Canandian Hemlock trees

Help Support CattleToday:

twodogroad

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum but have a ? concerning Canandian hemlock trees. We would ike to plant a few around the house. But are concerned that they might be harmful to our cattle. Does anyone know for sure? We have a call in to our Extention agent but have not heard back yet. Thank You

twodogroad":1dqwamma said:
I'm new to this forum but have a ? concerning Canandian hemlock trees. We would ike to plant a few around the house. But are concerned that they might be harmful to our cattle. Does anyone know for sure? We have a call in to our Extention agent but have not heard back yet. Thank You

I do not know much about trees - but I do know what a hemlock is.

We have a pile of them in our bush and the cows live there most of the year - no deads yet - and they have three years in this bush.

Bez!

twotogroad,

Welcome; always nice to see new people come in.

The following link shows many poisonous plants and their affects on cattle:

http://www.library.uiuc.edu/vex/toxic/intro.htm

I didn't see anything about the hemlock tree, but there are other varieties of hemlock (grasses and bush like) that seem pretty potent.

The best way is always to look up the scientific name of a plant/tree, as "common names" will vary from region.

Related, but not to your question directly.............this particuliar tree is now listed as threatened by the hemlock adelgid ( a bug). How you ask? There are so many of them around.........this is a fairly new bug, that is moving rapidly nationwide, and the NPS, and USFS predict large scale hemlock forest destruction within the next 15 years. As a part time USFS contract employee, I was privy to a seminar this past year concerning same.

Sooooo, that being said...keep in mind that you will likely have to treat this tree yearly to prevent infestation. :cboy:

Latest posts