Cutting teats

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
I was told by a very old vet many, many years ago that you should NOT cut extra teats off a heifer if she is PREGNANT. Prior to breeding is fine. Any of you ever hear this? I missed getting them off a heifer and she is a few months pregnant. Yes, I know they aren't a problem to leave on, but she is a show heifer and judges frown at extra teats.

I don't know if there is a correlation, but when I first worked on a dairy in Conn. the vet there would not cut the extra teats off the heifers that were pregnant either. They usually did them early on when they bangs vacc. the heifers at about 4-6 months. With the dairy heifers, you would sometimes find that they actually had some milk in them when they freshened, but that they only had 4 quarters so we would not milk them and they would just shrink up. I don't remember the farmer ever cutting them off when they were older.

I had one with an extra teat that was frostbitten, only noticed it at calving time, and of course that's the teat the calf wanted.. it was split and black, so I soaked it with iodine and banded it and next time I looked (a couple weeks later) there was no trace of it.

Nesikep":3dj405eo said:
Here's what I was dealing with

:shock: :yuck: I've not had any cows, that had extra teats like that! I have 1 that has a little nub ('extra teat') at he rear of a rear 1/4. It is nonfunctional.

Aaron":2z9l0kx2 said:
Sorta remember there being a term for heifers with extra teats...

That's right, CULLS.
wouldn't have any cows at all here then.. though it is improving.. Gotta remember, we started off with herefords though.. and a lot of miserable bags :p

Mega had 2 extra teats, and they worked... The cow pictured above is a cull anyhow this fall, she totally fell apart and looks worse than some 15 year olds
Oh, the term for extra teats is "Supernumary"

Latest posts