Playful Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!
I have been having some issues with an overly "friendly" heifer. I showed her as a calf and even then she would have the tendency to push and hit with her head when you turned your back to her or whenever I went into the pen to catch her with her halter. Now that she's a lot bigger I'm worried about someone getting hurt if she keeps it up this show season. Any suggestions on how to stop her? I am not sure if the behaviour is playful or if it is meant to be aggressive. Last year she lifter our 4H leader (a 240lb man) off the ground when he was bent over untying his heifer that was tied next to mine. She's also more stubborn than anything I've ever seen when it comes to leading, she won't budge not even with 2 men behind her and a pail of food in front, the only thing she will walk to is to get into the trailer which she absolutely adores...help? Any strategies for calming her down? Any suggestions for getting her to walk properly on the lead? I was considering one of the control chains for my leather halter that sullivans sells that has the small points on it for under her chin?
Thanks everyone :)

Southview Sweetheart":375zb72e said:
Hello Everyone!
I have been having some issues with an overly "friendly" heifer. I showed her as a calf and even then she would have the tendency to push and hit with her head when you turned your back to her or whenever I went into the pen to catch her with her halter. Now that she's a lot bigger I'm worried about someone getting hurt if she keeps it up this show season. Any suggestions on how to stop her? I am not sure if the behaviour is playful or if it is meant to be aggressive. Last year she lifter our 4H leader (a 240lb man) off the ground when he was bent over untying his heifer that was tied next to mine. She's also more stubborn than anything I've ever seen when it comes to leading, she won't budge not even with 2 men behind her and a pail of food in front, the only thing she will walk to is to get into the trailer which she absolutely adores...help? Any strategies for calming her down? Any suggestions for getting her to walk properly on the lead? I was considering one of the control chains for my leather halter that sullivans sells that has the small points on it for under her chin?
Thanks everyone :)

She is simply too tame. Get another one, this one needs to be treated with benign neglect in some far off pasture with not much people around. :2cents:

I have a "control halter" which has a smooth chain under the chin, I rarely need to use it, but it does work well.

About pushyness, etc, best idea I have is to just give her a light smack whenever she tries it... I have a heifer that is a bit similar, I know she's just playful or trying to get attention, but she's not safe around other people.

Anazazi, I know your method wouldn't work with mine.. she adores people and attention, and is always the first to come and say hello.. her method is just not very acceptable.

No "light smack"! Smack her hard with a stick. Carry one at all times. She needs to learn to keep her head to herself. Don't pet her face and head either. Otherwise she's always throwing it at you.

To get her to respect the halter, let her drag it in the corral and get her face tender. Then she will come when you pull on it. High tie her for at least an hour a day.

I try not to make pets out of my show cattle. They get lots of attention, but they learn I am not a play buddy.

A "light smack" will desensitize her even more, and effectively harden her against pain so you willhave to be more and more violent each time, and soon enough it wont help at all. If you need to beat your animal, make sure it really hurts so you do not have to do it many more times. If she is too tame like is appears one time may not be enough, because she might simply not beleive you the first time.
Do not forget YOU made her this way and only you can undo it. If you are not ready to undo it put her somewhere where it is not a problem, like I said before. Cattle with little respect for humans is dangerous.

Make up a knuckle duster, get a piece of leather and drive numerous small tacks through it and then join it in a loop that you can wear over your knuckles then whenever you go in with her wear it, you don't have to be aggressive towards her just move your hand around so that it is the first point of contact with you as feed her or whatever you are doing, let her cause herself the pain by coming forward not you acting towards her you are just moving your hand around your body to put it in the way. I think it will help your situation, best of luck.
Ken

Thanks everyone for your ideas. She has been put out in the yard for the past few months and will remain out there for the duration of the winter. Im hoping the time out and not being pampered will have been enough. Otherwise i suppose she is going to have to learn the hard way that it hurts when someone hits you

Latest posts