Poison Ivy. How can I cure it?

Help Support CattleToday:

alabama

Reaction score

I got in it bad pulling up new wire on an old fence last Saturday. Yep my whole left arm in covered in the stuff. It is also popping up in other places this week.
What is the best thing to put on it?

Oh how I feel for you! My husband reacts terribly to it also, if he gets it too bad, his arms start looking like Popeye arms, at that point he has to go on the steroid Prednisone (sp?). Other than that, the link Dun gave you about says it all. Good luck! and Take care!

I get it horrible just looking at the stuff! I have found that sticking your arm or leg or whatever under running water and slowly turning it up hotter and hotter until you can't take it anymore they turn it up a little more and let it run over it feels AWESOME. It is kind of hard at first but it really makes it quit itching for a while at least. Just try it!

alabama":nwidk61h said:

I got in it bad pulling up new wire on an old fence last Saturday. Yep my whole left arm in covered in the stuff. It is also popping up in other places this week.

Did you get it on your p*ck*r too? :lol: Ohhhhhh that's fun!

I must be the luckiest guy in the world. Poison ivy, bug bites, poison oak or zumack, etc, they just dont bother me that much. It itches a bit when I first wake up or get the bite, but I just ignore it and it seems to stop itching. The more attention I pay to it the more it itches. I recently had poison zumack all over an arm and hand. Other than grossing people out it really didnt effect me much.

I'm very allergic to it -
don't mess around anymore - go straight to the doctor with 2 or 3 blisters -
Prednisone didn't work - after 2 miserable weeks trying out the Pred the doctor gave me a shot of DepoMedrol and it was gone in 2 hours - I was furious - now I insist on the shot

the doc can also give you some strong hydrocortisone that will slow the itching - but just get the shot - no itching

if you can catch it with 1 or 2 blisters - open the blister with a pin and then put straight bleach on it - burns like the devil but it kills it -

alabama":9l61t9tf said:

Lye soap, or you might try this website...www.poisonivysoap.com

We sold over 100 bars of it this year. Had folks buying it and shipping to relatives who were affected by it.The stuff aint never bothered me.Luckily.

alabama":70od9mlr said:

A bit of a different spin but, to answer this, I always use roundup to "cure" the poision ivy.

Go to the Dctr and get a shot of Cortizone and Benedryl. Should begin to clear up immediatly.

Unfortunately I get it bad also.

Your family doctor can prescribe you something for it. We keep a tube of Lidex handy, and use it when needed.

Old Wives Tale:

When I was a kid I was told that if you ate an odd number of poison ivy fruit (seeds), that you would no longer be allergic to it.
So I ate some and the only thing that happened was that I was worried if my "insides" would catch poison ivy.

MikeC":2y9le4ch said:
alabama":2y9le4ch said:

Did you get it on your p*ck*r too? :lol: Ohhhhhh that's fun!

You build fence nekkid??? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Where do you hang your pliers? :lol:

Find some illegally distilled corn spirits and rub some on it. It will burn like fire, but it will kill it. Had a case that the bleach wouldn't even work, but this did.

I don't know if this holds true for anyone else but I used to get the shot for it and I've gotten it so many times it doesn't seem to work anymore. The last time I got the shot I didn't seem to get any better. It will go away in about 2 weeks no matter what I've tried. If you know you've been in it you can wash with bleach when you get in the house and it will lessen the severity and distribution of the rash though. There is a poision ivy wash also I've tried, can't recall th ename right now, but it works about the same as bleach but a lot more expensive. Hot water is the only treatment I use now, works the best.

Thanks for the help. I surprised myself and stopped in at the doctor's yesterday evening. I cot a shot in the butt "Decadron." I don't know what that is but I could not sit-down for a while. I also got a card of pills and some cream. The shot worked wonders and I was very much better by last night. At least most of the drainage stopped running out of it. Total cost so far is $35 after insurance. I will call the Aflac lady and see if it pays. You know you are accident-prone when you can make money by making the duck quack.

And the hot water treatment feels so good that I suspect I will miss it when it is gone.

You probably need to visit your doc at this point for prednisone and/or cortisone shot. I've got a prescription called Embelline that works wonders on the rash - haven't had corticosteroids since we found this stuff. If you're hard headed about visiting the doc, you might try the products at this link

http://www.teclabsinc.com/sitemap.cfm

you can get them at your local drug store. The wash really does work well is you use it after exposure to the plant but I haven't tried it on the actual rash. Oh yeah, be careful with the clothes you wore, tools you used, etc. the urushiol ( oil that causes rash) will stay on things for years literally.

sidney411":1ume8rmv said:
I get it horrible just looking at the stuff! I have found that sticking your arm or leg or whatever under running water and slowly turning it up hotter and hotter until you can't take it anymore they turn it up a little more and let it run over it feels AWESOME. It is kind of hard at first but it really makes it quit itching for a while at least. Just try it!

Sidney is right! Hot water ( a little hotter than you think you can stand ) will make it stop for a good while. I've even used a hair dryer for some out of the way spots thats hard to get under a faucet. :roll:

My wife has to go to the doctor to get a shot and some meds to dry it up otherwise it spreads every where.

;-)

AFLAC will pay too if you go to the doctor. The lady said it would be at least $135 but most likley more.

I got it real bad in July and into August. I had an allergic reaction to it, had it real bad on my arm, went to the doctor, had 2 of the shots, didn't work, they gave me anti itch pills that just made me not sleep, so I quit taking them, just had to run its course, which took about 6 weeks of pure agony. I use to take cold showers, or soak the infected arm in cold, as you can stand it water, and it did alleviate the swelling and itching. The last few weeks, just itched them,( I know I wasn't supposed to ) just couldn't resist anymore.

GMN

I have never been allergic to it. I guess I could lay down in the stuff and it wouldn't bother me.

On the other hand, I can't be anywhere near wasps, cause they put a real hurtin on me.

Latest posts