Hay Barn ideas

Help Support CattleToday:

DCB4

Reaction score
Planning on building a new barn primarily to store my hay. I've decided to put a lean to off of both sides. Wanting to get my head chute under roof on one side and use the other side to store equipment and such. All the structures on my place currently are wooden barns. Was thinking of going with metal sided pole barn for the new structure. Any thoughts or regrets you've had with recently built barns? Any big things you left out that you wish you would have incorporated? I will be running electric and we'll water to the barn figure that would be a must espicially with the chute being moved there

We have 2 pole barn hay barns. One is no longer used for hay. But equipment one has closed ends and doors. The other is open ended. For rolled hay i like the open ended one a lot more. Skylights turn into a pita in a few years. Just remember what can happen with everything under one roof. Had a barn fire they suck!

O make sure you get it tall enough. Bought a farm last year with a nice hay barn they you only stack 2 high 5.5 rolls. It is closed on the ends, so you can't fill it up too. That thing drives me crazy.

In your case, I'd rather have two smaller barns than one large barn. First would be solely for hay storage and the other would be for facilities/equipment. I don't like the idea of equipment or electricity in the same barn as hay, and would prefer two smaller hay barns to one big one in case of a fire.

I agree with having two barns.

On one we put it in coarse 2-3 inch rock, and then had a few loads of loose lime put in. Rolled it, wet it, rinse and repeat. It's darn near like concrete, skid steer won't dig it. Made a really nice floor that's a lot cheaper than concrete.

Atimm693 said:

On one we put it in coarse 2-3 inch rock, and then had a few loads of loose lime put in. Rolled it, wet it, rinse and repeat. It's darn near like concrete, skid steer won't dig it. Made a really nice floor that's a lot cheaper than concrete.

I've often wondered about using asphalt millings for such. Have you ever tried them?

Atimm693 said:

I would love to see a picture of that floor. Did you rent an asphalt roller or use something else?

sstterry said:
Atimm693 said:

I would love to see a picture of that floor. Did you rent an asphalt roller or use something else?

Just a field roller. Its 15 feet wide and 3ft around. Heavy sucker.

I can get a pic but it'll probably be monday.

Atimm693 said:
sstterry said:
Atimm693 said:

Just a field roller. Its 15 feet wide and 3ft around. Heavy sucker.

I can get a pic but it'll probably be monday.

Thanks that sounds like a perfect solution for a floor in a hay barn.

cfpinz said:
Atimm693 said:

I've often wondered about using asphalt millings for such. Have you ever tried them?

I use the Millings pretty extensively but only outside. I put down about 120 ton a few years back at 4" thickness. It packs really nice. I've been happy with it overall. Even heard of a guy that sprayed his Millings with diesel, lit it on fire, then rolled it and put asphalt sealer on top.

That is not recommended lol :shock:

<< Even heard of a guy that sprayed his Millings with diesel, lit it on fire, then rolled it and put asphalt sealer on top. >>

Thats a old trick for fixing potholes. You can use a bag of asphalt from a home store if you don't have millings. Put it in a hole, douse with diesel and light. Use a packer to flatten when its hot. Seal it after it cools.

My barn has a main barn with three sidewalls and two sides with lean twos for equipment storage. The main barn is a 4/12 pitch and lean twos are 2/12 pitches. There's a wall between the hay storage and lean twos to help stop a fire if that happens. One side is completely open and the other is sheeted in case I want to expand.
I thought about adding on and putting the squeeze under the barn but decided to just build a cover over the squeeze, alleyway, and sick pen. Things get a little rowdy sometimes and could see one getting loose and knocking around under the barn.