Pole Barn House

Help Support CattleToday:

plumber_greg said:
Hardest part of a pole barn house is keeping the mice out.

Haven't seen an animal shelter yet that isn't overflowing with cats needing homes!

All joking aside, that is something I had been wondering about.

From a plumber's standpoint, are there any concerns with a pole barn/steel structure type of house?

jltrent said:
I think it is a good ideal on the pole barn/house as I have a pole workshop and I could about live in it like it is.

Tour of Barndominium 193. This is a 2300 sq. ft., 2 bedroom, 2.5 bath Barndominium. As well as a 12oo sq. ft porch, 500 sq. ft. breezeway, 1000 sq. ft. shop and a large quilting room.

https://youtu.be/4Li4lsSC0uY

hqdefault.jpg

Really nice house in that video, but I wish they had put more emphasis on the structure and how it was built rather than the interior appointments.

My wife and I built our first house when we got married in our early 20's, neither of us had a clue what we wanted or needed. Now we're in our early 40's and there's quite a few things that we would have done differently, so we may get a second chance at this deal. #1 priority now, little to no maintenance!

Brute 23 said:
My parents metal home is I beam, metal studs, and cement floors. You would have to go out of you way to light a cabinet or matress on fire. There is nothing to burn.

Fire has always been a huge concern of my wife and myself. The steel frame construction would be beneficial in that regard, plus it's likely we're going to be in a high wind area.

Resale value enters in to my thoughts. Even if to my heirs. Dents and fading do as well. A brick house doesn't suffer those two blows. Personally, I like the idea, and the look on some of them.

cfpinz said:
Brute 23 said:
My parents metal home is I beam, metal studs, and cement floors. You would have to go out of you way to light a cabinet or matress on fire. There is nothing to burn.

Fire has always been a huge concern of my wife and myself. The steel frame construction would be beneficial in that regard, plus it's likely we're going to be in a high wind area.

After the hurricane you could see which houses held up and which didn't. I would say the metal homes definitely won it by a land slide.

Does anyone here have any ideas as to how to incorporate a storm shelter into one of these type buildings/homes?

Let's assume a concrete floor for now.

What your thinking will work fine especially if you keep in mind the points already mentioned. I have put apartment size areas in several when I was building them. Metal siding keeps it cost effective and relatively maintenance free. A storm shelter is no big deal. Dig a hole, line with block or pour in place walls, concrete decking on top with support beams and add a steel hatch you are good to go. If it was me I would put a concrete floor in that also as well as a sump area. I would also put a vent pipe in to it for fresh air.

Can't believe you would leave that view you have for Kansas/ Nebraska but to each their own.

SmokinM said:
What your thinking will work fine especially if you keep in mind the points already mentioned. I have put apartment size areas in several when I was building them. Metal siding keeps it cost effective and relatively maintenance free. A storm shelter is no big deal. Dig a hole, line with block or pour in place walls, concrete decking on top with support beams and add a steel hatch you are good to go. If it was me I would put a concrete floor in that also as well as a sump area. I would also put a vent pipe in to it for fresh air.

Can't believe you would leave that view you have for Kansas/ Nebraska but to each their own.

Thank you.

Bring the better half up with you the next time you're in the neighborhood and give me a call, we all need to have dinner sometime.

the top two picks are on a basement wall attached with concrete brackets columns were 8' apart with 2 ply headers and trusses 4' of, bottom pic is columns in the ground.

cfpinz said:
plumber_greg said:
Hardest part of a pole barn house is keeping the mice out.

Haven't seen an animal shelter yet that isn't overflowing with cats needing homes!

All joking aside, that is something I had been wondering about.

From a plumber's standpoint, are there any concerns with a pole barn/steel structure type of house?

No. For most it wouldn't be any different than a slab foundation. If the entire living space under the roof is climate controlled you can have the plumbing exposed on the roof making adjustments or repairs easier as well.

We live in a gambrel roof style house that was originally built s a garage/workshop. Took out the overhead doors and walled that part up and added conventional entrance door. Our inside part of the heating unit is in the attic/side wall part upstairs. The only real noticeable issue is that when it was originally built the downstairs has a 9 ft ceiling to accommodate trucks and tractors, leaving only 7 ft upstairs but other than that and our duct work registers on the 9ft ceiling it turned out very nice.

cfpinz said:
Does anyone here have any ideas as to how to incorporate a storm shelter into one of these type buildings/homes?

Let's assume a concrete floor for now.

Definitely need one if you're moving my way. (Yay! btw). Not ideal in my world but we have a lot of neighbors with storm shelters built separately, not far from the house.

Thanks for all of the ideas and pictures, I appreciate it. We both like the house below, would like to keep it simple and still have it look like a barn. We'd likely go with a 14 or 16 foot eave to gain storage space and accommodate equipment, and two big garage doors in the end instead of a single.

cfpinz said:
Thanks for all of the ideas and pictures, I appreciate it. We both like the house below, would like to keep it simple and still have it look like a barn. We'd likely go with a 14 or 16 foot eave to gain storage space and accommodate equipment, and two big garage doors in the end instead of a single.

My only question is why would you leave a beautiful state like Virginia?

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Caustic Burno said:
You can do anything you want with steel.

Is that your place CB? Very nice.

Yes and thanks.
Had our architect plans set to Classic Steel homes and they custom put it together back in 04. Think they have since been bought out by Kodiak.
Certified 160 mph rating on the structure. My neighbor who passed a couple years ago was a contractor for them went all over the country doing their homes.
It was amazing to watch the red iron came in two semi loads. Took about a day to set up the crane, two days later all the red iron was up.

There is some added expenses all the electricity is ran through conduit. The walls are 10" thick so all the door frames where custom ordered as well.

Latest posts