pink eye?

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
I got a bull calf, I'm not sure if he has pink eye, or a cause of it or what. His one eye is bulged out, really far, and very grotesque, has anyone ever seen this from pinkeye before, or do U all think it could be something else? I've not seen this before and not sure what to give it or treat the eye with, any suggestions?

Gail

GMN":2fnoj1bt said:
I got a bull calf, I'm not sure if he has pink eye, or a cause of it or what. His one eye is bulged out, really far, and very grotesque, has anyone ever seen this from pinkeye before, or do U all think it could be something else? I've not seen this before and not sure what to give it or treat the eye with, any suggestions?

Gail

Can you get a picture. We had one case of pinkeye that got so bad the eye ruptured. After a trip to the vet, she healed up just fine, and you can't tell now.

randiliana":1u5vyxxp said:
GMN":1u5vyxxp said:

Gail

Can you get a picture. We had one case of pinkeye that got so bad the eye ruptured. After a trip to the vet, she healed up just fine, and you can't tell now.
Do U know what they did for it?

Gail

Suggest a search on this board.

Some time back much informtion was entered on thread(s).

Bleach was strongly suggested...as excellent

Purple spray was strongly suggested....as excellent.

etc.

Gail once it ruptures that is it for the eye.You need to get your Vet out right away so they can inject penicillin into it and sew the third lid shut.

Pink eye spray is junk and do NOT use bleach ever.......

If it is pink eye you are at the point that if you mess around without knowing exactly what to do it will be too late for your Vet to fix.Call first thing tomorrow and keep the bull in a dark area that is not dusty also give him a shot of long lasting pen until you can get your Vet out.You can cover the eye with a patch for now too.

GMN":1qevew18 said:

Gail[/quote]

He started out with a spoon, gave her a shot of penicillin behind the eye, and then cut off the stuff that had ruptured. It was a few years ago now, so I don't remember exactly what he did anymore.

randiliana":16ob6cdz said:
GMN":16ob6cdz said:

Gail

He started out with a spoon, gave her a shot of penicillin behind the eye, and then cut off the stuff that had ruptured. It was a few years ago now, so I don't remember exactly what he did anymore.
[/quote]

That's what I had last year.In about two weeks she completely healed up and now she doesn't even have a white dot on her eye.I felt really bad that I let it get that bad.I tried the pink eye spray and was giving her long lasting pen but it didn't even touch it.That is why I and my Vet say the sprays are crap.
It was quite the procedure to watch not for the weak stomached.

Thank goodness not a single case of pink eye this year.

We have used both the purple spray AND the yellow spray with excellent results....though we jumped on it immediately at the first case of pinkeye. Pouring bleach into any animal's eyes is boarderline cruelty to animals. A vet would have to recommend that to me before I ever did it.

I don't have that much pinkeye but when I do i use a tube of mastitis medication (preferrably Quartermaster) and squirt about 1/4 to 1/2 a tube underneath the eyelid. Then get a about a 6 inch square of denim (old blue jeans), apply sale barn tag glue all around the edge of the denim and apply to the eye. This will keep the bright light away from the eye and it will fall off about the time the eye is well. But you can't wait until the eye is about to explode before you take action.

I've never seen pink eye make an eye "bulge" out. It will cause a white spot or film in the first stages, and if not treated, the eye can rupture, but that's going to leave a bloody mess, not a "bulge".

Is this something that was fine one day, bulged out the next? Seems like there should have been something leading up to the current condition.

It sounds like something I'd be hauling to a vet.. asap

TheBullLady":3fsfxok9 said:
I've never seen pink eye make an eye "bulge" out. It will cause a white spot or film in the first stages, and if not treated, the eye can rupture, but that's going to leave a bloody mess, not a "bulge".

Is this something that was fine one day, bulged out the next? Seems like there should have been something leading up to the current condition.

It sounds like something I'd be hauling to a vet.. asap

In severe cases they will bulge out 2-3 inches or more. I have seen several do this.

la200 is a good antibiotic for pink eye. I had a goat with it it cured hers. I thought she was going to be blind but she's not.The eye could have a rupture. Vitamin A has alot to do with eyes as well.If your bull has pink eye he won't be able to stand bright light. he'll try to hide from it.If he doesn't you have another problem.I used la200 untill the eye looked better.You can also vaccinate for pink eye if its a problem.

Latest posts