Pink eye vaccination.

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
When should and can you vaccinate for pink eye?How young can they be and how long does it last?Also what is the best brand and how successful is it to vaccinate?Does anyone in Alberta vaccinate for it?
Thank you HD

vaccinate annually 6-8 weeks before the expected fly/pinkeye season. We use Piliguard Trivalent, with varying success, get decent immunity later in season, but still get a few cases earlier on. I vaccinate everything older than 2 months.

With my past experience I am beginning to wonder whether I shouldn't start vaccinating in mid winter, will talk to the vet about it later today

KNERSIE":1wo952sh said:
vaccinate annually 6-8 weeks before the expected fly/pinkeye season. We use Piliguard Trivalent, with varying success, get decent immunity later in season, but still get a few cases earlier on. I vaccinate everything older than 2 months.

With my past experience I am beginning to wonder whether I shouldn't start vaccinating in mid winter, will talk to the vet about it later today

I think the key words here are "with varying success" I sometimes wonder if its a waste of time and money.

As a guy who raises H Herfs - they have a bad rep for this prob - we do not vaccinate.

As crazy as it sounds, we simply cull animals that have a tendency to succumb to this problem. Over the past 5 years I believe we have had less than two cases among the cows and only two or three calves that have come down with it.

It works here and we are quite ruthless when it comes to this problem as we are in a heavyt fly area during the summer.

Replacements - even the stellar ones - do not stay if they have had this disease.

We raise them - cheap as possible - to kill them.

Just my thoughts,

Bez>

KNERSIE":hgaa9vbv said:
We use Piliguard Trivalent, with varying success

We had great success for a couple years and then a huge problem last year. Our vet recommended switching to Pilguard Trivalent. I think vaccine helps but there are other factors. Last year we rented some headed out meadows due to drought and that seemed to start a pinkeye pandemic. Nothing like playing hide and seek in 6' tall reed canary with a one eyed animal.

Some people use the 7 way with pinkeye vaccine early and then booster before the fly season.

Thank you to all that responded I now have power in my house so I can reply.That leaves me with the same questions as before.I think I will not vaccinate for pink eye this year as I hate stressing animals more than they have to and since this has already been a very hard year on them I will just have to make sure my oilers/rubs are working and accessible to all.

Thanks for responding very much appreciated HD.

KNERSIE":3ouqt766 said:

KNERSIE Late december to mid jan is the time i vac my cow's and bull have not done the calve's yet going to try to this weekend.

hillsdown before we started vac for pinkeye we had trouble every year never failed talked to the vet he recommened vac to help with the problem we took his advice and have not had any problrm since now that i have said that lightning will proubly strick.

rattler

Calves are often very uncomfortable for a day or so after the vaccination if you do it IM in the neck, the favour that front leg closest to the injection site, for calves i would recommend SQ.

KNERSIE":3ayjlukt said:
Calves are often very uncomfortable for a day or so after the vaccination if you do it IM in the neck, the favour that front leg closest to the injection site, for calves i would recommend SQ.

Thank's KNERSIE appericate it.

rattler

hillsdown":zh8exwfu said:
Thank you to all that responded I now have power in my house so I can reply.That leaves me with the same questions as before.I think I will not vaccinate for pink eye this year as I hate stressing animals more than they have to and since this has already been a very hard year on them I will just have to make sure my oilers/rubs are working and accessible to all.

I might add that when you see the most pinkeye is when the cattle start becoming somewhat stressed due to drought /poor pasture, in other words when their nutrition requirements aren't being met, so try to keep them on good pasture. JMHO

TSR":pugohk3f said:
hillsdown":pugohk3f said:

I might add that when you see the most pinkeye is when the cattle start becoming somewhat stressed due to drought /poor pasture, in other words when their nutrition requirements aren't being met, so try to keep them on good pasture. JMHO

This is not my experience, we have problems late spring early summer when the grass are at it tallest and best. Later on as it gets drier and the problems go away.

Pinkeye and fly problems aren't a one shot kill. I posted this on another topic as well, if you want "good" control, if there is such a thing, then you have to hit your fly/pinkeye causing problems from a few directions. tags, vaccine, bags or rubs, etc. etc.

Latest posts