Pinkeye treatment?

Help Support CattleToday:

Forget the vaccinations, first control the face flies, then use the Vetericyn Pink Eye Spray or just plain Vetericyn. In 40 years of working cattle this is the only thing I have found that works consistantly.

kjonesel":10mxylq1 said:
Forget the vaccinations, first control the face flies, then use the Vetericyn Pink Eye Spray or just plain Vetericyn. In 40 years of working cattle this is the only thing I have found that works consistantly.
Picked up some this week and treated some, some look better others don't.

SSGenetics":1td8pdgq said:
Banjo":1td8pdgq said:
tom4018":1td8pdgq said:
We are having a lot of pinkeye. This if very frustrating consider that we vaccinate for it. Been treating with LA 300 and some respond to it and clear up, others don't. Going to check with my vet tomorrow for other options. Anyone got any good any suggestions?

I have read that Nuflor will work, but thats a big drug to give one.

I'll tell you what I do.......if you don't want to get your cattle up everyday to treat them with evrythng under the Sun. Get a garden sprayer and mix up a fairly strong solution of sea salt and spray it in their eyes while they are loafing in the shade. It may seem harsh but I have cured every case that I have treated that way, been doing that for a couple of years now. You may have to spray their eyes twice but it sure beats getting them up all the time.
Works for me.

Id have to run them through the chute and tie their heads up to get enough saltwater in their eyes to do any good... :???:

It don't take that much......has any body ever been to the Ocean? If so.....ever get salt water in your eyes? .Did it burn like HADES, of course not. Any cuts or sores on your body would heal up in no time.
Out of a couple hundred cows and calves I only average maybe 3 or 4 cases of pinkeye a year, but then again maybe it isn't pinkeye, maybe its just fescue related, or some other irritaton. So far I haven't had any problems this year. Maybe I'm doing something right.

Oh I
almost forgot. If you research it , Veterycin Pinkeye Spray has sodium chloride in it. I believe that is .....salt!
Not knockin the stuff...just too expensive. Its hard to spray 20 ft. out with it.

Nope. No NaCl in the Vetericyn stuff.
Here's the MSDS on it:
https://www.accessbutler.com/msdsimages/A0004039.pdf

Y'all can use - and tout - that Vetericyn stuff all you want to. It likely won't hurt a thing, but it has no MAGICAL healing properties. Probably, it's biggest 'plus' is that you're just irrigating the eye (or wound) - and the fact that you're probably doing some other helpful things, like using antibiotics, patches, etc.

For all intents and purposes, Vetericyn is nothing more than a dilute chlorine bleach solution. You could make essentially the same thing by diluting normal household chlorine bleach(5% sodium hypochlorite - NaOCl) at a rate of 1 volume bleach to 50 volumes water.... essentially 2.5 oz bleach in 1 gal water
Yes, it also contains dilute boric acid, which has long been used in ocular irrigation solutions - it does have weak antifungal/antibacterial activity - but is also used in those sorts of preparations to adjust molality so that the solution is isotonic and won't further damage tissues.
The sodium magnesium flourosilicate fraction is a common ingredient in a lot of cosmetics - adds some 'gel' consistency.

soonerfan -
The eye becomes gray/white because: in a normal cornea, there is little to no water in the stromal tissue between the outer epithelium and the layer of epithelium on the inside. But, when the epithelium (on either side) is damaged, water from tears or ocular fluid seeps into the corneal stromal tissue - and you get that white discoloration - kinda like how the skin of your hands gets all white and wrinkly if you spend a lot of time in the lake or pool.
When/If the corneal epithelium heals properly, the water is eventually removed, and the cornea clears. However, some of these animals get residual scarring, if the ulceration is severe enough, hence the white spot that never goes away.

http://vetericyn.com/downloads/marketin ... lsheet.pdf
The eyewash and pinkeye spray is different in my understanding.... according to the ingredient list in the article above..the pinkeye spray does have sodium chloride in it, but it is such a small amount I don't think it is enough. it says treat several times a day, but who has time to do that especially when they are in the back forty and don't want to go anywhere.

banjo,
I stand corrected.
Wow. How much does a bottle of that Vetericyn Pinkeye water cost?
At 99.836% water(ooh, it's electrolyzed!), water straight from your faucet may have more salts and dissolved elements in it than that stuff.
David Hannum (not P.T. Barnum) was right.

Lucky_P":2hlrvyjb said:
banjo,
I stand corrected.
Wow. How much does a bottle of that Vetericyn Pinkeye water cost?
At 99.836% water(ooh, it's electrolyzed!), water straight from your faucet may have more salts and dissolved elements in it than that stuff.
David Hannum (not P.T. Barnum) was right.

It's over 20 bucks last time I checked. I might just start bottling my own home remedy .I should be rich in no time .

Well, we used to treat with LA200, give a shot and squirt some in the eye if I didn't have the LA200 eye ointment. We were losing a couple eyes every year. Last year we switched to Vetericyn Pinkeye spray. If we saw any watery eyes, we'd spray them with Vetericyn Pinkeye spray. We also vaccinated, as usual. We kept on top of it until August when I got busy with other stuff and a couple watery eyes spread and got worse. We patched them with denim after spraying the eyes. We also gave shots of LA200. We didn't lose any eyes, and didn't have any scarring.
We've used the Vetericyn Pinkeye spray this year already and any watery, red eyes clear up right away.

I'm not going to change what's working for us.

Red Bull Breeder":1j0qpe6g said:
TB me and you must be the only two people in the country that uses a wore out pair of wranglers to cure pinkeye.
Does appear so doesn't it. You can get a lot of patches out of each leg. ;-)

Chris H":1xy7xmoo said:
Well, we used to treat with LA200, give a shot and squirt some in the eye if I didn't have the LA200 eye ointment. We were losing a couple eyes every year. Last year we switched to Vetericyn Pinkeye spray. If we saw any watery eyes, we'd spray them with Vetericyn Pinkeye spray. We also vaccinated, as usual. We kept on top of it until August when I got busy with other stuff and a couple watery eyes spread and got worse. We patched them with denim after spraying the eyes. We also gave shots of LA200. We didn't lose any eyes, and didn't have any scarring.
We've used the Vetericyn Pinkeye spray this year already and any watery, red eyes clear up right away.

What's working?? The denim, the LA200 the Vetericyn??

TexasBred":j8kvy88u said:
Chris H":j8kvy88u said:

What's working?? The denim, the LA200 the Vetericyn??

If I catch it while it's just red and watery, the vetericyn is enough. If it's bad enough to give LA200, the patch helps it heal better & quicker.

Chris H":ktwz9m6o said:
If I catch it while it's just red and watery, the vetericyn is enough. If it's bad enough to give LA200, the patch helps it heal better & quicker.
Catch it early, slap a patch on it and forget it. Patch will fall off in about 30 days and eye will be fine.

Chris, do you put anything on the patch before placing on the eye? Sounds like you have a handle on fly control for now.

maryk":3dwy836n said:
Chris, do you put anything on the patch before placing on the eye? Sounds like you have a handle on fly control for now.

I flush the eye with the Vetericyn Pinkeye spray, glue the jeans patch on, leaving the bottom open, and give LA200. Fly control here in southwestern OH is 1 day away from being out of control, meaning it's a constant battle.

Chris H":1ng7zkz3 said:
maryk":1ng7zkz3 said:

I flush the eye with the Vetericyn Pinkeye spray, glue the jeans patch on, leaving the bottom open, and give LA200. Fly control here in southwestern OH is 1 day away from being out of control, meaning it's a constant battle.
Seems to be that way just about everywhere Chris. Helps if the neighbor has a decent fly control program going.

My Grandpa says you can treat an eye and it will be better in 45 days, or you can leave it alone and it will heal in 6 weeks. Antibiotics have come a long way since his times though. Micotil has been very effective for me. Much easier to handle than Nuflor and a lower dose than LA300. I use it in a dart gun and will generally see improvement in a week, if I catch it early enough. For the bad cases a patch of old jeans is about the best there is.

Latest posts