Knife cutting summer months

Help Support CattleToday:

TLM1988

Reaction score
Does anybody knife cut during summer months? If so do you spray the wound with a fly deterrent/anti-fungal medicine? Would banding be a better option followed with a tetanus toxoid? These are 300 # fellas, just curious to everybody's preferences. Thanks!!!

I've wondered the same...
Vet wouldnt dehorn a heifer for me last summer. Said the flies would cause problems. I waited til fall.
Surely someone will be along that has experience with this.

TLM1988 said:
Does anybody knife cut during summer months? If so do you spray the wound with a fly deterrent/anti-fungal medicine? Would banding be a better option followed with a tetanus toxoid? These are 300 # fellas, just curious to everybody's preferences. Thanks!!!
Yes I knife cut a few in the summer. I do spray. I rarely band but if you do give the tetnus toxoid 2 weeks before and again at banding. My knife cut heal faster than banded calves.

MurraysMutts said:
I've wondered the same...
Vet wouldnt dehorn a heifer for me last summer. Said the flies would cause problems. I waited til fall.
Surely someone will be along that has experience with this.
I'm sure there is a way but I never have good luck with dehorning in hot weather.

You can dehorn and castrate with no care in summer if you keep them lock in a barn afterwards. Otherwise, you're playing with fire.

kenny thomas said:
TLM1988 said:
Yes I knife cut a few in the summer. I do spray. I rarely band but if you do give the tetnus toxoid 2 weeks before and again at banding. My knife cut heal faster than banded calves.
Do you use fly spray or somthing like blu kote?

Getting ready to knife cut about 40 calves on Thursday and another 20 nxt week. I use a Newberry knife and then apply some pine tar to the front and back of their scrotum. Works great! The pine tar is sticky enough to last awhile and it definitely keeps the flies away.
I usually wait until November/December to dehorn.

thanks for the replies. Ive cut just a handful this time of year. all the input is greatly appreciated!!!

SBMF 2015 said:
Getting ready to knife cut about 40 calves on Thursday and another 20 nxt week. I use a Newberry knife and then apply some pine tar to the front and back of their scrotum. Works great! The pine tar is sticky enough to last awhile and it definitely keeps the flies away.

Have you never tried burning horns off? Way easier on calves than any other method.

Banding does not seem to present any issues for cattle or sheep, no matter the season, but I have only done so when dry and clean....but that would even more critical if cutting skin.

I would not cut anything myself.

gcreekrch said:
SBMF 2015 said:

Have you never tried burning horns off? Way easier on calves than any other method.

Yeah, we use electric dehorning irons, or if there to big gouge dehorners and then burn them.

It always reminds me of a joke: What's the best way to dehorn next year's calf crop? Screw them off... With a polled bull.

SBMF 2015 said:
gcreekrch said:
SBMF 2015 said:

Yeah, we use electric dehorning irons, or if there to big gouge dehorners and then burn them.

It always reminds me of a joke: What's the best way to dehorn next year's calf crop? Screw them off... With a polled bull.
We do that for the most part. Other than the Horned Hereford sired calves we have I doubt we dehorn 2% any more.

gcreekrch said:
SBMF 2015 said:
gcreekrch said:

We do that for the most part. Other than the Horned Hereford sired calves we have I doubt we dehorn 2% any more.

Yep, that's us too. May get a char with horns every once in a great while. Otherwise there always out of the horned Hereford bulls.

greggy said:
Banding does not seem to present any issues for cattle or sheep, no matter the season, but I have only done so when dry and clean....but that would even more critical if cutting skin.

I love making money by doing things other people won't do.

kenny thomas said:
greggy said:

Like putting out Forrest fires.... :tiphat:

sstterry said:
kenny thomas said:
greggy said:

Like putting out Forrest fires.... :tiphat:

Yep, if I make it till November will be 47 years worth of fires.

Latest posts