Pink Eye Fight?

Help Support CattleToday:

LizHartley1991

Reaction score
Forgive me if what I'm about to ask is ignorant, but has anyone ever heard of putting LA 200 in the eyes - like squirting the stuff - to fight pink eye? And if so, does it work? Also... If it works, how long should I keep applying it? :help:

LizHartley1991":3osek11g said:
Forgive me if what I'm about to ask is ignorant, but has anyone ever heard of putting LA 200 in the eyes - like squirting the stuff - to fight pink eye? And if so, does it work? Also... If it works, how long should I keep applying it? :help:

I would not do that but I know some do. Oxytetracline is not intended for topical application which is what that suggests with a slight twist. It is intended to be a SQ injection.

LA300 might be a better choice as the mL per 100 pounds is less because it is higher concentration. LA200 requires a large dose.

People differ on which antibiotic is best for pinkeye. Oxytetracline certainly is known to combat pinkeye.

There is a powder product. Terramycin I believe that is marketed for that purpose. We have and do use it along with a injectable antibiotic pinkeye.
Wether it helps or not I couldn't say.

From what I've seen, about any form of treatment works... Some just better and faster acting than most..the ones I've seen done,and I've put in the eye in the past,was inject it in the third eyelid.. Though I don't recommend you do it..

yes I do it all the time and it works fantastic.

i had about 3/4 of my herd with it when i first got them, poured a couple 500ml bottles into a squirt gun and hit them all..

It's not labeled or approved for ophthalmic use. Is it damaging? I don't know.
However, ANYTHING that you squirt into the eye will be washed out in 10 minutes or less, with normal tear production... probably even faster with increased tearing.
Far better to use that LA-200 or 300 as a systemic (injectible) dose... therapeutic drug levels in tears is the same as in serum/tissue fluid, so... in an animal treated properly with an appropriate dose... the eye is constantly 'bathed' in a solution of oxytetracyline for the 48-72 hrs of treatment provided by a single injection of long-acting oxytet.

I had my vet tech tell me they've seen it happen.

I had a calf born, could see fine, it appeared, but eyes were blueish (black angus/angus cross calf). I didn't think much about it. I checked her to make sure she sucked,then checking twice a day as normal. Three days later blind as a bat. Gave B12 and LA300 and called the vet on Monday, day 4. The girls advised draxxin, Doc was out, so I gave that. Vet tech called me back later and also advised draxxin and said they had been seeing this, calf will be fine. By 7th day eyesight was coming back, and eyes clearing up. She could obviously see me on the eighth day, I put her back on the cow, in the chute, to make sure she still knew how (I had been bottle feeding), and she took right off. Turned them out.

If it wasn't pinkeye, then it was something that affected her eyes. No pinpoint spots that I could detect. I have been told it could be bvd causing it, but vet tech said pinkeye specifically. They didn't see the calf, but pics I had texted them.

Seems like the white dot I saw was off center. That was always a sign of IBR instead of pink. For IBR our vet gives a shot of some antibiotic directly under the skin of the eyeball and it clears up within a day or 2

dun":z8nj69u8 said:
Seems like the white dot I saw was off center. That was always a sign of IBR instead of pink. For IBR our vet gives a shot of some antibiotic directly under the skin of the eyeball and it clears up within a day or 2

Dun, sometimes a depot corticosteroid is used which is often milky in appearance like an antibiotic to reduce the inflammation of the uveitis and maybe what he uses.

We use a lot of topical antibiotics here with Pinkeye with good success as the only form of treatment. Most are in the form of mastitis preparations in particular Cloxacillin. Zoetis relabels a mastitis prep as Orbeninin Eye ointment, it is still in the tube with the long teat inserter. They claim therapeutic levels remain in the eye for up to 72hrs. Admin can be repeated after 48hrs but is not often necessary.

Ken

In the past, I've used a product I think was called "eye puffer" it's a powder that you "wfff" in their eye. As posted before really, don't have a feel for how great it worked as I did it along with a shot of antibiotic. If it's real bad I've always had the best luck with a shot and a patch. B&G

So I need to update some things about Mira

Mira is now 8 Days Old. She was found Monday (Nov 27th). She's very small and I can lift her up and carry her around without much trouble.

Her eyes are milky and glazed with one of the eyes having a more prominent white dot on the lower part of the eye (like at the bottom going toward the mouth) and her whites are pinkish red.

I've sprayed the LA 200 twice in her eyes. I'm wondering if it's having a negative effect though. She was stumbling around like a drunk this morning (6:30AM) to the point she flipped/supersaulted so hard she didn't move for a bit. And she didn't want to eat and it'd been 7 hrs since she's last eaten (I slept in by accident).

She's peeing so I don't suspect dehydration. Her poops are runny and green. She's still very skinny and if I pet her I can feel her ribs easily. She also seems to have a hard time keeping her head up and it stays as she tries to move her head around.

Her birth was apparently- seemingly - Okay when our farmhand first saw her that Monday. However, by Tuesday, he found her abandoned and laying on her side. Normally by this time of the year, the ground is hard and cool. But the weather is strange so it's been warm and wet. So my farmhand suspected that from being layed out on the wet and hot ground in dirty circumstances (muddy and overall cow covered area) that she'd gotten pink eye that way. We all also suspected that her birth might have traumatized her with mama abandoning her And freaking out.

Mira is usually able to eat 2 to 2 1/2 pints every feeding since I started feeding her with a turkey baster. Her walks - while wobbly - have never been this stumbling even after she first started taking steps.

I'm trying to talk to a vet soon but I do not have the money or means to pay a **** tone for her since I'm caring for her out of pocket with no help.

So I'm basically running blind myself.

talltimber":14o484lp said:
I had my vet tech tell me they've seen it happen.

I had a calf born, could see fine, it appeared, but eyes were blueish (black angus/angus cross calf). I didn't think much about it. I checked her to make sure she sucked,then checking twice a day as normal. Three days later blind as a bat. Gave B12 and LA300 and called the vet on Monday, day 4. The girls advised draxxin, Doc was out, so I gave that. Vet tech called me back later and also advised draxxin and said they had been seeing this, calf will be fine. By 7th day eyesight was coming back, and eyes clearing up. She could obviously see me on the eighth day, I put her back on the cow, in the chute, to make sure she still knew how (I had been bottle feeding), and she took right off. Turned them out.

If it wasn't pinkeye, then it was something that affected her eyes. No pinpoint spots that I could detect. I have been told it could be bvd causing it, but vet tech said pinkeye specifically. They didn't see the calf, but pics I had texted them.
Do I have to go to a vet to get Draxxin or can it be bought somewhere?

Yes, you have to go to a vet to get draxxin. If I were you I would load her up and take her to the vet's office. It will be relatively cheap. Good luck

LA is an irritant when injected I can only imagine what it would do in the eyes. They off set white spot still says IBR ask the vet what to do to treat it. As long as the poop isn;t shooting out of her I would worry more about the eyes and eating then the squirts.

Draxxin is vet only, no over the counter. I have been on a couple of the other threads you have posted on. I would never put LA200 or 300 directly on the eye due to the burning sensation of it but obviously others have. If she is now stumbling and flipping over, it would seem to me that she had some nerve damage or brain damage of some sort and there really isn't too much else to do for that. Have a farmer with a heifer calf that shows similiar symptoms. The heifer will fall over on her head and lie there, then after 5-20 minutes will struggle to get up. She eats but staggers like she is drunk and mostly relys on the sides of the small calf pen to keep her balance. It is heartbreaking to see her struggle so. I cannot see where it is a kindness to keep her alive. It is like she has seizures of some sort. You may not want to hear this, but if she was mine, I would not hesitate to put her down. I would not subject her to continued difficulty and possible pain and starvation.

farmerjan":25264wow said:
I cannot see where it is a kindness to keep her alive. It is like she has seizures of some sort. You may not want to hear this, but if she was mine, I would not hesitate to put her down. I would not subject her to continued difficulty and possible pain and starvation.
Pretty much sums it up!

Draxxin is a prescribed antibiotic.
You are still using the turkey baster? This is a risky way to feed the calf. I know you did not know how to use a tuber, but with a tuber (if done properly) puts the milk into the stomach. A turkey baster is just putting the liquid in her mouth & the liquid can get into her lungs. If so, there isn't much hope for her survival.
Stumbling and unable to hold the head up is sure sign that she is extremely weak.
Antibiotics kill bugs - good & bad - just like with people, she should get some Probias daily if she has antibiotics. Without good bugs in her stomach, she will definitely have the squirts.

Latest posts