Pinkeye

Help Support CattleToday:

tex452

Reaction score
We bought 3 young Hereford bulls about a month ago. My son picked them up but I really didn't want them because we are ok with the bulls we have. Looking at them today I noticed all 3 had pinkeye.
I went to TSC and picked up some LA 200 I wanted Biomicin 200 but had to settle for what they had.
I was able to pen them and vaccinate them. They were with 2 Red angus nand 1 black angus bulls so I vaccinated them too because they are always butting heads.
Has anyone used LA 200 for pinkeye?
It says on the bottle it treats pinkeye but I have never used it for pinkeye

La200 is garbage. Always had good luck with draxin, but you gotta pay to play..

I typically treat pinkeye with just LA 200 or 300. Our success rate is pretty good with it, the key is getting the right dosage and getting then treated as quickly as possible. If its a bigger animal, and I animal and I'm using a dart, then Draxxin is a better choice because of the lower rate of dosage.

I typically treat pinkeye with just LA 200 or 300. Our success rate is pretty good with it, the key is getting the right dosage and getting then treated as quickly as possible. If its a bigger animal, and I animal and I'm using a dart, then Draxxin is a better choice because of the lower rate of dosage.
Do u give the LA under the skin

LA200 and 300 have kind of worked for us - maybe 50/50 for pinkeye. With pinkeye I normally just let it run its course. If I doctor, it goes away in a couple of weeks. If I don't doctor, it goes away in a couple of weeks.

LA200 and 300 have kind of worked for us - maybe 50/50 for pinkeye. With pinkeye I normally just let it run its course. If I doctor, it goes away in a couple of weeks. If I don't doctor, it goes away in a couple of weeks.
I had a Hereford bull 20 years or more ago that I took to the vet and they treated him but he lost sight in the eye anyway.
They gave him injections all around the eye socket.

Did you give it for pinkeye and how many doses did you give them?
I heard to give another dose in 3 days if cases were severe.
im Going to buy some draxin anyway.
Just asking.
Never did multiple treatments that may have helped

It will help if you can pen them out of the sun. Draxxin is best but the LA will work fine, just don't expect any visible results for a few days. Another dose in three days will help.

A lot depends on the pinkeye type. From my experience I have used Draxxin and LA300, it did not help them heal up much faster, if any, than the others left untreated. If you can catch them when their eye is starting to water then it might work faster or better. as listed above getting them out of the sun will help.

If I catch it early, LA300 SQ @6cc per 100 lbs. works great. Only time I use Draxxin for pinkeye is if it's a calf in the pasture and I have to rope it/snub it against the grill of the Polaris.

BTW I vaccinate with an autogenous that targets both moxeralla bovis & bovoluli. Last year is the first year in what seems like forever I had pinkeye & fortunately, just a few calves.

If I catch it early, LA300 SQ @6cc per 100 lbs. works great. Only time I use Draxxin for pinkeye is if it's a calf in the pasture and I have to rope it/snub it against the grill of the Polaris.

BTW I vaccinate with an autogenous that targets both moxeralla bovis & bovoluli. Last year is the first year in what seems like forever I had pinkeye & fortunately, just a few calves.
I don't know if the wet late spring and early summer has something to do with this breakout. There's lots of flies this year.

Biomicin 200 and LA 200 are both oxytetracycline. They are the same antibiotic put out by different companies. Most cases of Pinkeye will resolve on their own, but oxytetracline may shorten recovery if received soon enough.

Flies hugely exacerbate pinkeye problems. Hard to tell how much LA-200 helps because you have no true basis for comparison...no control group in the study. However, patching the eye does help. We also use Vetracin ophthalmic spray and fly dust bags in quantity. We have had less of it this year because of the drought in our area. This decreases the fly populations.

I have only had pinkeye problems and cancer eye problems with Herefords with no eye pigment. This is just my experience and I select for red hair around the eyes. I know others do not like google eyes. Just my opinion.

Catch early when watering and lid closed. Use 10% bleach/water. Open lid and do 2 mist sprays. ...quickly...I say...quickly....It burns..expect a reaction. It is an excellent disinfectant. We keep them inside then for 2-3 days.
Works for us.
Anyone else with draxxin doing good?

We have a terrible outbreak this season. A sheep strain I read somewhere.

Last edited:

Latest posts