Calf with tiny teats

Help Support CattleToday:

colleen

Reaction score
I have a 4 month old heifer and I just noticed that her teats are extremely short. About a half inch long. Maybe not quite that long. She has all 4 but almost nubs. Any chance they may grow? Beautiful little heifer. Thanks! :(

Not compared to her. I've never seen any that small. You can normally see them hanging down. I've never seen any that short. Im going to ask our vet, just thought someone may have had same experience.

We have been doing this for 30 years and I've never seen one with teats quite that small! Probably just never compared them! I'm sure it's fine.

A picture is worth a thousand words, correct? Best way to get others' thoughts on something like this would be to snap a picture and post it if possible. I've had some pretty small, and had some that weren't. The ones that weren't were ones that would end up being culled for blown out teats when they got older.

I've never really paid that much attention to the size of the teats on any of the heifers I've had, at the age of 4 months. I wouldn't worry about it at that age. I think I'd be more concerned if they were large at that age.

I've never really looked at teats at 4 months but I would have guessed they would have normally been really small at that age.

Workinonit Farm":1x7rrxf5 said:
I've never really paid that much attention to the size of the teats on any of the heifers I've had, at the age of 4 months. I wouldn't worry about it at that age. I think I'd be more concerned if they were large at that age.

I agree.

I have handled a lot of calves showing cow/calf pairs. Which means bathing and clipping down under there. At that age most have teats so small that you have trouble finding them if they are furry. Never have seen one at 4 months with anything much larger than a pea or so.

Branguscowgirl! These are about the size of peas! Good comparison. Our other calves the same age you can see hanging down. Like an inch and a half or so. These you have to rub around and find. im relieved to hear you have some that are like that. This will be a show animal. We don't do this but our neighbor has already asked for her. Vet is coming out next week and I'm going to ask him just for peace of mine also. Just asked hoping someone on here has seen them that small because I had never noticed any quite like that.
And I would love to take pics on here and have a couple of times but it's so crazy. I use an iPad now can't do it off of here!! Wish this forum would get a pic button where you just hit and go to your library and it's done!!!
Thanks for yalls help!!
Colleen

For show not functional purposes, have the vet nip off the extras she may have.

Must be genetic to have long teats when they are that young. Because my calves sure haven't had any like that Nesi. I will never even see mine until I start messing around down there. Even my adult Brangus don't seem to have nearly as long of teats as I see on some other breeds posted. If shorter teats are adequate, I certainly would not see any benefit to having long teats. Kinda like a women, they just get in the way! :lol: