Poison Hemlock

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
Especially for you guys in this temperate zone (KY TN Virginia). Have you noticed that this warm spell (almost 70 past couple of days and lots of rain) has got poison hemlock growing. I found the cows standing in a patch yesterday. The cows did not touch it but it is so green it may be an attraction. I did see one calf nip the top off one. I will get this patch taken care of but who ever thought you might even think of spraying this time of year. Last year was weird. Now this year is. It is suppose to get cold. That should knock it back.

I have a spot I sprayed last spring and I must have missed a few. It is only 2" tall or so. It is really spread out. But it has stayed green all fall and winter. I don't know if that is normal, since I haven't been paying much attention to it until recent years. Last year was the first year I sprayed it because I had so much and it got so tall so fast. I think we are in for the same thing this spring. Nice thing is the grass will be taking off here if it stays mild! I wonder how early you can spray it and get a good kill?

If it is growing you should be able to spray it. But I am hoping this freeze we are getting now will put it in remission. Mine is about 6 inches tall and spreading out. Very lush. It is an early spring plant and goes to seed early. I am going to hit it early. Last year was the worst anyone around here had ever seen it. Looks like another bad year coming. Thanks.

Just posted an article on poison hemlock. Says it can cause congenital abnormalities (deformed hooves, cleft palates etc.) if eaten during the 40th to 100th day of gestation. I'm sure you know that but I didn't!! Just wanted to let you know just in case.

Colleen

We get a bunch of it, and never had a problem, but the cows do not eat it. For those who like to ID weeds, Missouri Extension came up with an app for your phone or pad, called Weed ID, and it is free. I have it on both my pad and phone, and love it. Great resource to have with you...

Latest posts