Help Pinkeye

Help Support CattleToday:

https://www.farmprogress.com/story-cure-pinkeye-oxygen-therapy-14-105130

This had the best results for me when we had pink eye in the herd a few years ago. I bought the human grade hydrogen peroxide at a health shop.

Dsteim said:
https://www.farmprogress.com/story-cure-pinkeye-oxygen-therapy-14-105130

This had the best results for me when we had pink eye in the herd a few years ago. I bought the human grade hydrogen peroxide at a health shop.

Might be ok if your cows where pets to treat them like that 3 or 4 times. I don't have the time for that. Thanks for the info though I'll try it if me or any of the family gets pinkeye.

Bigfoot said:
Draxxin will eat you out of house and home, during an outbreak. It's my go to though. Excede is about half the price of draxxin, and only a slightly higher dosage. "stuff" put on the eye, is a waist of time IMHO. Dart gun has been my preferred method on cows for a while $5 verses handling the thing is a no brainer. We stretch any calf weaning size and down between 2 horses.
have you ever used spectramast in the eye? It's been a one and done treatment for me

ez14. said:
Bigfoot said:
Draxxin will eat you out of house and home, during an outbreak. It's my go to though. Excede is about half the price of draxxin, and only a slightly higher dosage. "stuff" put on the eye, is a waist of time IMHO. Dart gun has been my preferred method on cows for a while $5 verses handling the thing is a no brainer. We stretch any calf weaning size and down between 2 horses.
have you ever used spectramast in the eye? It's been a one and done treatment for me

I have not, but I will research it.

Use of Spectramast tubes for pinkeye treatment is prohibited by law. Excede has the same active ingredient, longer duration, and it's legal.

Hook2.0 said:
People here swear by squirting moonshine into the eye too, but I dint know if that works
Some folks around here tried this on themselves but were not successful. They had poor aim and kept squirting it on their lips. :lol:

A lot of the old timers here used to swear by throwing salt in their eye. I will still stick with early as possible treatment with La 200, 300 or Draxxin. If I get them in the chute for treatment, I like to put a patch over the eye.

I'm imagining an old timer with buckets of salt and diesel fuel wondering why his cows are so wild.

My vet here in Ky says to use draxxin and give a shot of multi min 90 also. He thinks a lot of it is caused by poor nutrition.
he said studies were done at U of Ky. that said cattle were low in copper .....even if they were on a good mineral.

I'm imagining an old timer with buckets of salt and diesel fuel wondering why his cows are so wild.
Gee...ya think it was because after "treatment" and the pain subsided they were plumb blind? :roll:
He thinks a lot of it is caused by poor nutrition.he said studies were done at U of Ky. that said cattle were low in copper .....even if they were on a good mineral.
Poor nutrition can certainly play a role and certainly extenuating circumstances can trigger and exacerbate PE but my experience leads me to believe genetic propensity is a major factor.

I have a friend that still throws salt in their eye, still has trouble too, but thats the way daddy did it. This is a situation, where I feel you can use an older bottle of oxtet, not for the injection that they need, but to flush the eye.

I also had good luck adding iodine to minerals. I'm not able to find bulk Iodine anymore though.

Hook2.0 said:
Theres a pinkeye vaccine now. Not sure how effective it is.
Flies?

I was at a Conference last Spring in VA. (thanks for inviting me Kenny). One of the Speakers told us the vaccine is not very effective. British breeds are much more susceptible than the Continental breeds to pinkeye due to the lack of pigment in the eye. The main carrier is face flies that will move it from one cow to the next.

sstterry said:
Hook2.0 said:
Theres a pinkeye vaccine now. Not sure how effective it is.
Flies?

I was at a Conference last Spring in VA. (thanks for inviting me Kenny). One of the Speakers told us the vaccine is not very effective. British breeds are much more susceptible than the Continental breeds to pinkeye due to the lack of pigment in the eye. The main carrier is face flies that will move it from one cow to the next.

Moraxella bovis is the traditional pinkeye agent that is commonly spread by flies. It's also easy to treat. Moraxella bovoculi and Mycoplasma bovoculi are becoming more common and don't need flies to spread; you can have outbreaks in the middle of winter. These are more common with confinement cattle and usually resistant LA 200.

Strains of pinkeye tend to be regional, so nationally sold commercial vaccines are hit or miss.

Ky hills said:
A lot of the old timers here used to swear by throwing salt in their eye.
I don't know that salt does anything... Never heard that one. I HAVE seen a bunch of copenhagen in their eyes, though. Of course that was back when it was cheap. :lol:
I can't say that copenhagen works for pinkeye but I do know that if you have to rope something goofy and you throw a bunch down their throat after you choke them down they're a little easier to get along with when you let them up. :nod:

cow pollinater said:
Ky hills said:
A lot of the old timers here used to swear by throwing salt in their eye.
I don't know that salt does anything... Never heard that one. I HAVE seen a bunch of copenhagen in their eyes, though. Of course that was back when it was cheap. :lol:
I can't say that copenhagen works for pinkeye but I do know that if you have to rope something goofy and you throw a bunch down their throat after you choke them down they're a little easier to get along with when you let them up. :nod:

I don't know that the salt does anything other than irritate them, I think the idea was that it would make their eyes water more and maybe draw the infection out. I've heard over the years from several that said they used salt for it.
Conversely, I've not heard of the Copenhagen method, however I have heard of tobacco leaves being used to worm horses. I doubt it works but when we used to raise tobacco, a feller wanted a couple leaves to feed to his horse to worm it.

Latest posts