Plugged teats

Help Support CattleToday:

Texas PaPaw

Reaction score
Cow calved yesterday, has larger udder and teats. Tried to milk her down so calf could nurse. 1 teat was totally plugged, couldn't get any milk out at all, other 3 teats could milk a microscopic stream but very difficult. Toughest milking cow I've ever encountered. Don't think calf could ever get enough before giving out. Any way to get them opened up so calf can get milk. Gave calf a bottle of colostrum supplement and left him with mom. Seems interested in nursing her but haven't seen it happen. Have them in trap near house. Plan to feed some with bottle and hope he gets mom figured out. If can't get him nursing mom in a week or so will sell as bottle calf. Appreciate any helpful suggestions.

We had a cow this year have a big full udder as usual for her, calf appeared to nurse, but it never seemed nursed down. Day after day i saw the calf going downhill yet the cows udder was big, so we brought them up. We could get nothing out of the udder so we took her to the vet where he found she had mastitis in all 4 quarters. He said her brood cow job is now over..We hauled her to the sale and grafted her calf on a heifer who lost her calf.. From the looks, the udder just looked engorged like every other cows with a newborn, teats were normal sized and not inflamed and swollen. All the encounters with mastitis i've had have been in just one or two teats, not all 4, this was a first.
I have another cow who seems to be the same, but the calf is thriving for now. I suspect its getting enough to survive but will end up a dud at weaning time. She will also go to the sale at weaning...

Sometimes a warm wet cloth worked over the end of the teat and squeezing it and kind of rolling the wnd of the teat will open them up. Most times the calf sucking on them with the wet/warm saliva and the suction will open them up.

There's a little instrument someone makes called a teat tumor extractor. Used to remove calculi that may have built up inside the teat. Use to have to use one occasionally on dairy cattle.

Would a milk needle work in this case? I have one, but have not had to use it yet.

Latest posts