Pole Barn House

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot said:
Resale value enters in to my thoughts. Even if to my heirs. Dents and fading do as well. A brick house doesn't suffer those two blows. Personally, I like the idea, and the look on some of them.

In 1981 I had a Morton Building built with their standard grade of painted sheet steel. Today the roof is finally starting to show the Galvanized coating (primer under the paint) with no rust. Sides are dirty and not shiny any more, but paint is still covering the surfaces. No dents are in the metal. Stay with 26 Ga. or smaller and you don't have to worry about dents (opinion). Aluminum siding dents, vinyl siding gets holes blown in it by hail. Wood rots. Steel just sits there and does it's job, maintenance free. Just had the roof on my house redone. If I didn't think the 30 year asphalt-FG Timberline shingles would be there when I am pushing up Daisies, it would have been a steel roof. But at 78 I think the shingles will win the race. ;-)

cfpinz said:
Does anyone here have any ideas as to how to incorporate a storm shelter into one of these type buildings/homes?

Let's assume a concrete floor for now.

Ask the folks in Moore, Ok.....suburb of Oklahoma City. They have "safe zones" built into their houses....basically a concrete box, on an existing slab foundation (where their house once stood, not pier and beam) in the middle of their replacement houses, size and accommodations to suit the occupants. Two parts of the room include ventilation and steel door, 4 hinges, double bolt lock, that opens into the room, not out like most entry doors.....allows you to get out if debris is blocking the ability to open the door. Also facilities to support occupants for several days in the event rescue efforts are delayed in getting you out.

Texasmark said:
Bigfoot said:
Resale value enters in to my thoughts. Even if to my heirs. Dents and fading do as well. A brick house doesn't suffer those two blows. Personally, I like the idea, and the look on some of them.

In 1981 I had a Morton Building built with their standard grade of painted sheet steel. Today the roof is finally starting to show the Galvanized coating (primer under the paint) with no rust. Sides are dirty and not shiny any more, but paint is still covering the surfaces. No dents are in the metal. Stay with 26 Ga. or smaller and you don't have to worry about dents (opinion). Aluminum siding dents, vinyl siding gets holes blown in it by hail. Wood rots. Steel just sits there and does it's job, maintenance free. Just had the roof on my house redone. If I didn't think the 30 year asphalt-FG Timberline shingles would be there when I am pushing up Daisies, it would have been a steel roof. But at 78 I think the shingles will win the race. ;-)

As I think about it, the tin available locally was made here. It's all I've ever been around/used. The galvanized unpainted is pretty good stuff. I always get the galvanized, because the painted is scratched and starts rusting on delivery. I bet the painted is junk compared to "the good stuff".

Bigfoot said:
Texasmark said:
Bigfoot said:

As I think about it, the tin available locally was made here. It's all I've ever been around/used. The galvanized unpainted is pretty good stuff. I always get the galvanized, because the painted is scratched and starts rusting on delivery. I bet the painted is junk compared to "the good stuff".

My barn is over 20 years old and the red paint is starting to fade. The painted stuff is just as tough if not tougher if you buy the right metal GALVALUME.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
cfpinz said:
Thanks for all of the ideas and pictures, I appreciate it. We both like the house below, would like to keep it simple and still have it look like a barn. We'd likely go with a 14 or 16 foot eave to gain storage space and accommodate equipment, and two big garage doors in the end instead of a single.

My only question is why would you leave a beautiful state like Virginia?
Wondering the same thing just didn't ask? Heck, Virginia is for lovers?

jltrent said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
cfpinz said:
Thanks for all of the ideas and pictures, I appreciate it. We both like the house below, would like to keep it simple and still have it look like a barn. We'd likely go with a 14 or 16 foot eave to gain storage space and accommodate equipment, and two big garage doors in the end instead of a single.

Wondering the same thing just didn't ask? Heck, Virginia is for lovers?

Jimmy Dean of notable fame including being a genuine Texas Boy from Plainview, Texas and originator of JD breakfast sausage and sausage related fast foods, one day ups and moves to Virginia........turn coat!!!!!!!!!

Now what in the world would cause a dusty plains in the panhandle of Texas businessman/rancher/farmer guy to do that if he wasn't love sick or something of the sort.

TennesseeTuxedo said:

A few different things, really. We live about a half hour west of Charlottesville and it's just plain getting too crowded here. There's a brewery/distillery/winery on every corner and the roads are so congested with city folks taking Sunday drives out to the country to visit them. Our county literally has one stop light, but it's not uncommon for me to have to wait on 20 cars to pass before I can pull out on the main road a couple miles from the house.

Also, the humidity here in the summer is more than either of us care to deal with. I'd like somewhere where it's a consistent 10F cooler than here, and less humidity.

Don't get me wrong, there's a lot to like about Virginia, but in my lifetime I've noticed the area that I live in going from a Southern atmosphere to that of a Northern tone.

cfpinz said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:

A few different things, really. We live about a half hour west of Charlottesville and it's just plain getting too crowded here. There's a brewery/distillery/winery on every corner and the roads are so congested with city folks taking Sunday drives out to the country to visit them. Our county literally has one stop light, but it's not uncommon for me to have to wait on 20 cars to pass before I can pull out on the main road a couple miles from the house.

Also, the humidity here in the summer is more than either of us care to deal with. I'd like somewhere where it's a consistent 10F cooler than here, and less humidity.

Don't get me wrong, there's a lot to like about Virginia, but in my lifetime I've noticed the area that I live in going from a Southern atmosphere to that of a Northern tone.

You might ought to look at East Tennessee then. No income taxes. :D

I both like and agree with those of you using metal. Cb, you're right on with Galvalume. I have a couple of storage workshops made with steel. My one question to those of you that use it is what do you find works best to keep the mildew off. It seems to not clean with just pressure washing. Anyone have a favorite product?

One of my wife's must-haves this go round is a pantry just off the kitchen. I've been thinking about making the pantry and storm shelter one and the same. Rather than having a sunken storm shelter, use poured or block walls for the pantry and an reinforced roof/door. Any thoughts?

I wouldn't be afraid of poured walls with rebar tying it to the slab. The block you buy now is pretty soft. It might hold up to a f1 or f2 but if you get a real screamer it might not have what it takes. Traffic on the Brew Ridge is rough ain't it! Crying shame what liberals with money can ruin.

SmokinM said:
I wouldn't be afraid of poured walls with rebar tying it to the slab. The block you buy now is pretty soft. It might hold up to a f1 or f2 but if you get a real screamer it might not have what it takes. Traffic on the Brew Ridge is rough ain't it! Crying shame what liberals with money can ruin.

Yeah, but you can fill the block with concrete and vertical rebar to strengthen it. Form and pour a concrete lid on top and you've got a safe room. Just be sure you install the door to open in and not out.... ;-)

Still be a good idea to run that by an engineer. Just the added weight on the slab needs to be taken into consideration.

Thank you both.

SM - You nailed it re: the traffic and cause! I don't think there's a location in Virginia that's far enough away from Charlottesville to be safe.

bbirder said:
I both like and agree with those of you using metal. Cb, you're right on with Galvalume. I have a couple of storage workshops made with steel. My one question to those of you that use it is what do you find works best to keep the mildew off. It seems to not clean with just pressure washing. Anyone have a favorite product?

10% chlorox and water just sprayed down couple times a year.

cfpinz said:
One of my wife's must-haves this go round is a pantry just off the kitchen. I've been thinking about making the pantry and storm shelter one and the same. Rather than having a sunken storm shelter, use poured or block walls for the pantry and an reinforced roof/door. Any thoughts?
Good ideal as you will be were the food is at also....

jltrent said:
cfpinz said:
Good ideal as you will be were the food is at also....

Kind of what I was thinking. You and I have similar priorities...

Latest posts