Nurse cow getting sore teats

Help Support CattleToday:

Tbrake

Reaction score
My Jersey recently has been getting sore teats. To the point some of them were cracking at the base. I have been applying udder butter 2 times a day now for about 4 days. Can anyone tell from these pics what might be the problem? Thanks

Nope, no pond. Drinks from a water tank. Have her on a 3 acre waterway with electric fence. Very dry and clean. I appreciate the response

I cannot pull up the images on my old computer for some reason, so will ask a couple of questions. When you say cracking at the base, do you mean at the udder line or at the teat end? I am not sure of the contents of udder butter as opposed to other over the counter stuff, but try to find anything that has vit E as well as lanolin and glycerin in it. Some will have zinc oxide. One dairy farmer here who has real high end Reg holsteins that he sells alot of embryos from; uses the human "aveeno" brand of hand cream that has the oatmeal in and it is great as I use it for my own hands. It's a "natural" type of hand cream but is sold most places. It will take a little time for them to heal especially if there are calves on her as they will continue to "wipe it off" as they suck.