Plastic gas cans=water magnets??

Help Support CattleToday:

EIEIO

Reaction score
Just wondering if there is any truth to the line of thinking that storing diesel and gas in plastic containers causes moisture to condense in the cans and after a period of time enough of it will make the gas/diesel go bad.

I've heard more than one person say it and I don't have a metal storage tank here for fuel and rely on a bunch of plastic containers mostly for my diesel. I had a tractor problem this year that I think was somewhat due to water in the tank and just the other day I noticed the ATV was low on gas and I had a 2 gallon container sitting in a pole barn with gas in it that was most likely bought 2 months ago. Within about 20 minutes of putting the gas in my ATV began to sputter. I've put some "Heet" (I think that is how it's spelled) in the tank but it's still acting up and I wonder if I ought to just drain the tank?

So, guess my question is does anyone know if plastic fuel containers cause a moisture condensation problem causing the fuel to go bad if left in them without being used for a period of time even if they are sealed up tight?

J

I've never noticed any more or less condensation in plastic then in metal. We have both types of cans we use for gasoline and used to use for diesel. On humid hot days followed by frigid nights which aren;t all that uncommon around here in the fall/winter, I've seen frost on the outside of the upper protions of metal cans but I haven;t seen it on plastic. Long term sotrage is probably more the problem then what it's stored in. In the fall/winter when we get large guantities of fuel we treat it with Stabil. I've used it as much as 3 years later and not had a problem.

dun

I would think there would be less in the plastic container.
EIEIO it's pretty easy to tell if you have water in any fuel container you can shine a flashlight in. The water will bead in the bottom.
If you have water in a tank you can siphon water off the bottom with 1/4 plastic tube instead of trying to dump the fuel off the top.

dj":3141xdp2 said:
I would think there would be less in the plastic container.
EIEIO it's pretty easy to tell if you have water in any fuel container you can shine a flashlight in. The water will bead in the bottom.
If you have water in a tank you can siphon water off the bottom with 1/4 plastic tube instead of trying to dump the fuel off the top.

A FLASHLIGHT???? :???: I thought you were supposed to use a match? :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: Just kiddin' :|

My 4 wheelers have plastic fuel tanks I would bet you have some bad gas try changeing the spark plug and try some new fuel.

If you buy any gas with alcohol it the mix. It will absorb water
and when there is a tempature drop or a big pressure drop
the water will separate out to the bottom.
Best thing to do is not buy gas with alcohol in it in the fall
or spring.And keep your tanks full when it gets real cold and
damp.To keep condensation and frost to a minimum.

EIEIO, water will condense on anything under the right conditions. The right conditions being a cold object subjected to warm humid air. A steel container will allow more condensation than a plastic one due its' superior conductive capabilities.

EIEIO":zwaikt6d said:
Just wondering if there is any truth to the line of thinking that storing diesel and gas in plastic containers causes moisture to condense in the cans and after a period of time enough of it will make the gas/diesel go bad.

J

I have wondered that myself sometimes. I have on occasion put a gas can outside in the winter ,let the water freeze up.And poured the fuel off ..

I have never had any luck with heat..

why does everyone have so many small containers
only thing we use those things for is to transport from bulk tank to the tool or vehical we are using them in

I use them because nobody does 2-300 gal home delivery now.
And I can't "do" 1000-1500 gal inventory. Plus while the small containers are a pain they don't cause the problems some government offical can. And I don't want to make time out of my day for their inspections/paperwork.

dj":3auefvup said:
I use them because nobody does 2-300 gal home delivery now.
And I can't "do" 1000-1500 gal inventory. Plus while the small containers are a pain they don't cause the problems some government offical can. And I don't want to make time out of my day for their inspections/paperwork.

We're pretty much in the same boat. I ahul the red deisel in 5 gallon cans and fill our 250 gal tank. But for gasoline we use so little other then the mules and lawnmowers, it
s a lot easier to just keep a coouple of 5 gallon cans on hand for that and the occasional pump or log splitter applications

dun

Farm Fuel Delivery has a milage charge, or Fuel Surcharge on it here now.It's almost cheaper and haul it yourself and burn on road Diesel, than have it delivered.

Thanks for the replies. Guess I'll chalk up the ATV acting up to bad gas as after running it for a while with Heet in the tank it's running fine again.

Funny the gas that was bad that I put in the ATV came from the same place I got my diesel from when I was having tractor problems last summer. Guess I'll just stop buying fuel from them, it saves me about 8 miles round trip getting it there but I'll just go on by next time and get in somewhere else.

Same reason here regarding having fuel delivered, it really costs more plus I'm pretty small time and even when haying I don't run out of what I have stored in my 5 gallon cans. Usually need to head into town at some point anyway during that time to pick up a part when something breaks!

J

We had some problems with our ATV's this year, took them to a local guy, he said, don't even unload them. Brought me over a can of "SeaFoam" white metal can with red lettering on it. Poured a bit into each ATV, and said to call him back if that doesn't do the trick. No charge.

Well, I called him back about a week later, just to thank him. Everything starts and runs like it was brand new! We add a capful or two to every "small engine" machine upon fill-up. He said those small engines have such tiny holes on the jets and such, it takes close to nothing to make something run like crap. All have run like a top since we started using it.

Latest posts