Pinkeye treatment?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
We are having a lot of pinkeye. This if very frustrating consider that we vaccinate for it. Been treating with LA 300 and some respond to it and clear up, others don't. Going to check with my vet tomorrow for other options. Anyone got any good any suggestions?

I have read that Nuflor will work, but thats a big drug to give one.

Nuflor will work and i have never thought that it was a big drug. I have done good with la200 also and there is a white powder in a bottle that you puff in the eye can't remember the name have used alot of it but have not had any pinkeye very bad in the last two years.you probaly know this but for me it is very important to keep the fields brushhoged and control flies as much as posible.

denvermartinfarms":2cfqqcl8 said:
Nuflor will work and i have never thought that it was a big drug. I have done good with la200 also and there is a white powder in a bottle that you puff in the eye can't remember the name have used alot of it but have not had any pinkeye very bad in the last two years.you probaly know this but for me it is very important to keep the fields brushhoged and control flies as much as posible.
We have fly rubs, fly mineral, spray cows and everything has been mowed once this year.

A 1300 pound cow requires about 80 ml single dose treatment with Nuflor, that is a lot of shots in my opinion.

A lot of pinkeye here and I've been doctoring cows and calves with LA300 and a squirt of penicillin in the eye.One cow had both eyes turning grey and she's had two shots of LA300 now one eye is clear but the other still has a small spot in the center of the eye.I also vaccinated for pinkeye and have the flys under control but I think it's the fescue seeds in one pasture I haven't mowed yet.

The powder is Neo-predef with tetracaine this has worked on it's own for me in some cases when i had pinkeye where i was not able to give shots but some take more to get over it.I can see what you meen about an 80 ml single dose beeing alot but it might work if they are not responding to what you are doing.i have not vaccinated for pinkeye in two years and have had les of it then when i was now i don't think it had anything to do with them geting it but i don't think it worked all that well either. just trying to help and tell my expierences.

Have you tried Vetericyn Pink Eye Spray? We have not used it for pink eye, but worked wonders when we had a bout of ringworma few years ago. You can spray it directly into the eye and the cows don't mind it at all.

Always just covered the infected eye with a about a 6-7" square of denim from a pair of old jeans. A tube of sale barn glue works great for holding the patch...when the patch falls off the eye has recovered. Catch it early it doesn't even leave a spot on the eye.

TexasBred":3ftqhjvh said:
Always just covered the infected eye with a about a 6-7" square of denim from a pair of old jeans. A tube of sale barn glue works great for holding the patch...when the patch falls off the eye has recovered. Catch it early it doesn't even leave a spot on the eye.

Do you spray anything in eye before attaching the patch?

banekar":3qlx0z9l said:
Have you tried Vetericyn Pink Eye Spray? We have not used it for pink eye, but worked wonders when we had a bout of ringworma few years ago. You can spray it directly into the eye and the cows don't mind it at all.
Picked some up today, treated some tonight. They really did mind it.

I hope this works for you, sorry about the cows minding it. Ours didn't, but we had ringworm not pink eye. Maybe that is the difference.

We use LA300 to treat pink eye. Our vet said LA200 is good but LA300 is more specific for treating pink eye. When the eye is pretty bad, we shoot LA300 directly in the eye and put a "Shut Eye" patch on the cow. They normally stay on for a week or two and the adhesive will finally allow them to fall off - but it keeps flies out of it. Hope this helps.

ousoonerfan22":c2q3bh3o said:
TexasBred":c2q3bh3o said:

Do you spray anything in eye before attaching the patch?
I use to always put some mastitis medicine under the eyelid but a vet on the board says that quickly washes out and does very little good. Just the patch will keep dust, flies and other irritants away from it as well as the bright sunlight.

tom4018":171r3n3n said:
We are having a lot of pinkeye. This if very frustrating consider that we vaccinate for it. Been treating with LA 300 and some respond to it and clear up, others don't. Going to check with my vet tomorrow for other options. Anyone got any good any suggestions?

I'll tell you what I do.......if you don't want to get your cattle up everyday to treat them with evrythng under the Sun. Get a garden sprayer and mix up a fairly strong solution of sea salt and spray it in their eyes while they are loafing in the shade. It may seem harsh but I have cured every case that I have treated that way, been doing that for a couple of years now. You may have to spray their eyes twice but it sure beats getting them up all the time.
Works for me.

Banjo":3nxehu7h said:
tom4018":3nxehu7h said:

I'll tell you what I do.......if you don't want to get your cattle up everyday to treat them with evrythng under the Sun. Get a garden sprayer and mix up a fairly strong solution of sea salt and spray it in their eyes while they are loafing in the shade. It may seem harsh but I have cured every case that I have treated that way, been doing that for a couple of years now. You may have to spray their eyes twice but it sure beats getting them up all the time.
Works for me.

Id have to run them through the chute and tie their heads up to get enough saltwater in their eyes to do any good... :???:

Most any antimicrobial which is effective against the Moraxella bacteria (and sometimes Mycoplasma species are also involved) can be helpful.
Problem with squirting or puffing anything into the eye, is that normal tear production will wash virtually ANYTHING out in 15 minutes or less - and when you have a painful condition, like pinkeye, tear production is accelerated, so whatever you squirt in will be flushed away even more rapidly.
The beauty of treating with systemic antimicrobials, like oxytetracycline, is that (at least for OTC) the drug reaches the same concentration in the tears that it does in the bloodstream, so the animal is constantly 'self-medicating' the eye, for as long as drug levels are maintained at an effective concentration.
Patching the eye, sewing the lids closed, or sewing the 3rd eyelid to the upper lid are all helpful in that they prevent further irritation from dust, stems, seedheads, and Ultraviolet radiation - and, closed lids offer some degree of support to an ulcerated cornea.

I'm a scientist and a skeptic - I have to think that any cows that recover after having salt thrown in their eyes, salt water squirted in, or, yes, the very dilute chlorine bleach solution(Vetericyn) - would have recovered even if you'd not subjected them to that - or, perhaps IN SPITE of it. Do you think your physician/ophthalmologist would toss a handful of stock salt in your eye to treat a corneal laceration or conjunctivitis? If you wouldn't do it to yourself, why would anyone think it would work - or would be OK to do to a cow?

tom4018":2uqkd3u2 said:

I have read that Nuflor will work, but that's a big drug to give one.

You do not say what conditions the cows are living under.

Open fields and little grass

Lush fields and shade trees?

Yeah - it does matter in some cases.

Less flies, less disease.

Any way you can minimize the problem?

If you can spray them with a hose then you can hit them with a repellent spray - you might try to do this - seen this done lots on a dairy. They simply ran the cattle through an alleyway as they left the barn and sprayed them as they walked by. Might not fit into your operation - then again it might. Make them go through an alleyway to get water. We have that option here.

Be that as it may, we use a cattle oiler with the recommended dose of whatever it is - cannot remember right now - in the tank - it is mixed with diesel fuel. It is not 100% cure all, but it reduces the problem significantly for us. The insect repellant seems to keep most of the flies away from the cows and they rub their faces on the chain oiler almost every day when they come up from the fields for water, salt and mineral. This rubbing refreshes the repellant on an almost daily basis - about like using mosquito repellant on your own body - not 100% but it helps big time when the bugs are really getting bad.

Cattle love it. We use the Lewis oiler with the flag attachment as well as the chain oiler. We use the mineral feeder and put salt in the holder at the base of the oiler. This makes the oiler a place to "hang out" once in a while - they really do use it - and no I do not sell cattle oilers - I just use them.

I am sure there are others as good and maybe even better - we bought this one at a sale a few years ago.

We treat the problem with LA 200 or any other suitable drug on hand - Nuflor is good but really expensive here - yeah - it is a big dose for LA200 - working from memory we do a sub Q of about 65 cc for a mature cow and less (of course) for the calves. For the cows - three shots to each side of the neck of 10 cc each time and the remainder in a final shot. Because it is sub Q we use a 3/4 inch needle and put it all in a 60 cc syringe which in reality will hold about 65 cc easily. We never exceed 10 cc to an injection site. I use a 20 gauge needle but you can use 18 with no probs - although the cow might not like it much.

When I inject I always slap the site with my hard fairly hard - it stings and they do not seem to jump as much when I hit them with the needle.

Salt water is not too bad to wash the eye out - I use it myself sometimes - on me - I do not truly believe it works to cure anything more than an small eye irritation - but then again I am not a vet - just running on my personal experiences. As long as the salt is fully dissolved I would use it with little expectation of it doing little more than cleaning the eye. I doubt there is much "cure" value to salt water when it comes to pink eye.

The old time solution was to throw straight salt into the eye. Not a real good thing to do in my opinion - dries the eye out big time and can scratch the cornea - both can cause some serious issues if it goes bad.

Seems Luck_P and I pretty much agree on the salt thing.

Used polysporin on a calf once with good results because it was all I had on hand.

Best treatment in my opinion is to use a combination of drugs and patch plus some serious prevention with the emphasis on the prevention.

Old tea towels work well as a patch but denim(?) - hmmm going to have to try that one the next case we get - hope I have to wait a long time. Have not had a case here in about three years - maybe more - probably just jinxed myself.

Best to all

Bez

Yessir, denim. Works great. Been using it for 30 years. Good and thick and tuff. Sale barn glue works best too. Use to have it quite a bit in the dairy cows even taking every precaution you could imagine.

snake67":2r08cmsb said:
tom4018":2r08cmsb said:

I have read that Nuflor will work, but that's a big drug to give one.

You do not say what conditions the cows are living under.

Open fields and little grass

Lush fields and shade trees?

Yeah - it does matter in some cases.

Less flies, less disease.

Any way you can minimize the problem?

If you can spray them with a hose then you can hit them with a repellent spray - you might try to do this - seen this done lots on a dairy. They simply ran the cattle through an alleyway as they left the barn and sprayed them as they walked by. Might not fit into your operation - then again it might. Make them go through an alleyway to get water. We have that option here.

Be that as it may, we use a cattle oiler with the recommended dose of whatever it is - cannot remember right now - in the tank - it is mixed with diesel fuel. It is not 100% cure all, but it reduces the problem significantly for us. The insect repellant seems to keep most of the flies away from the cows and they rub their faces on the chain oiler almost every day when they come up from the fields for water, salt and mineral. This rubbing refreshes the repellant on an almost daily basis - about like using mosquito repellant on your own body - not 100% but it helps big time when the bugs are really getting bad.

Cattle love it. We use the Lewis oiler with the flag attachment as well as the chain oiler. We use the mineral feeder and put salt in the holder at the base of the oiler. This makes the oiler a place to "hang out" once in a while - they really do use it - and no I do not sell cattle oilers - I just use them.

I am sure there are others as good and maybe even better - we bought this one at a sale a few years ago.

We treat the problem with LA 200 or any other suitable drug on hand - Nuflor is good but really expensive here - yeah - it is a big dose for LA200 - working from memory we do a sub Q of about 65 cc for a mature cow and less (of course) for the calves. For the cows - three shots to each side of the neck of 10 cc each time and the remainder in a final shot. Because it is sub Q we use a 3/4 inch needle and put it all in a 60 cc syringe which in reality will hold about 65 cc easily. We never exceed 10 cc to an injection site. I use a 20 gauge needle but you can use 18 with no probs - although the cow might not like it much.

When I inject I always slap the site with my hard fairly hard - it stings and they do not seem to jump as much when I hit them with the needle.

Salt water is not too bad to wash the eye out - I use it myself sometimes - on me - I do not truly believe it works to cure anything more than an small eye irritation - but then again I am not a vet - just running on my personal experiences. As long as the salt is fully dissolved I would use it with little expectation of it doing little more than cleaning the eye. I doubt there is much "cure" value to salt water when it comes to pink eye.

The old time solution was to throw straight salt into the eye. Not a real good thing to do in my opinion - dries the eye out big time and can scratch the cornea - both can cause some serious issues if it goes bad.

Seems Luck_P and I pretty much agree on the salt thing.

Used polysporin on a calf once with good results because it was all I had on hand.

Best treatment in my opinion is to use a combination of drugs and patch plus some serious prevention with the emphasis on the prevention.

Old tea towels work well as a patch but denim(?) - hmmm going to have to try that one the next case we get - hope I have to wait a long time. Have not had a case here in about three years - maybe more - probably just jinxed myself.

Best to all

Bez
They are running on pretty good pasture that has been clipped this year already.
We feed a IGR mineral, spray the cows at least weekly and some rubs. They have access to wooded or shaded areas.
All the cows were vaccinated with autogenous pinkeye vaccine, vet said we were the only cases he has heard of using that vaccine. Then he stated he has cultured some mycoplasma cases in this area. We may culture some if we get more cases.

We are trying some suggestions he made. Flies came early this year so we may vaccinate earlier next year.

Had a suggestion from someone to mix 3 parts water to 1 part bleach in their eyes, I just could not bring myself to do that. I try to treat cows with respect and not do anything I consider cruel. That mix seems like it would really burn.

I have meet Lucky and have taken several his suggestions into use on our farm, he is a great guy.

Ok dumb question but what causes the eye to turn grey? Some cows will clear up but some won't.