Pinkeye

Help Support CattleToday:

preston39

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Messages
1,542
Reaction score
2
Location
Kentucky, Smithland
LA does work (same active ingredient as Biomycin) but u probably need to come back after 3 days and hit them again. If it’s really bad u may have to keep giving it several times. I wouldn’t give it any more often than every 3 days though. Draxxin is really good on pinkeye if you can get some. Takes a script or maybe you know someone you can buy some from. Draxxin lasts 10 days so only retreat after 10 days. Eye patches work good too, esp on bad cases, but they are hard to keep on. About half of them stay on when I put the glue on type on yearlings. I’ve heard of people using duck tape and old blue jeans too but have never tried it. If you do that just make sure to tent the material over their eye so it doesn’t rub. Also there’s the safety concern of a bull throwing its head while ur trying to put all this on. U better have a good head holder on ur chute if u do that. Hope this helps.
Tried years ago...doesn't work for us. The 10% bleach water requires only one treatment. Just make sure the lid is open for good contact.
 

preston39

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Messages
1,542
Reaction score
2
Location
Kentucky, Smithland
Bleach?!?!? I wouldn't want it in my eyes; I suspect my cattle feel the same.

And yes, Draxxin works - if caught early. Nothing will save an eye that is already badly ulcerated.
Not being a cow...I conclude...you shouldn't use it. Neither did I suggest that.
LOL
 

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 9, 2004
Messages
12,414
Reaction score
1,394
Location
Central Upstate New York
All the Tetracyclines are great for Pinkeye and Footrot - never use it for respiratory. A patch (in conjunction with a 200 or 300) works best. I use old blue jeans. Cut a square and round off one corner. Use the rounded corner for the bottom - no glue on bottom.
Bleach is a GREAT disinfectant - but should NEVER be put in the eye.
 

Banjo

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 26, 2011
Messages
1,560
Reaction score
281
Location
Ky
All the Tetracyclines are great for Pinkeye and Footrot - never use it for respiratory. A patch (in conjunction with a 200 or 300) works best. I use old blue jeans. Cut a square and round off one corner. Use the rounded corner for the bottom - no glue on bottom.
Bleach is a GREAT disinfectant - but should NEVER be put in the eye.
Isn't bleach .....chlorine bleach? What they put in swimming pools? I would think a 10% solution would be fine.
 

Lucky_P

Well-known member
Joined
May 21, 2009
Messages
3,463
Reaction score
580
Location
Western KY
I'm presuming that what you are referring to as a "10% bleach solution" is a 1:9 or 1:10 dilution of regular undiluted chlorine bleach, which is 5% sodium hypchlorite... so, you're actually advocating a 0.5% solution, not 10%. Even that is pretty doggone strong to squirt into a damaged eye. If you wouldn't put it in your own eye, don't put it in an animal's eye... or a cut, etc.

The Vetericyn Pinkeye Wash that y'all seem to be so enamored with is 0.009% hypochlorous acid... which is what you get when you dissolve sodium hypochlorite(chlorine bleach) in water.
In other words, y'all are paying $30 for a pint of water (99.837% 'magical' electrolyzed water) with a drop or two of chlorine bleach added. Somebody is laughing all the way to the bank; though I guess that plastic squirt bottle is worth something.

Anything you squirt into a normal eye will be washed out, by normal tear action, in less than 10 minutes... contact time probably less in an irritated eye with increased tear secretion.
With systemic antimicrobials, like oxytetracycline(LA-200/300) and tulathromycin(Draxxin) that are present in tear film in the same concentration that they achieve in other body fluids, the eye is continually 'bathed' in a theraupeutic level of antibiotic, as long as administered dose lasts.
 

Banjo

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 26, 2011
Messages
1,560
Reaction score
281
Location
Ky
I'm presuming that what you are referring to as a "10% bleach solution" is a 1:9 or 1:10 dilution of regular undiluted chlorine bleach, which is 5% sodium hypchlorite... so, you're actually advocating a 0.5% solution, not 10%. Even that is pretty doggone strong to squirt into a damaged eye. If you wouldn't put it in your own eye, don't put it in an animal's eye... or a cut, etc.

The Vetericyn Pinkeye Wash that y'all seem to be so enamored with is 0.009% hypochlorous acid... which is what you get when you dissolve sodium hypochlorite(chlorine bleach) in water.
In other words, y'all are paying $30 for a pint of water (99.837% 'magical' electrolyzed water) with a drop or two of chlorine bleach added. Somebody is laughing all the way to the bank; though I guess that plastic squirt bottle is worth something.

Anything you squirt into a normal eye will be washed out, by normal tear action, in less than 10 minutes... contact time probably less in an irritated eye with increased tear secretion.
With systemic antimicrobials, like oxytetracycline(LA-200/300) and tulathromycin(Draxxin) that are present in tear film in the same concentration that they achieve in other body fluids, the eye is continually 'bathed' in a theraupeutic level of antibiotic, as long as administered dose lasts.
Normally i would agree with that statement.....but i think of all the times I've swam in public pools as a kid..... with the chlorine so thick you could smell it and I don't recall it ever hurting my eyes.
 

simme

Old Dumb Guy
Joined
Jul 7, 2020
Messages
963
Reaction score
1,616
Location
South Carolina
Chlorine levels in a pool run around 3 to 5 parts per million. That is 0.000005 which is 0.0005 per cent. 10 ppm is considered hazardous to your skin. It does not take much chlorine to be "so thick you could smell it". Taking 5% bleach and diluting it 10 to one gives you 0.5% chlorine which is 1000 times stronger than the water in a pool. I believe putting 0.5% bleach in the eye of an animal makes one guilty of abuse. I recommend anyone considering this to do some research on it first. Maybe mix it 100 to one and try it in your own eye. If that turns out OK, then try the 10 to 1 ratio. I don't recommend either.

Pure chlorine is a gas and is very dangerous. If you breathe it, your lungs will be burned and you will most likely die. A very little goes a long way as a disinfectant.
 

annmariemz23

Active member
Joined
Jul 25, 2020
Messages
38
Reaction score
37
Location
Northern California
Bleach?!?!? I wouldn't want it in my eyes; I suspect my cattle feel the same.

And yes, Draxxin works - if caught early. Nothing will save an eye that is already badly ulcerated.
Vetricin is dilute bleach. My dental technician said some people use a product where sodium hypochlorite is the effective ingredient for a mouthwash. Sodium hypochlorite (bleach) is an amazing chemical. It purifies water and then oxidizes out when it is done. Years ago a third world country was advised by our then sitting president to stop putting bleach in their water supplies because it was bad. The result was that a number of people died from bacterial infection. If the chemical is used properly, its effectiveness outweighs the danger it is preventing.

I agree catching it early is your best bet. Don't put it off or you will be sorry.
 

Hereford2

Well-known member
Joined
May 7, 2016
Messages
488
Reaction score
164
Location
Missouri
We have used La-300 with success, also Real apple cider vinegar in a stock tank clears pinkeye up quickly.
 

TCRanch

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 10, 2015
Messages
5,960
Reaction score
1,984
Location
Winfield, KS
This thread is cracking me up. My dad always said "It has to burn to heal!" while he poured straight rubbing alcohol on my wounds & Clorox on his toenail fungus. And my husband has resorted to raw apple cider vinegar (with the Mother) for "intestinal ailments" (it actually works). Ain't no way either went in anyone's eye!

Bottom line: you do you. And asking for assistance or posing a question on a forum will get you an abundance of information. Some of it's good (or great!). Some, not so much. But it's a matter of perspective. :)
 

chaded

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 17, 2018
Messages
411
Reaction score
356
Location
Southeast Ohio
This thread is cracking me up. My dad always said "It has to burn to heal!" while he poured straight rubbing alcohol on my wounds & Clorox on his toenail fungus. And my husband has resorted to raw apple cider vinegar (with the Mother) for "intestinal ailments" (it actually works). Ain't no way either went in anyone's eye!

Bottom line: you do you. And asking for assistance or posing a question on a forum will get you an abundance of information. Some of it's good (or great!). Some, not so much. But it's a matter of perspective. :)

You brought back some bad memories for me lol. When i was a kid and i would get poison ivy really bad my mom would dump bleach on it. She said it “dried it up.” LOL
 

aggietexan

New member
Joined
Jul 15, 2021
Messages
2
Reaction score
2
in the old days we used sulphur powder and glued a cover over their eyes. If both eyes then leave the cover open enough so they can see. Get them away from any other cattle (if you have them with the herd)
 

Similar threads

A
Replies
10
Views
6K
Anonymous
A
A
Replies
7
Views
3K
Anonymous
A
A
Replies
5
Views
2K
Anonymous
A
A
Replies
1
Views
755
Anonymous
A
A
Replies
1
Views
785
Anonymous
A

Latest posts

Top