Pneumonia, How Bad is it?

Help Support CattleToday:

buckwheat

Reaction score
I'm not really new here, My computer went down before Christmas, n couldn't get back on with the same name that I had. To get to the point, My Bro-n-law called me today n said he was bushhoggin n one of his cows was standin in the shade near, but not with the other cows with toung hangin out, breathing rapidly, as well as he could tell, but didn't check her out. What do u think is wrong. I say It may be pneumonia, sounds like it may be. I took some Mikotil out there got her up hearing each breath very loud, gave 5cc's Im and 5 subq. I've never heard a cow breathing that loud, lung damage, n how bad, I only wonder. Was the shot too late, and or what else could be done for her, could I have given her more, bout 1000 lb. cow. should I give Penn also, or what else. Thanks for any info.

buckwheat

Sounds like that is a little short on the Micotil 1000 lbs x1.5 ml per 100 lbs= 15 ml . Some Banamine would help, possibly a shot of fortified B complex . What is her temp?

Larry

For sure banamine or Dex ( don't use dex if she is bred), either will help her be more comfortable and breath easier. Micotil is a good drug for respiratory, but Larry is right, you were light on the dose. Initial shot of antibiotic should be heavy as opposed to light if you are going to go one way or the other. I would say no to the Pen, is like going from a hammer to a fly swatter at this point. If the Micotil does not work, look into using nuflor. If there is damage to the lungs, she will always have a hard time in the heat.

Thanks, we didn't have a thermometer near us, and when I heard her breathe, I knew it was bad. I have never read the label as to, how much to give just watched n listened to the fellow who got me some, and have saved a couple of cows, n a few calves with it. I got him to get me some nuflor also, but was always told the best for this would be the Mikotil. I've never seen one this bad, though. How soon could she be given more and how much? Thanks again. PS. she is still alive breathing at a more normal rate, but still loud {lung cutting} sound. How much, n how soon? n can I give banamine now aslo?

Ok, cow is much better, the next day gave her ten CC's IM. She seemed better the next day, The last dose gave her ten CC's SubQ. The cow makes noises once in a while now but no snotty nose, and eating again. Thanks for all the help.

buckwheat

buckwheat":1koupx4e said:
n can I give banamine now aslo?

Buckwheat-- you can give banamine at the same time as when you give the antibiotics. Banamine is just an anti-inflammatory drug.

I hope you are continueing the course of treatment for minimum 10 days. If she was that bad and you quit early she will suffer a serious set back. If you do not want to treat her that long with micotil, i would suggest Draxin or Excede. Both are pricy but last 10 - 14 days. Ask the vet about getting one dose.
Now one of these is given in the ear with a special needle, make sure and get it. It's duller and more blunt. As well, ask your vet to teach you how to give it. There is a special technic and if you give it wrong, bye bye cow. Pfizer has a program out where either the drug rep or the vet comes out to teach you how to give it for free... the teaching that is.

Latest posts