poison grasses

Help Support CattleToday:

lee_co_cattleman

Reaction score
does anyone know where i could get information or pictures of grasses which might be poison to cattle and would grow in Virginia. I have a clump grass in my pasture and am curious if it could be poisonous.

lee_co_cattleman":1zprtavc said:
does anyone know where i could get information or pictures of grasses which might be poison to cattle and would grow in Virginia. I have a clump grass in my pasture and am curious if it could be poisonous.
i know johnson grass can be very toxic after a heavy due or rain.an it will kill cattle when its in the toxic stage.get the vet out there asasp.he can counter act the grass tetney.

bigbull338":1b1cyjni said:
lee_co_cattleman":1b1cyjni said:
i know johnson grass can be very toxic after a heavy due or rain.an it will kill cattle when its in the toxic stage.get the vet out there asasp.he can counter act the grass tetney.

Bigbull, this is news to me. Thought Johnson grass was only a danger when grazed too quickly after a frost or freeze. Also if it has been stressed by drought can cause nitrate(cyanide) poisoning. Any other comments on this would help me.

Cowdirt":3g01vzeq said:
bigbull338":3g01vzeq said:
lee_co_cattleman":3g01vzeq said:

Bigbull, this is news to me. Thought Johnson grass was only a danger when grazed too quickly after a frost or freeze. Also if it has been stressed by drought can cause nitrate(cyanide) poisoning. Any other comments on this would help me.
cd ive seen it kill cows in less than 30 mins if it was wet with rain or dew.used to have some johson grass in the road ditch tween the dairy an house.an lost 2 dry cows from eating johnson grass being moved from the dairy to the dry patch.all they ate was a few bites as they walked to the pasture gate.an then they dropped dead about 30mins later.didnt take long to know what killed them.so we kept a watch after that.

Man I don't get it. I don't doubt bigbull's experience but my cows have grazed JG under all conditions other than the few days after a frost never had one get sick or die. They will selectively graze JG over almost anything other than ryegrass. Of course, I'll probably loose one or two now. :roll:

lee_co_cattleman":2f6exrdw said:

Take a picture of it and take it to your country agent. He ought to be able to tell you.

Alice

bigbull338":3m1zov0y said:
Cowdirt":3m1zov0y said:
bigbull338":3m1zov0y said:
lee_co_cattleman":3m1zov0y said:

cd ive seen it kill cows in less than 30 mins if it was wet with rain or dew.used to have some johson grass in the road ditch tween the dairy an house.an lost 2 dry cows from eating johnson grass being moved from the dairy to the dry patch.all they ate was a few bites as they walked to the pasture gate.an then they dropped dead about 30mins later.didnt take long to know what killed them.so we kept a watch after that.

It only takes once to make a believer, I'll guarantee ya'.

BB338, I remember Daddy losing some holsteins the same way when I was about 6 years old. Made him sick...and real aware! And, the misery my daddy went thru over it made a big impression on me...especially when we'd have to go out and chop it down.

Alice

Cowdirt":3abx94y5 said:
bigbull338":3abx94y5 said:
lee_co_cattleman":3abx94y5 said:

Johnson grass would be our second hay cutting in one field that is fenced off from the pasture. We haven't had any problems. I hate it for those that have.

My understanding is the same as yours CD.

Latest posts