Plant or Feed??

Help Support CattleToday:

gus2121

Reaction score
I am trying to decide whether to plant elbon rye or feed my cows this fall. I am installing a feed bin to buy feed in bulk that I can get for $230/ton. Last year was the first year I planted and it didn't do so well, friends and neighbors had the same issue with it as well. May have just been a bad year. Figuring for 50 head of cows and feeding 5lbs/day, I can feed for 48 days for what it will cost me to plant 20 acres of elbon. The feed is14% protein. Is 5lbs/head enough?? What is everyone's thoughts please. Thanks

Oh and this is just for supplement. I am feeding hay as well. My cows start calving in January through April, mostly feb and march. I am putting up the fed bin because I am weaning calves and like to precondition them. Just would like to know what everyone thinks about feeding or planting. Thanks again

Just me, but I'd only supplement cows if I knew my hay tested low. If I found out that I had to feed, I'd probably closer to 10 pounds a day.

Sorry, meant to add that there are probably cheaper feeds to supplement with. I'd check around a little before I committed.

If you have good hay why would you have to supplement that much every day? Why didn't your rye take last year? Poor ground or no rain? Can you plant domething else? What's usually on the ground if you don't plant? Sound like a season wasted to me.

I didn't test the hay I bought this year, but the pasture has been heavily chicken littered for several years. I bought first cutting hay of rye grass and clover. My figuring is that elbon cost $13/bushel. Planting 2 bushels per acre, $7 per acre drill rental, 200#/acre ammonia nitrate (fertilizing twice) @ 385/ton is a total or $1430. The feed at $230/ton I can buy a little over 6 tons, at 5 lbs/day that is enough to feed for roughly 48 days. Last year I don't think the 20 acres I planted produced that much. The pasture I planted last year was chicken littered before planting. I just want to get the most for my money. The QLF feed is 415/ton and is mostly water and wont last them 2 weeks. The DM content doesn't seem to make the liquid feed cost effective. I am very open to suggestions on what people are using to supplement their cows with.