Pinz Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

RazorbackRed

Reaction score
Have any of you had them? If so, how did they, or are they working out? For those who don't one any, what is your general opinion on them?

I love the coloring, but know little else. I am sure I would get docked a little at the sale barn because of the color.

RazorbackRed":2pm1dxim said:
Have any of you had them? If so, how did they, or are they working out? For those who don't one any, what is your general opinion on them?
Anyone that I have ever heard talk that owns them complains about the big discount that they get at the sale barn, like in the double didgets and mostly in the high double didgets.

We raise registered Pinzgauers and can truly say we love them! They are the most docile animal of all the breeds we have had(angus, hereford, holstein). The meat has exceptionally good flavor and is always tender. We don't have the sale barn issue because we sell breeding stock and direct market our meat. Our bulls and cull cows bring the same price as black animals at our sale barn. Steers do bring less, but like I said, we don't send many there. There is a market for these animals, you just have to look outside the box ;-)

I have a handful and as far as the animals themselves go, I really like them. Lots of good qualities but as LA said, there's quite a dock on the skunks at the market. Wouldn't mind owning more of them but the market here would kill me.

cfpinz

Cost of a registered pair will depend on the animal just like other breeds but somewhere around 1500 to 2000. You can learn more about the breed at my web page here at cattle today http://www.cattletoday.com/circlereds or http://www.pinzgauers.org. The discount varies but is there, I don't know what is meant by double didget, .01 or .10? If you are a small operation it is no big thing, their ease of handling, docility, lack of health problems, early maturity, mothering/milk more than off set the small discounts. Buyers are learning more and more about them. Recently I have been selling bulls to comercial operations that cross them like backwards baldies, white tails rather than white face. They are looking to improve their meat quality, primarily tenderness and retained heifer milk.

I have posted on this before, but I have bought them and loved them. They lasted well into their late teens and raised huge calves. I have always bred them to a charlois bull and there is no discount at the sale barn and the cows raise huge yellow calves. I buy the cows anytime one comes through the sale barn. Some are really good, but some are not because sometimes they are taken to the auction because they are culls from a herd to begin with----just like any other breed has it's culls.

that if you cross them back with a Black Angus they will keep their same "paint scheme" except the brown is replaced with black? Is this true? Also, still don't have a clear answer about how much they get docked at the barn?

Ex. If a 450 lb yellow heifer comes thru and brings $1.10/lb. Would the 450 lb Pinz heifer fetch $1.09, $1.05, or $.90/lb? I know it all depends on the market, the buyers etc, but just a general range from anyone who has experience?

Thanks,

that if you cross them back with a Black Angus they will keep their same "paint scheme" except the brown is replaced with black? Is this true?

If you breed them with a Black Angus, you will end up with a white tail. We bred our two Black Angus cows to Pinzgauer bulls two years in a row, the heifers last year turned out one a black with dark brown tint, the other black, both with white tails. The calves from this year out of them are black with white tails.

I almost bought a few registered bred mammas a few years ago for $800 per head. I like 'em. Still do. But glad I didn't buy any. Seen them run through the sale barn and get zapped by the buyers. I mean beautiful animals bringing half what a mangy black calf would bring. I don't understand it but I'm in it to make money so I stick with what the buyers want.

We have some. They make GREAT mothers. We have one that is 15years old and is still having great calves every year. She always looks good and is an excellent milker. We cross them with our angus and maine bulls and the calves are easy keepers. We sell ours as show calves and they our doing well in the ring. Currently we have a girl showing a heifer out of the angus bull who is doing real well in the show ring against the solid black maine calves.

paul swisher":37rlpy1o said:
Cost of a registered pair will depend on the animal just like other breeds but somewhere around 1500 to 2000. You can learn more about the breed at my web page here at cattle today http://www.cattletoday.com/circlereds or http://www.pinzgauers.org. The discount varies but is there, I don't know what is meant by double didget, .01 or .10? If you are a small operation it is no big thing, their ease of handling, docility, lack of health problems, early maturity, mothering/milk more than off set the small discounts. Buyers are learning more and more about them. Recently I have been selling bulls to comercial operations that cross them like backwards baldies, white tails rather than white face. They are looking to improve their meat quality, primarily tenderness and retained heifer milk.
=
paul...,
.00(.10%.....11%.....15%...,etc...(double digits...I am sure La meant) .000 would be triple digits...etc.

Razorback...,
I read somewhere, sometime ago that they didn't grade good as the reason they are disounted. A good cross may produce a good animal..grades.

preston39":2xhjsd35 said:
Razorback...,
I read somewhere, sometime ago that they didn't grade good as the reason they are disounted. A good cross may produce a good animal..grades.

All I have ever read about the Pinz breed said that they DO grade well and are very tender.

One of the reasons that they are discounted may be because not much is known about them.

If I sent a purebred Wagyu through the auction barn he would likely be discounted too, even though they are the highest marbling breed of all.

Someone asked about the salebarn dock so I just got done digging through this year's receipts to share. Sold one purebred steer this spring on the same load as a group of commercial angusx steers, same day/market, etc. Pinz steer weighed 610, would have been an L2, brought a whopping 70cents/lb while the M1/2 AX's in his range brought 1.15 to 1.20. He did have nub horns. In his defense, he outperformed my charx calves (sorry MikeC) which are usually the heaviest per day of age of any. Possibly the best calf on the trailer, but by far the cheapest. :roll:

cfpinz

cfpinz":i9yzgpd7 said:
Someone asked about the salebarn dock so I just got done digging through this year's receipts to share. Sold one purebred steer this spring on the same load as a group of commercial angusx steers, same day/market, etc. Pinz steer weighed 610, would have been an L2, brought a whopping 70cents/lb while the M1/2 AX's in his range brought 1.15 to 1.20. He did have nub horns. In his defense, he outperformed my charx calves (sorry MikeC) which are usually the heaviest per day of age of any. Possibly the best calf on the trailer, but by far the cheapest. :roll:

cfpinz

That's not a dock or even a pier, that's a whole waterfront

dun

dun":1rbgl3eq said:
cfpinz":1rbgl3eq said:

cfpinz

That's not a dock or even a pier, that's a whole waterfront

dun

Buyers? :mad:

Latest posts