Home made Boom Pole

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Anyone ever make their own boom pole ? I am starting on a boom pole with scraps I have just laying around. I plan on using it just for pigs. I am planning on using 2" square tube with 3/8 inch walls for the frame that goes to the tractor and I also have some 1 inch square tube which will be the actuall boom portion atleast I think its 1 inch may be 1.5" Do you think if supported properly and is 8 ' long it would hold a 400lb hog lets say?

callmefence":2t3ojgax said:
If braced well it might pick-up a pig. But that's a very light duty boom pole.
Have your pigs ate so many donut's they can't stand?

Lol I generally use a tractor with loader but don't like it getting so close to the fire. So wanted something that sticks further out

1" square tubing is a waste of time, you're pushing the envelope and limiting yourself to only light duty use of the boom.

I made a jib boom that slides over a set of forks to set trusses with my loaders, believe it's 3-1/2" sch 40 with a sliding jib made out of 3" sch 40. It's somewhere around 12-15' or so without the jib, which adds another 8 or 10 feet. It's well braced and handles 40' trusses fine. Biggest issue is slowing down the loader hydraulics to have some control over it, the length magnifies your movements right smart. Particularly nerve racking with a skid loader having foot controls...

Moral of the story, find some pipe and build it strong enough to do other tasks with, too.

cfpinz":1s17r04n said:
1" square tubing is a waste of time, you're pushing the envelope and limiting yourself to only light duty use of the boom.

I made a jib boom that slides over a set of forks to set trusses with my loaders, believe it's 3-1/2" sch 40 with a sliding jib made out of 3" sch 40. It's somewhere around 12-15' or so without the jib, which adds another 8 or 10 feet. It's well braced and handles 40' trusses fine. Biggest issue is slowing down the loader hydraulics to have some control over it, the length magnifies your movements right smart. Particularly nerve racking with a skid loader having foot controls...

Moral of the story, find some pipe and build it strong enough to do other tasks with, too.

I have schedule 40 pipe 2" and 3" Which would you use I am not sure I will use the pole for anything other than pigs but then again im sure I may find something. I never considered the pipe since I have no way to bend it.

Very seldom have I made something and thought to myself "Man, I wish I had made that lighter."

3" will accept 2-1/2" and 2" will take 1-1/2" should you decide to make a jib later. I used C-channel to make the fork receptacles and framework, then welded the pipe to the cross pieces and added some 3/4" rod as overhead bracing. Maybe just a tad overkill...

I cheated when I built one. I bought a used junker post hole auger and just welded fasteners for chains on the end

1" is pretty light to be hanging 200 lbs 8' out. Sounds like heat will be applied when using it too. I think it would do it but it'll have a bow to it. If you had a band or cable across the top from end to end it would work

Trailer mover for gooseneck? Weld ball into top of hay fork. Great for also putting log chain to pull stuff too, that little bit of lift on chain is handy.

littletom":128oqm23 said:
Trailer mover for gooseneck? Weld ball into top of hay fork. Great for also putting log chain to pull stuff too, that little bit of lift on chain is handy.

Yea this one's for moving gooseneck and will put a hitch receiver on it later

Latest posts