Plow vs. Disking vs. Chisel Plow

Help Support CattleToday:

Update on the plow. I brought it home and got it set up. Took alittle while of adjusting to get it to run right. At first it was only plowing with the first two moldboards. Pulled it no problem. Once I got it set right to get all three moldboards in the ground my tractor wouldn't pull it. It would pull it fine for 10-20 feet. Than after lowering the plow alittle deeper to make it turn the sod over correctly it would stop the tractor and it would start spinning. We did receive 1/2" of rain two days ago and an 1" the week before. Ground is black gumbo and pretty sticky right now. Think when it drys up some I will have better luck pulling it? Everything I saw in manuals on the internet said 1hp per 1" of moldboards. I have three 16" moldboards so that would put the plow at 48hp. My tractor is a heavy 75hp front wheel assist with water and weighs on the back tires. I thought I shouldn't have any problems. Any thoughts?

Soggy Bottom said:
Update on the plow. I brought it home and got it set up. Took alittle while of adjusting to get it to run right. At first it was only plowing with the first two moldboards. Pulled it no problem. Once I got it set right to get all three moldboards in the ground my tractor wouldn't pull it. It would pull it fine for 10-20 feet. Than after lowering the plow alittle deeper to make it turn the sod over correctly it would stop the tractor and it would start spinning. We did receive 1/2" of rain two days ago and an 1" the week before. Ground is black gumbo and pretty sticky right now. Think when it drys up some I will have better luck pulling it? Everything I saw in manuals on the internet said 1hp per 1" of moldboards. I have three 16" moldboards so that would put the plow at 48hp. My tractor is a heavy 75hp front wheel assist with water and weighs on the back tires. I thought I shouldn't have any problems. Any thoughts?
:lol: We in the blacklands have to farm different than the books tell us to.... :D.

greggy said:
Soggy Bottom said:
littletom said:
Moldboard plows should be illegal. Not just erosion but your carbon and organic matter is leaving. It took me along time to learn this

Care to elaborate on this? Are you saying its bad for a field to do it only once?

Turns everything upside down, that cant be good....

Turning things upside down can be very good.. We get sod bound really badly here, couchgrass and all.

i would think a 75 hp and front wheel assist (is that 4 wheel drive?) would not have a problem pulling that plow. after it dries some i bet it will pull it.

Dry will help, but if the wear parts are worn and without coulters it may take way more power to pull. If I dont have things adjusted correctly my 6btm plow will stop 175hp in its tracks, when in good ground adjusted right 125hp will pull it.

I tried it again yesterday afternoon in another part of ground that was dryer and it did pull it. I do believe I need to get it setup better also. Can I put a level on the main frame to level side to side and front to back? Also any tricks to insure it is straight with the tractor. Thanks for the help with this. Im very green in the plow business.

The right hand tires need to be set to the correct width so when in furrow that the plow is in the correct spot. That dimension would be in the book for the plow but can also be measured and calculated.

You can try a level. But I just set level by eye ball. Watch the plow in the ground and see if all the moldboards are flipping the soil equally. Adjust side to side and front to back so they are all taking an equal slice. A fully mounted plow is more sensitive to adjustments, a semi mount or on land are easier to setup IMO.

Thanks for the input on the plow. I finally got everything plowed and I am starting to disk now. I have noticed in the middle of different areas I have created a valley where the plow came together from two different directions. Is there any easy way to fill the "valley" back in with dirt. Should I address this issue after the disking is complete? I am thinking of build a drag type harrow out of channel iron to pull behind the disk. Maybe that will fill it in?