Planned Crabgrass Forage

Help Support CattleToday:

nap":jn4t7joi said:
I am wondering about the thermal tolerance of crabgrass. I am now rotational grazing through standing fescue paddocks and everything is going well, but the cattle are starting to get a little ahead of the fescue. I have clover and rye grass for Feb. and March. Would crabgrass bridge the gap between the fescue and clover? If not, does anyone know of any grasses that will grow from mid Jan. through Feb. I live in Southwest AR.

cereal rye?
http://www.uaex.edu/Other_Areas/publica ... A-3066.pdf

jj216":31x0r2wn said:
I think I might try it on a small plot .I guess 10 acres since the seeding rate is 5# an acre.I,ve got a spot in mind with a little bahia and regular crabgrass and lots of bare spots.I've got a few more ?'s if you dont mind.1-What seeding rate did you use?2-Did you use a drill or broadcast and drag or cultipack.3-Did you say no fertilizer?4- is your ph perfect(mine stays a little low but all I have is Bahia and it does fine)5-Where did you get it?(I've never seen it in a feed store,co-op etc around here.I see seedland sells it for 350 for 50#.Sorry to flood you with ?'s but if I'm gonna pay 350 for 50#'s my a$$ is gonna know all I can.

Elstel farm & Seed 1-800-858-7333 last yr. prices were $4/lb uncertified, $5.5 certified, $6.5 for certified aged seed.
The new variety is Quck N Big $7 non & $7.5 cert.
email [email protected]

Can you plant wheat on any of that? I'm across the state and north of you and my wheat is growing even with them eating it, and it is only mid January. I have been pulling them out on the dry days and running them in cotton stalks so that has helped. The wheat is supposed to be 6" tall when you turn them in and mine wasn't that tall on 23 acres, the other 10 acres were.

cereal rye?

Thanks guys. I'll do some research on both wheat and cereal rye. I do have some questions but I don't want to highjack this thread. I'll start a new thread in Grasses, Pastures and Hay.

Latest posts