Plow vs. Disking vs. Chisel Plow

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd said:
If you have blue stem and you are sure that is what is. If that be the case you are destroying a grass that will make as quality hay as coastal or any Bermuda. Might just learn how to manage it for the optimum production.

🤫 you know bluestem isn't money makers for fertilizer distributors.... :lol:

Check this out before destroying the bluestem. Horse people really like bluestem hay.
http://npk.okstate.edu/documentation/factsheets/Economic%20Consideration%20of%20Fertilizing%20Old%20World%20Bluestemx.pdf

hurleyjd said:
Check this out before destroying the bluestem. Horse people really like bluestem hay.
http://npk.okstate.edu/documentation/factsheets/Economic%20Consideration%20of%20Fertilizing%20Old%20World%20Bluestemx.pdf

Not apples to apples. The op referred to kr.
Or King ranch bluestem. Introduced by Texas Dept of transportation. Who scattered it all over the state. Can produce great yields but not so much in quality. Some horse people are coming round to Dahl bluestem but when it comes to dollar value coastal is still the king.

callmefence said:
hurleyjd said:

Or King ranch bluestem. Introduced by Texas Dept of transportation. Who scattered it all over the state. Can produce great yields but not so much in quality. Some horse people are coming round to Dahl bluestem but when it comes to dollar value coastal is still the king.

Sorry for leading one astray thanks for correcting and old man.

hurleyjd said:
callmefence said:
hurleyjd said:

Sorry for leading one astray thanks for correcting and old man.

I just can't take it. I surrender, you win, please just stop... :help:

chevytaHOE5674 said:
When buying a moldboard plow make sure all the wear parts (moldboards, points, landsides, shins, coulters, etc) are in very good shape. Fighting with a worn out plow will make a preacher cuss. And with moldboard plows going the way of the dodo bird for the most part, you can be choosy as there is a lot for sale to look at.

Prolly going the extinct route due to old way or doing things, or, only good in very specific uses.

Looking at the amount of soil turned over, it would basically be be doing more harm than good where I am, in fact, the rocks would defeat it :)

I would leave the chisel in the shed where it belongs. Wait for the bluestem to get good and dry, then burn it off. Hit it real light with the disk, and then plant. Try to do it when there is pretty good moisture so it will work up better.

I'm assuming in south Texas you don't get much freeze and thaw. Here we can work things in the fall pretty wet. The huge clods will just melt away with a light pass of the field cultivator. We are anti tillage here, but we rutted pretty much every acre of beans out this fall. We are going to run over everything with vt's soon as weather allows

Moldboard plows should be illegal. Not just erosion but your carbon and organic matter is leaving. It took me along time to learn this

littletom said:
Moldboard plows should be illegal. Not just erosion but your carbon and organic matter is leaving. It took me along time to learn this

Care to elaborate on this? Are you saying its bad for a field to do it only once?

They are a tool that have their place in certain areas, certain soils, certain topography, etc.

Just because a tool isn't useful in your area doesnt mean it should be illegal and that it's the devil.

Silver said:
I'm a big fan of the moldboard plow on sod ground. Get that sod underground and out of the way, a pass with the power harrow (two if the plowing job wasn't the best) and then seed.

Turning plows don't do well in black clay so they are seldom used here. Rolling discs are the primary ground breaking devices with subsoilers for the deep penetration ahead of the disc.

One thing nice about the turning plow is just what you said. With the disc, if you have any vegetation, the disc puts it on top and it's a mess dealing with it, which is what I just finished doing. The disc cuts up the clods and makes for a rough field, not as bad as the turning plow but rough enough that you don't want to leave it like that.

So what's next? Out comes the spike harrow to smooth the dirt clods, preferably after a freeze or two occurring after a rain or two softens the clods, but the spike harrow picks up the loose wads of bunch grass and fills up with it. Then, when it decides, it just rolls over the wad and you have this big clump of dead grass and roots and dirt in the middle of the row. Getting that smoothed is a PIA and besides, it needs to be incorporated into the soil, not wasting away on top.

So today I tried something different. I got out in the field with my 61" Ferris ZT chopping and scattering the mess. Worked real good as a matter of fact and didn't take all that long and thanks to the spike harrow, the ride was nice and smooth....I'd still rather have it buried where it would improve my soils percolation.

callmefence said:
littletom said:

If you outlaw plows , only outlaws will have plows.

Agree with you where top soils are slim to none, like here in "Cottoned Out Texas". Seems the corn belt folks have 6' of topsoil, thanks to the glaciers so they aren't worried about it.......yes, no you corn belt guys?

But as I mentioned, I'd like to have it buried in the top 6" of soil.......I'm thinking.

I have found a plow I might buy but am wondering if my tractor will pull it comfortably. My tractor is around 9000# 75 hp with Front wheel assist. I have attached a few pics of the plow. It's a three bottom with 16" moldboards. Its a heavy plow also and seems well made.

I would think you could pull it no problem. I would like to have auto resets and coulters, but it might not be an issue in your conditions.

Soggy Bottom said:
littletom said:

Care to elaborate on this? Are you saying its bad for a field to do it only once?

Turns everything upside down, that cant be good....

There are some good things about plowing. Burying weed seeds is one. So many organic guys still do it.

Conventional corn and bean boys don't plow anymore because it is slow, and requires multiple passes. Strip till, or even no till, are growing trends.

Renovating a beat up winter feeding area is different than row cropping, and requires tillage if you need to drive or hay across it. Perhaps disking and spring toothing if you can not justify the new harrowing or minimum tillage tools.

Latest posts