal question.

dun

Dun, How bout, a Consultant, Mentor, still with Cattle?

Bez Wrote:

So we ran around the pasture - made a few romantic moves (thats all you need to know) - after 27 years of marriage it should be allowed

Dang Bez, my minds eye just got blinded by that. It'll never be the same. :lol:

Dick

Crowderfarms":37bjhmv3 said:
Would you ask a meth addict why he uses meth?
Can't help it. All my magazines,website hits, hobbies,projects,conversation,etc...are about cattle.

Crowderfarms":ln12mmhr said:
1. It's in my Blood
3. It's my Hobby

Well, in theory, it was supposed to be #5 but instead its turned into a fairly expensive version of #3 and some days I really get thinkin' its more like #6. Oh, well, I guess a fella's got to do something to keep himself busy. I'm thinking golfing or fishing might be cheaper and less aggravating, though.

I like working with cattle, been doing it most of my life I guess I don't know any better. once in a while we make something doing it so we just keep on.

Crowderfarms":3lzh2xgq said:
1. It's in my Blood
3. It's my Hobby

1,5,3,2,6 in approximately that order. Nowhere near to listing #4.

On those days when things are tough and I wonder whether to envy or pity those that don't ranch, I come to the conclusion I'd rather sweat, cuss and bleed for the opportunity to be around the cows and away from the crowd on a peaceful evening after my 8-5 job than have to go back and sit around a subdivision lot like all those poor suburbanites.

Latest posts