Pitfalls of seeded bermuda grass

Help Support CattleToday:

B49AC6AD-B84B-4E1D-A723-67354902A132-4801-00000427C3D3FE84_zps6107e38c.jpg

This is the kind of Bermuda I have. It will grow 6-8 inches up on my driveway between mowings. It never gets very tall and cows won't eat it.

We have had good luck sewing bermuda grass. We sew in in fresh dozed land or plowed. We mix into our litter while loading the litter in the past has been moist enough for it to stick to it. Put a heavy roller on the ground after littering.
We are getting too much bermuda because of the past dry years the fescue has burned out. The cattle have spread it into fescue after walking through the bermuda while muddy and carrying it on their holves. When and if we ever get a wet cool summer the fescue will be back.
Yes, most every one here sparys to kill every thing goes and sews, litter real heavy some roll some does nothing they are gettting stands of bermuda.If we have rain get 2 cutting the first year.

Hillrancher,

Have you, or anyone you know every notill drilled it in fescue? I would rather not break my ground, unless it's absolutely necessary.

Bigfoot":1i4d0cv4 said:
Hillrancher,

Have you, or anyone you know every notill drilled it in fescue? I would rather not break my ground, unless it's absolutely necessary.

Even common want's the ground broken it prefers a seedbed to get a stand worth having.

Does mine look like common? It will grow through anything, whatever it is.

Not like what I have growing here as mine is finer leaf and has more leaf.
Now for the real question is that a recent photo?
It is to cold here for mine to even start turning green, much less growing.
Mine has a finer stem as well it is bermuda grass I am just not sure of the strain.
It could have to do with climate difference's as well.

It's from last summer. I played around with sprigging some of the Bermuda in my yard. It was successful. I only did a really small spot. It want do me any good to plant a Bermuda like what I have. It's total crap on height, and palatabilty.

I now question if mine is even Bermuda. It would never make a leaf like that. Mine is literally all stem. It is tough to.

Bigfoot":1ouvu3nf said:
I now question if mine is even Bermuda. It would never make a leaf like that. Mine is literally all stem. It is tough to.

Coastal can get real stemy in soil's it doesn't like and is not aggressive like common in taking over.
You say you spriged this where did you get the sprigs from?

Bigfoot":265lxbmd said:

This is the kind of Bermuda I have. It will grow 6-8 inches up on my driveway between mowings. It never gets very tall and cows won't eat it.

We have grass like that.
Some call it bahia but I disagree, it kind of gets a blue tint as it matures.
I think it's some type of native grass as it grows in all the ditches here

cross_7":23us8kuc said:
Bigfoot":23us8kuc said:

We have grass like that.

That is not Bahia as bahia is King here in this part of the world.
Every strain you can think of.
This is a bahia grass pasture that was recently mowed before this picture.
009.jpg

All I have ever heard people call it is Bermuda. I wouldn't be surprised to find out its not. We call a lot of things something it's not. It is very very cold tolerant. It never fails to come back. I lay conveyer belts were I tie my horses. This stuff will grow up in under it. Easily penetrates the edges of blacktop.

It's Bermuda. It's just in a semi dormant state. During the warm months when temps are consistently above 60 deg at night, and with moisture it will leaf out and grow upward.

You have a variety of bermuda for sure. Is it possible that you got a hold of some Alecia bermuda. It grows fast, can get stemmy and the stem has a purplish color.

BC":3ma15b9m said:
You have a variety of bermuda for sure. Is it possible that you got a hold of some Alecia bermuda. It grows fast, can get stemmy and the stem has a purplish color.

I forgot all about Alecia hadn't seen any in a pasture in a long time.
There was another old strain of Bermuda called African Star.

This has been growing in the same clumps here and there on my place, for as long as anybody can remember. It must be one of the oldest varieties. I don't know why it hasn't taken me over. Surely whatever I plant will be more palatable. Hopefully it will be as cold tolerant.

Bigfoot":2hqc6e96 said:
This has been growing in the same clumps here and there on my place, for as long as anybody can remember. It must be one of the oldest varieties. I don't know why it hasn't taken me over. Surely whatever I plant will be more palatable. Hopefully it will be as cold tolerant.

Bet somebody put out a roll of it at one time and that is how it got started.
Some of the older strain's I mentioned I haven't seen since the 70's.

Caustic Burno":232yy0gs said:
cross_7":232yy0gs said:
Bigfoot":232yy0gs said:

We have grass like that.

That is not Bahia as bahia is King here in this part of the world.
Every strain you can think of.
This is a bahia grass pasture that was recently mowed before this picture.
009.jpg

No question it's is a bermuda grass....which varieties are quiet numerous and range from the short varieties to the tall ones sought after for use as hay....the short varieties are sought after for lawns and golf courses.

Latest posts