Polaris 500 vs 900

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Hook2.0 said:
Looking around for a utv and I found a 500. I dont need the high end speed, but how does the 500 do on hills and grunt vs the 900? The price is almost half of the 900 too. I'm not terribly concerned with resale, but its also a factor

I have never seen a Polaris here in my area. I am surrounded by deer lease and Kawasaki is king. Every neighbor runs Kawasaki except one has a Kubota.
With all that BS said my concern would be parts availability. No different than any other piece of farm equipment, is there a support system for them in your area. Everything breaks down sooner or later.
I am sure they build a good machine that's just not regionally popular.

Hook2.0 said:
Looking around for a utv and I found a 500. I dont need the high end speed, but how does the 500 do on hills and grunt vs the 900? The price is almost half of the 900 too. I'm not terribly concerned with resale, but its also a factor

You need to give M5 a call and ask him what he thinks. It's Kubota all the way here but we use ours everyday.

The 500 is good for cruising, spraying, etc. You will use low range more in the hills. It handles light loads fine.

Some 500s can be narrower than the 900s. That could be good or bad.

The 900 will pull better especially if you start hooking up trailers or adding better tires, any thing like that.

The 900 will have a better resale value.

Are these new or used? What kind of price difference are you seeing?

Just my opinion, if you live in hills I would get the 900. I prefer to be over gunned than under gunned.

Hook2.0 said:
Thanks fellas. Looking at used. The 500 has 189 hrs, and theyre asking 5300. All the 900s are 9-11k

Bigger difference than I thought. Guess that answers the resale question. :) You cant go wrong either way. They hold their value so if you dont like it sell it in 6 months and try some thing else.

I am a firm believer in the diesel model. Built like a tank with plenty of power. I am not sure what the cost differential is though. There aren't many that become available that aren't new.

Hook I know you recently came to TN but not sure where. I have a 2017 500 mid-size and you are welcome to come try it out if you are anywhere near Maryville. It does everything I ask of it. The only issue I had was fouling plugs the first winter. Took it to the dealership and they asked if I did much stop and go. Guilty as charged, the solution was leave it running instead of on and off. No problems since I started that. They also said keep it in low and keep rpms up. Can't speak for a 900 but theres a bit of info on a 500.

I've got a 900. Had a 700. Been around several 800s and a bunch of 500s and a couple of 1000s. DISCLAIMER- anything mechanical is subject to failure. With that being said I have no complaints out of the two I've owned. As a general rule, how you take care of them plays a major role in their reliability. The 500s don't have as much power, but it's more than adequate for anything I've ever needed under normal use. Biggest thing with a Ranger is not to make it strain in High. Low gear is there for a reason. That's just my :2cents:

My dad has had a 700 for several years. Couple belts other wise pretty trouble free. He putts around in it spraying and stuff. I use to check cows in several pastures most days. Only thing i really don't like about it is it's loud. Hard to talk to someone in it with you on the go. They may all be that way? I don't have one i have a old tacoma beater.

Drove a Gator 825i, and it is hands down better in every single way than the Ranger 700 that we have. Much better riding, super smooth take off, and it's quiet.

The Ranger has been nothing but trouble, ball joints, engine rebuild, ECM failure, broken sway bar, broken parking brake cables, manifold bolts vibrating loose, you name it, I've probably worked on it. Had it on the lift last week for an oil change, and every single bushing in the suspension is sloppy and worn, with only 1500 hours. I've seen Mules and Gators with twice as many hours that are still tight. Even from day one it was a herky jerky SOB. You either go or stop, there's no feathering the throttle to take off smoothly.

I wouldn't buy a Polaris, but a lot of people seem to like them. Gators and Mules are the original machines that were truly designed to work, you won't be sorry going with them.

I HAVE A MULE 4010..DOES IT ALL..EVERY POLARIS IVE EVER SEEN WAS IN MY SHOP GETING FIXED..I HATE THE REAR SUSP TOO..THAT INDEPENDENT SUSP SUCKS FOR LOADING IT UP BUT IT RIDES GOOD..I DONT CARE ABOUT THAT WHEN IM WORKING...THE SOLID AXLE IS BETTER ALL AORUND..CV JINTS AND ELECTRONICS ON THE POLARIS SUCK....BUT THATS FL..YOU KNOW HERE MAN..MUD MUD MUD..SNORKELS..BRY EM..STUPID ****

First and foremost for me is a bench seat in a cab that is easy to slide in and out of. Next priority is quiet. After that I can live with just about anything!

Stocker Steve said:
True Grit Farms said:
Hunting season is over and the payments keep coming. I like Yamaha have had decent luck with them considering the kids rode them everywhere.

Hunting ends in May ?

We're still turkey hunting here. But I was referring to the deer hunters. Deer season ends in January and that new ATV has been in the garage collecting dust and momma has been have to park her car outside. This is the time to buy an ATV.

We trade our Rangers in every couple years, currently have the 1000. I can't tell a difference between the 900 & the 1000 and most dealers are currently having specials on the new 900's.

TCRanch said:
We trade our Rangers in every couple years, currently have the 1000. I can't tell a difference between the 900 & the 1000 and most dealers are currently having specials on the new 900's.

What is your thinking on trading? How many miles at that point?

Latest posts