Pink Eye Occurance

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I have been vacinating for pink eye the last couple years. I was running with about 1 or 2 percent per summer getting infected until this year - - now I am at 3 percent per WEEK. Any tips or feedback for getting this back under control?

Steve, my vet has us vaccinate for pinkeye once in March and then again in the middle of june and we switch brands every year. He said one dose doesn't always catch 'em and we do it and don't have any problems with pinkeye except for the occasianial seed head in their eye or just dust in their eyes.

jersey lilly":lbvwnw7l said:
A good mineral program will eliminate pink eye occurance almost always. Along with a whole bunch of other benefits

What mineral specifically?

Last fall I had problems with my red poll heifers continually getting pink eye and weepy eyes.
This spring I had them vaccinated for pink eye when the vet did the pelvic exam.

I also started using a mineral with CTC and IGR in it and so far I've only had one to come down with it.

Where the heifers are at, there's no facilities to get them up or else I would be spraying them at least once a month for flies with Permectrin II.

Our vet told us that the pinkeye shot is not a cure all. He said none of them protect against all strains of pinkeye.

With that said, I don't think it would be bad to vaccinate against it, but there are alot of factors that cause pinkeye. Most occurrences come from getting seed heads or a poke in the eye. It can also come from flies from cattle not far from your herd that have pinkeye.

ENNOT":34i58pvg said:
Our vet told us that the pinkeye shot is not a cure all. He said none of them protect against all strains of pinkeye.

Your Vet is right TO vaccinate for pinkeye is a waste of time and money. Just call the drug co. and ask how many strains their drug covers ,and then ask how many strains of pinkeye there are .

Yes, I realize what you're saying but the vet I use for my bovine developed his own strain of pinkeye vac based on the area's cattle that were gettting it.

While I realize a new strain could present itself, I feel like its fairly effective.

MoGal is right, at least where I am at. Our local clinic will culture some of the pinkeye they get. They then send it off to have a vaccine made. It is well worth what we spend on it. We have always been very fortunate with it. Much better than the generic pinkeye with the seven way. I have never heard that pinkeye has anything to do with mineral programs. IGR does wonders for back flies, but isn't nearly as good on face flies. Adding CTC is what several producers around us also do.

Latest posts