Help Pinkeye

Help Support CattleToday:

pricefarm

Reaction score
I have never had pinkeye so bad in my life. It's all at one farm I have there's 18 cows with 10 calves. All the calves have had it and around 4 cows so far. Iam going broke on treating them. Been using Draxxen. It works well and they are healing up fast but at the rate Iam going the whole heard will have it by the end of the week. Any suggestions??

We always used a shot of spectramast under the infected eyelids. One tube should treat several eyes

I've honestly only had a couple cases of true Pinkeye and LA300 was sufficient plus I sprayed with Vetericyn, did not use a patch & did not have to re-treat. But I also caught it early & it was a one-n-done. If anything's gonna cure it, Draxxin will but yes, definitely pricey! I vaccinate every year with an autogenous pinkeye vaccine. It's a custom blend that protects against both Moxarella bovis and Moxarella Bovoculi. I get it through my vet but I believe you can now get it through either the manufacture or online with a RX.

With an epidemic, draxxin does get expensive. Oxytetracycline is an antibiotic that also treats pinkeye which is bacterial. LA 300 is a bland of oxytetracycline.

There are vaccines but Moraxella which is the genus of bacteria that causes most pinkeye comes in several strains. Since most commercial vaccines are limited to only a couple strains, a local autogenous vaccine which includes the strains in your area is much more effective. Check with a local big animal vet to see if an autogenous vaccine is available.

Have never used Draxxen for Pink Eye... vet's idea or yours?
We've treated by squirting penicillin under eyelid, works if you get 'em early, not so much if eye has
large white spot. Oxy-tet 2 shots (2-3 days apart) if white spot... the earlier the better.

Prevention works best, cutting thistles or other weeds that can scratch eyes, which might be the cause if only in 1 pasture, fly tags and of course there are vaccines.

I would get everything up, and flytag, and vax with la 300 , if you can, lord knows that aint easy. Drax is expensive, at the front, but may also be cheaper in the end.

Flys are pretty bad been spraying them every couple days and have a rub up that they have to go under to get to water.
Yes my vet suggested Drax. I'll check tomorrow and see about getting la 300 it would have to be cheaper than Drax.
Do y'all use two fly tags one in each ear ? What kind would be best I have never used them.
Once they get pinkeye will they get it again this season ? Just wondering if this will end.
Went back up this evening and my bull has a watering eye and another cow.
These cows are at a rented pasture I have a pretty good working area but after a few days of getting them up and sorting there getting pretty smart about not wanting to come in the lot. I have had to dart a few of the calves that I couldn't get in.

pricefarm said:
Flys are pretty bad been spraying them every couple days and have a rub up that they have to go under to get to water.
Yes my vet suggested Drax. I'll check tomorrow and see about getting la 300 it would have to be cheaper than Drax.
Do y'all use two fly tags one in each ear ? What kind would be best I have never used them.
Once they get pinkeye will they get it again this season ? Just wondering if this will end.
Went back up this evening and my bull has a watering eye and another cow.
These cows are at a rented pasture I have a pretty good working area but after a few days of getting them up and sorting there getting pretty smart about not wanting to come in the lot. I have had to dart a few of the calves that I couldn't get in.

Studies suggest flies are not as big a factor as scratches. There is a study where swabs where collected from several herds. Almost all cows had Moraxella bovoculi and bovis. So the bacteria is ubiquitous. What many believe triggers it, is a scratch.

In my experience, if they get pinkeye, it does not reoccur for a while.

pricefarm said:
I have never had pinkeye so bad in my life. It's all at one farm I have there's 18 cows with 10 calves. All the calves have had it and around 4 cows so far. Iam going broke on treating them. Been using Draxxen. It works well and they are healing up fast but at the rate Iam going the whole heard will have it by the end of the week. Any suggestions??
A little late now but have you clipped pastures yet. I think the big grass this year from the rain will irritate their eyes.

I think that clipped pastures are worse about scratching there eyes that taller grass. Mine won't graze fresh clipped pastures if they have a chance to graze else where.

Red Bull Breeder said:
I think thaat clipped pastures are worse about scratching there eyes that taller grass. Mine won't graze fresh clipped pastures if they have a chance to graze else where.

You could be correct but mine have little choice. Way too much grass this year and I'm almost done clipping.

Injection of dex and penicillin into bulbar conjunctiva. Used 1 ml of dex and 2 ml of PEN. Also, iodine is important for dietary consumption to help battle the bacteria. Iodine present in tears helps to kill the bacteria allegedly. We battled pinkeye all summer last year. Could not get ahead of it. No autogenous vaccine was available. Clipped pastures, etc. No avail. UV, flys, wind, dust, sand, tall coarse grass and seed heads all help to injure the eye and create an avenue for the bacteria to do damage. Best of luck. It really, really sucks too! Not just because of all the extra work, but it's negative impacts on breed back and weaning weights.

Check with your veterinarian before switching to the LA 300. Some strains of pinkeye are resistant to it, and it's possible they've already tried it with other farms in your area. No need to try and reinvent the wheel.

Here is an excellent article on pinkeye. It is dated 2009 and applies to pinkeye in Virginia which is where you are. Note Moraxella bovis is found in the normal eye of most cattle. Dust, hot weather, seed heads, or a scratch trigger it. The tetracyclines (LA 200 is an example) are recommended for treatment in all stages. It is a 10 year old article so resistance is an issue.

NOTE: many of the pinkeye sprays are a waste of money. Lucky_P has confirmed that in previous posts. For example, the pinkeye spray vetericyn active ingredient is Hypochlorous Acid, which is not an antibiotic. If you want to wash the eye when you are administering an antibiotic, get a spray bottle at Walmart and make a mild solution of bicarbonate of soda (baking powder). Works well and refreshes the eye.
https://www.pubs.ext.vt.edu/400/400-750/400-750.html

We have had some real bouts with it over the years. About three years ago was hit pretty hard with it. This year have treated 4 so far. I think there are several contributing factors. Weeds, tall grass, dust and flies anything that irritates their eyes. I also believe that it can be more problematic if they aren't getting enough of certain vitamins or minerals. It has seemed to slow down here after we flytagged. Last year used XP-820 this year switched back to Python Magnum. We are also feeding an IGR mineral. Tractor is at the shop so pastures aren't mowed yet, I feel like we will have some sporadic issues here until it's mowed.

Draxxin will eat you out of house and home, during an outbreak. It's my go to though. Excede is about half the price of draxxin, and only a slightly higher dosage. "stuff" put on the eye, is a waist of time IMHO. Dart gun has been my preferred method on cows for a while $5 verses handling the thing is a no brainer. We stretch any calf weaning size and down between 2 horses.

I don't buy fancy eye patches, I cut my own out of old blue jeans & use back tag glue. Do not glue the bottom. I cut a square, and round off one corner. Put the rounded side down and leave unglued so they can still see looking down. I leave on until it falls off by itself.

Doctored another cow yesterday and that finished off another bottle of Drax. Going to pick up some LA 300 today , talked to my vet and he said some people had had pretty good success with it.
Going to get them all up hopefully tonight and give them a pinkeye vac and pour them with Brute , suppose to be pretty good at keeping flys off.

Latest posts